Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Hard Working ATV

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2000, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all! I have enjoyed this website for some time and finally have a need to post. My family and I recently took over responsibility for my late father's farm. The neighbour does the field work, but I need to take care of the bush and fence rows on weekends. I have been thinking of using a utility atv as a replacement for a small tractor. Which models would fit the bill? Most of the work would involve clearing logs, hauling wood, grading and snow removal. Pulling power is important; speed and comfort are not. Any thoughts on the Suzuki King Quad or Honda Foreman? They seem more utilitarian than the Yamaha/Kawasaki models I have seen. Dealer support of AC/Polaris in my area is slim. Please note that utility is key.

Old 10-25-2000, 06:10 PM
Trailblazer

I don't know anything about the Suzuki, but I have owned two Foreman's. I had a '95 400 and now have a '99 450S. I have had exceptional service with both and have used them for plowing snow, grading dirt and gravel, all with out the use of weights or tire chains. I'm sure you would be happy with the Honda Foreman. Or, you might even consider the Rubicon. Good luck, Jim.

Old 10-25-2000, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

JeffG:
If you've been around for a while now, chances are you've seen the AC forum, and the posts on working 'Cats in there. As a result, and my own opinion, I think the AC 500 would be your best bet-too bad there's no dealers in your area for you to look at.

Between the two you mentioned, I don't know a whole lot about the Suzuki itself. I see a lot of the 450's around here, and most of the farmers use them-mostly for their resale value, they go through a quad about every other year or so. You won't have the features or comfort of the AC, but it is a strong, hard working machine, and should fit the bill nicely for you. Don't know as I'd go with anything smaller than the 450, as you never really know what kind of work you'll be doing with it. I personnally like to have the power on hand if I ever need it, rather than need it and be without.

The 450's are great machines, and should do everything you would want to do with it. They've also got the ES model if you don't like shifting with your foot. Reliability, well, it's a Honda so that speaks for itself, and resale is high as well.

Best of luck with your decision,

Mike

Old 10-25-2000, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As the owner/operator of a 87 Suzuki 4x4 quad and a 97 model King Quad,I'd like to tell you that this quad is certainly one to concider,especially for the pulling/working you mentioned.

With its sub tranny ranges and Super Low/Diff lock moad,you can pull a ton with this quad as long as you can get the traction.It is also a very good work horse to.Dependablilty is a strong feature to.

The Honda Foreman has one of the WORST front differentials for a working/pulling 4x4 quad in harsh conditions.It only supplies torque to ONE front wheel.This could be very troublesome when you need SUPERIOUR traction in bad situations.The Suzuki King Quad has a locking differential that will allow torque to BOTH front tires at the same time.If the working and pulling you will be doing is not in super really bad conditions,the Honda will work out great,however,if the best of traction and power is needed in harsh conditions,the KQ,with the locking diff and super low range,is MY choice,
Bill

Old 10-26-2000, 10:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the comments and information to date. Cowboy, I did get to the local AC dealer. He only seemed interested in talking about the Hondas that they also sell. The local Polaris dealer is very small. Polaris equipment is his only product line and I'm afraid he isn't going to be recession proof in the coming years.

Is it possible that the kind of drivetrain that is offered by Suzuki in the King Quad can make up for the torque offered by larger displacement atv's of other brands? Though somewhat smaller in displacement at 280cc, it's 3 range transmission seems interesting. Is this a proven set-up? Do the belt drive torque converter models have any benefits/pitfalls when compared to gear driven models? Automatics would be easier for the kids to use when they help, but do manual transmissions offer any benefits in this category of atv?

Thanks again for the help! Based on the cost of new a compact tractor, I could probably do well with an utility atv and a used tractor for the same overall cost.

Old 10-26-2000, 02:28 PM
Trailblazer

Check out the suzuki quadrunner 500. You can not buy an ATV with more torque than this one (unless you buy the AC500 which has the suzuki motor). I believe this engine has 32 horsepower. Very powerful. I would go with the AC500 or quadrunner 500 for work around the farm. Fun trail riding machine as well. You also will not have to worry about adding larger tires. Both have plenty of power to turn them.

Old 10-30-2000, 03:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

I think the 400 Bayou 4x4 will fit the bill 400cc's this one caters to the farmer type. check out the brochure. you MAY want or need to Add a winch to the front.
Plowing snow is hard without the right attatchment since ATV's are so light. Kawasaki has many helpful accessories. snow thrower or Plow included.
Otherwise look at the Kawasaki "Mule".
I too have a ranch and am on my second Kawasaki Bayou, after about 15 years I wore it out and still got $2500 for it. you know, I can have any quad out there, but I've found the options of the Bayou perfect for my needs. Look close at one. Of course I use the tractor for much larger jobs and I have trailers for each if needed. let me know what you think of these for your needs.