Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What total BS they said in that magazine

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 10:34 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What total BS they said in that magazine

HEY, IT'S A JOKE, FOLKS! In fact, it is rather scarry that nobody seems to have realized that. Just proves that logic goes out the window when emotion rules!

I read the magazines and forum to get opinions, especially opinions from those who have long term saddle time on any particular machine.

The magazine guys have a big advantage over the average Joe, becuase they get to ride all the machines that are out there, and they get to keep them for long periods of time.

Most people own one machine, and that is all they ever ride. Ok, maybe they have traded off bikes with a friend now and then, but that doesn't count for much. The average Joe, really doesn't have the large base of experience to compare different machines, that the magazine guys have. That's the magazines advantage.

Still, it is just the magazine guy's opinion. Just one more opinion among hundreds.

And forget that crap about them favoring some advertisers. Sure, they make their living from advertisers, but if they favored any one, the rest would jump ship and they would be out of business real quick.

Old 09-12-2005, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: reconranger
HEY, IT'S A JOKE, FOLKS! In fact, it is rather scarry that nobody seems to have realized that. Just proves that logic goes out the window when emotion rules!

I read the magazines and forum to get opinions, especially opinions from those who have long term saddle time on any particular machine.

The magazine guys have a big advantage over the average Joe, becuase they get to ride all the machines that are out there, and they get to keep them for long periods of time.

Most people own one machine, and that is all they ever ride. Ok, maybe they have traded off bikes with a friend now and then, but that doesn't count for much. The average Joe, really doesn't have the large base of experience to compare different machines, that the magazine guys have. That's the magazines advantage.

Still, it is just the magazine guy's opinion. Just one more opinion among hundreds.

And forget that crap about them favoring some advertisers. Sure, they make their living from advertisers, but if they favored any one, the rest would jump ship and they would be out of business real quick.
Hey bud I understand your original sarcasm, and it was a good one too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] but I dont think the emotions issue is really behind any of the comments so far.

You make a great point about how most riders dont get the exposure or seat time on various different models like those who test ride for the mags., and I have seen how just this one machine or one part experience can make some of our opinions diffilcult to decifer (think about how messed up getting info on shocks is [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ).

Thats a good observation, but still doesnt explain or forgive for the screwed up reporting or reviews of so many items in the mags. or the obvious misleading of the readers.

You know something is wrong when the majority of the readers prefer the LETTERS, READERS RIDES, and other reader submitted sections over the rest of the publication.

Hey its still better than home and gardens, but they can do a whole lot better.

Old 09-12-2005, 09:45 PM
Red Rider

I would certainly like to see the magazines step it up a notch, and give us a lot more indepth technical stuff.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

I read atvrider & atv atvaction and I just bought 2 off the newstand at wal-mart that I have never read.....the infamous DIRTRIDER and a mag called QUAD.....I haven't read either yet except for a few pages of Dirtrider and they had about 5-6 pages of reader's pictures of their own personnal quads...that was my favorite part.....hats off to them for that! Does anyone know, is Dirtrider basically all quads or do they mix in a lot of dirtbikes too? .....I may have to subscribe to them....

Old 09-14-2005, 09:56 AM
Red Rider

Isn't Dirt Rider an all dirt bike mag, as I recall??? I read the dirt bike mags as well, because that is where our future ATV engines come from!

Dirt bike mags seem to be more technical, and have less of the silly stuff the the ATV mags run.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

reconranger, yep, that is why I am asking....I would have bet money that was the case but I just bought one of the newstand (Oct '05) and on the 4-5 pictures on the cover is nothing but atv's plus the first 15 pages I have read and every page I have just kind of flipped through until I read everything that interests me.....I didn't see a single dirtbike picture in it. Leads me to believe it is for quads......I just thought it was a really more of a dirtbike mag, I guess I would have lost that bet.

I like atvrider better than atvaction but so far (even after having those 2 for a yr) this ONE dirtrider is better than both of those.....all though they aren't bad or anything. Still haven't read my new QUAD mag I bought a few days ago....

Old 09-14-2005, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

Stocks if you can take a look at who the publisher is.

I think atv action is from the same people who make dirtwheels if I remember right, and I thought that they also had a sister called dirt rider for the two wheelers also.

One thing I do understand is that there is a real need for various trade or sport type magazines like those we love and hate etc as it does bring the mfg, dealers, and riders or users together in a single media, and thats actually good for all concerned.

I guess as the sport continues to grow it will be able to support additional magazines and even more good forums like this one, but I have to be honest I do prefer this type of media where its interactive and not just one sided like the printed stuff is.

Wouldnt it be great to be able to write back to the editor or writer of tech sections with your comments and ideas like you do here?

I know many still view the computer and internet as "new" or "trendy" and maybe even "scarry" as far as a advertizing medium, but once it starts to replace more of the printed media types of advertizing etc its going to get really interesting and I think we the consumer will deffinately come out on top.

Look at how there are so many replies to the which is better threads on every forum, and imagine if the testers or even the mfg's were able to interact with our comments how much info could be exchanged.

Maybe I should stop talking about such good ideas and just start setting something up that would bring it all together once and for all.

Old 09-23-2005, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Old DB has an opinion on this subject.. first off, I am glad to see so many enthusiasts supporting the advertisers and reading the mags... but I caution everyone to be very sceptical on any test that may be printed.

First off, there is the standardization issue. Without a standard test environment, with standards for handling/cornering, whoops ability etc.. the printed results are moot. Latest ATVMagazine TV show shootout I viewed even used multiple test tracks to test 4 sport machines. One machine was subjected to a professional MX track, while others (Including the winning model) were tested running around in the guy's back yard. The results can be misleading.

Next, I think a lot has to do with riders themselves. Skill levels, height and weight all contribute to the look and feel of any machine tested, yet you rarely are told this information. What may be a winning fit for a tall person, might be a nightmare for a short one..

Lastly, don't put much faith in testing. The only real measurement that counts is the feel of that machine between your legs. I don't care what Johnny Hotshoe has to say about the super zoot 600. What I feel in my butt is much more important. And always keep in mind that there is always someone with more money than you right around the corner.. and they will eventually smoke the best of the best...

Keep reading the articles for enjoyment only, and keep supporting the sponsors and advertizers... they are the ones really footing the bill.

Old 10-09-2005, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

Very well said DB

Old 10-10-2005, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

>>>>>>>>

Seems to me they favor ALL their advertisers. I don't find a lot of negativity amongst reviews of ATV's. The mag's seem to be more critical of aftermarket parts and such. So many quads are so similar that the only differences are either asthetics or minor features from one mfg to another.

Some of the opinions on these boards are much, much more biased and in some cases people absolutely contradict one another.

Quick Reply: What total BS they said in that magazine