Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

RV MAN TURNED TO ATV BOY

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 05:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RV MAN TURNED TO ATV BOY

I RECENTELY MOVED MY TRAILER TO A NEW CAMPGROUND, WELL THE PLACE HAS AN ATV TRAIL, I WANT TO PURCHASE AN INEXPENSIVE ATV, AT LEAST 150CC TO 200CC. I SEE ALL THESE NEW COMPANYS ON THE INTERNET I READ GOOD AND BAD REVIEWS, I GUESS ITS THE PICK OF THE STRAW, I KIND OF LIKE THE KAZUMA DINGO 150, THERE IS THIS COMPANY THAT I THINK ITS CALLED VIVA HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THIS

Old 09-14-2005, 06:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forums almyles! Personelly, I have never heard of Viva, but then again, there are a lot of importers out there bringing the Chinese knockoffs in these days. Before knowing how the Kazuma would fit you, you should give some additional info. How big are you-height? weight? What kind of riding do you want to do? Do you like speed? WIll you be riding in hilly or steep terrain? Got mud? Should the ATV be capable of any type of work? how mechanically inclined are you? Will parts be available for your purchase? Remember, this is just my opinion here, but a 150 is generally just good for some light trail cruising. If you are a big or tall guy you may be to large for a 150. Also, brands such as Kazuma have been making headway on the reliabilty front, but many models are not up to par with the Japanese and American manufacturers. Something like a Honda 250ex is a rock solid and dependable atv that is likely to be more reliable used than just about any Chinese brand quad will new. If you have never ridden before, see if anyone at the campground will let you try out there toys. One thing all atv'ers have in common is we love to talk about our machines. Use this to get some feedback on specific brands or types of atv's. i look forward to hrlping you further.

Old 09-14-2005, 10:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey thanks scooter 86
i am 44 years old i was a diret bikers back in 1973-4 i had a couple of suzuki 75's and then i graduated to the 125cc
anyhow i am about 5'10 about 150 pounds, well the new season at the campground starts in may 2006, so i have a little time and a lot of questions, i really appreciate you 411, i have a 38 foot rv travel trailer, bought it new a few years ago , kind of got bored, when i visited this new campground i noticed the atv, man the atv bug bit me man, my budget is a little slim but i must make some sacrifices thank scooter 86

Old 09-14-2005, 10:49 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everybody I know who has bought one of the "off brand" machines, has had lots of trouble with them! The few bucks you save, isn't going to be worth the agravation of constant problems. Personally, I stick to the big 4 only: Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, and Kawasaki.

There are lots of great machines in the intro class. But, while a 125cc 2-stroke dirt bike is fairly hot, a 125cc quad is NOT. I would suggest something like a Honda 250EX or Recon as a nice starter machine, but you may get bored in a fairly short time, and want to step up to something larger.

Old 09-14-2005, 11:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! That's a big RV. This is a great place for info, check the kids quads and other atvs section for info and owners of Kazumas. You have time before next year, so read and learn all you can before making a purchase. Additionally, at least flip through the industry rags. Despite what many would have you believe, they do a good job writing non-biased info about machines, riding skills, riding locations, gear, etc. ATVRider and now QUAD are my favs, but DirtWheels/ATVAction are good also. If you need to stay within a tight budget and won't have much for repairs later, I strongly suggest you look at Used Hondas or Suzukis. Both have smaller models with good/excellent reliability ratings. Also, these things are heavier and not as powerful as the bikes, so go for a bigger motor if you can. Were you able to walk the trails at all, or talk to riders thet have used the trails? BTW, I bought a nice 85 Quadracer for $1500.00 a few years ago. It needed a little work, but is pretty solid, and a blast to ride. There are some good deals out there if you are patient.

Old 09-18-2005, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider

yueah dude i would wait a while and look for a good deal on a used yammie, suzuki, honda. for your size you might fit a blaster they can be found pretty cheap and are pretty peppy but they are two strokes so require a little more maintence and sometimes top end rebuilds which are no big deal, also kawasaki mojaves can sometimes be found pretty cheap.;

Old 09-23-2005, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

With limited funds available, I'd opt for a used Blaster, warrior, or TRX250. If you want 4 wheel drive, you might look for a used Timberwolf or any of the many low end hondas.

I have to recommend sticking to major brands... Parts and service availability is universal across the country. You may have to do the fix it yourself route on a cheap one... that is after you wait 3 months for parts.