Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Vinson or Foreman

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vinson or Foreman

This would be my second Qaud moving from a Yamaha wolverine. love it but not enough low end working power. im torn by the vinsons sportiness and the honda realiablty. please help[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 09-21-2005, 03:33 PM
rv
Pro Rider

if you need something that gutless you should buy a 360 kawasaki 4x4 its just as reliable and will out pull the honda all day long

Old 09-21-2005, 03:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well IMO you are looking at two different ends of the spectrum in the 500 class. The foreman is a more utilitarian machine with low gearing and lots of grunt for working tasks while the vinson is more of a sport ute machine with the power delivery of the engine, gearing, handling, and design. If you spend more time playing on the trails and dont usually see working tasks the vinson would be the better choice, if you want a work machine thats still going to be able to take you on a trail ride the foreman is it.

Old 09-21-2005, 04:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I guess I'd have to respectfully disagree. The 450 Foremans are pretty much geared to work, but the 500 seems to have sportier handling and nicer suspension. I find mine to be a fun trail quad, though it does still have the low 1st gear, and the powerband is in the lower RPM's compared to Suzuki.

The Suzuki will be faster. Personally, I like the fit and finish on the Honda better and I also suspect it will have better reliability in the long run (especially the manual shift).

I think you would enjoy either.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:37 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

I have never riden a Vision, however just spend some time on a Foreman. That thing rides rough. My back has never been as sore. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 09-22-2005, 02:40 PM
Eternal Rider
Building A Runway To Hell & Back!
The engine is the heart of an airplane, but the pilot is its soul. ~Walter Raleigh

I'll offer my .02 cents . I participate in 8-12 quad rallies and pulls per year , as well as do alot of riding with family and friends etc. , from what i have seen you can't beat the Vinson for a 500 class machine . They pull weight very well , they do mud well , and are a sportier machine than the Honda . Not trying to bash Honda at all as they have a good reputation for reliability as they have been around for so long and have proven themselves . The ride of the Foreman leaves something to be desired though . Have you considered the Brute Force 650 ? I myself own a KVF 650 (essentially a BF 650 ) and a KVF 700 and have had no major issues with either one . The price difference between the 500 ' s and V-twin Kawi 's are definitely worth a look , and the performance difference is a fair bit greater . If you are focused on a 500 though , i would highly recommend the Vinson .

Old 09-22-2005, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

Thank you all for your advice. im leaning towards the vinson, since my last quad was sport utilty
and I was pretty happy with that. I thought about the kawi big bores but it's a little two much machine for me. going from 350 to 650 is little to much too jump for. all i will really be doing is dragging tree limbs and oak rounds. Thank you for your help and more advice would be appreciated.

Old 09-24-2005, 01:05 AM
Eternal Rider
Building A Runway To Hell & Back!
The engine is the heart of an airplane, but the pilot is its soul. ~Walter Raleigh

Originally posted by: wiswolvy
Thank you all for your advice. im leaning towards the vinson, since my last quad was sport utilty
and I was pretty happy with that. I thought about the kawi big bores but it's a little two much machine for me. going from 350 to 650 is little to much too jump for. all i will really be doing is dragging tree limbs and oak rounds. Thank you for your help and more advice would be appreciated.
Don't think in terms of too much machine for right now , think how you will be glad later on that you bought enough machine that you can use it too its full potential . Remember YOU control the throttle , you can ride it how you feel comfortable , but if you need more it is there for you to use . [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-07-2006, 03:47 AM
Pro Rider

WOW that was a while ago ended up getting a prarie 650 and amazd at the power!!!! Although it needs new tires know of any good light ones