Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What total BS they said in that magazine

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 06:30 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What total BS they said in that magazine

Secret be told, I actually read the Mags to find good riding areas. That is about the only thing I read in them... I will give the pictures a glance on tests, but in reality, I rarely read the shootouts.

I think the majority of us will admit to being biased towards one make or another, and it isn't going to matter what someone else says about the machine of our choice good or bad.. it isn't going to change our opinions.

There are certain makes that I would rather walk than ride. That isn't going to change... no matter how many shootouts other makes may supposedly win.

I just completed a very thorough survey this past weekend from a major manufacturer, and in it, they concentrated on their competition, and the reasons I bought a particular model from their rivals. The questions were very interesting and thought provoking. It is also great to really see from a factory persepctive what they "THINK" we are basing our purchase decisions on. Personally I think in some instances they were way off in left field, but on other points they were dead on. At least they are asking.

I hope that the factories are listening to our rants, and getting a feel for what is driving this sport.. so they can make the changes we are asking for... The really neat thing about these forums is that the real information is passed around.. and you do not get a left coast, or right coast perspective on the subjects. I have never riden in sand.. so what I think is important in a machine, is way different than someone who lives for the dunes. It is all relative... and I think important in our considerations.

Old 10-17-2005, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

I hope that the factories are listening to our rants, and getting a feel for what is driving this sport.. so they can make the changes we are asking for... The really neat thing about these forums is that the real information is passed around.. and you do not get a left coast, or right coast perspective on the subjects. I have never riden in sand.. so what I think is important in a machine, is way different than someone who lives for the dunes. It is all relative... and I think important in our considerations.
Well said!!!

I know the mfg's people read the mags, and some even this and other forums, and that hopefully is helping them to produce improved models etc.

The thing I am not sure of is if the magazine people are putting in much time reading the forums or listening to us or the mfg's [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-18-2005, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

I though it was kinda lame how in the August issue it said "The 30 Hottest Models" on it and in that section it was a combination of 3 different girls wearing 30 different T-shirts. There were only 3 different "models". I think on 2 of them were actually hot. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]Now dont get me wrong... I would never get a magazine to look at "models." Especialy not Dirtwheels but it seemed kinda like false advertising. Just thought that was kinda lame. Sorry to interupt...lol... carry on... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-27-2005, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

Just thought that was kinda lame.
Dont be sorry for thinking that since its seeming to be the most popular complaint (even if some word it different.)(

Old 10-27-2005, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

You have to love the marketing gimmicks... It got you to purchase the magazine did it not? Even under false pretenses...

Old 10-27-2005, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
You have to love the marketing gimmicks... It got you to purchase the magazine did it not? Even under false pretenses...
Actually I bought the magazine so i would have something to read on my flight to CA.

Old 10-31-2005, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: strongtyerYFZ
Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
Actually I bought the magazine so i would have something to read on my flight to CA.
Any chance your trip to CA was to alert hitorque publishing (who make dirt wheels) about this thread? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Seriously you cant argue the entertainment value of any hobby, sport, or related magazine that is about something you enjoy and are part of, but I feel most all of the issues addressed earlier have merit and with some extra work all the mag's could be better.

If anyone thinks they could help the problem I hear that DW is currently looking to hire an additional correspondent. Its out of CA or I would be on their tails already [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]