Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Are you a utility rider who doesn't really like utes ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 02:31 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are you a utility rider who doesn't really like utes ???

Anywhere a 2 wheel drive ute can go a sport quad will go. I don't really know many trails that a sporty 4x4 is going to help you tackle. If you can't get a sport OR ute through a trail, then you might as well get a mule because a sporty 4x4 isn't going to do it.

However, I do understand that some of you would like a up to date sport 4x4 to play around on and to try and ahve the best of both worlds. But I don't really see why it is a must for conquering a trail.

For me, I would like a ute, but only for work reasons and to play around on to try and get stuck just to goof off. When I go somewhere to ride like a park, my weapon of choice would be a light, nimble, sport quad. (or bike[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img])

Old 10-27-2005, 02:54 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 350-450 pound sport quad is a lot easier to pull out of a hole or push through one than a 550-650 pound utility.

Old 10-27-2005, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: motox26
Anywhere a 2 wheel drive ute can go a sport quad will go. I don't really know many trails that a sporty 4x4 is going to help you tackle. If you can't get a sport OR ute through a trail, then you might as well get a mule because a sporty 4x4 isn't going to do it.

However, I do understand that some of you would like a up to date sport 4x4 to play around on and to try and ahve the best of both worlds. But I don't really see why it is a must for conquering a trail.

For me, I would like a ute, but only for work reasons and to play around on to try and get stuck just to goof off. When I go somewhere to ride like a park, my weapon of choice would be a light, nimble, sport quad. (or bike[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img])
My last spring trip was miserable on my 300EX. The trail was covered in just 1"-2"of snow and I got stuck on almost every hill. I either had to muscle it around to unstick it and try again or hook up the tow rope and by dragged by the 4x4s that made it around with ease. That trip I swore of 2x4s, ute or sport, as my main ride and bought my King Quad before my Fall trip I just returned from a few weeks ago.

So out of 6 quads, 5 4x4s made it, one 2x4 (me) didn't. A mule would not even fit on the trails, especially height wise, I awlays have to slide off the seat so only one leg is over the seat and my body in a footwell to go under trees. Plus there are hillclimbs that would turn a Mule into a coffin.

Old 10-27-2005, 05:15 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: CBF2

My last spring trip was miserable on my 300EX. The trail was covered in just 1"-2"of snow and I got stuck on almost every hill. I either had to muscle it around to unstick it and try again or hook up the tow rope and by dragged by the 4x4s that made it around with ease. That trip I swore of 2x4s, ute or sport, as my main ride and bought my King Quad before my Fall trip I just returned from a few weeks ago.

So out of 6 quads, 5 4x4s made it, one 2x4 (me) didn't. A mule would not even fit on the trails, especially height wise, I awlays have to slide off the seat so only one leg is over the seat and my body in a footwell to go under trees. Plus there are hillclimbs that would turn a Mule into a coffin.

I don't know if you meant this in disagreement to my post or not. But, I never said a sport quad will go everywhere a 4x4 will go. I said a sporty will go anywhere a 2x4 ute will go.

Im all about everybody having different views, but there is no way a quad can go anywhere a mule can go. Whether it is climbings hills, rough terrain, or water crossing, a mule will go a lot more places with a person on it's back than a quad. I hate to admit it, but a mule or horse will out do any motorized vehicle when tackling obstacles.

BTW, a mule is not a donkey incase you didn't already know that.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-27-2005, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

I thought you said mule as in Kawasaki Mule,[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-27-2005, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Toyeboy
A utility can take you more places and it's more comfortable...but sometimes I do wish I could hit some of the jumps I see without feeling like I'm breaking something.
same here. lol. i bought a ute so i could go though anything i want comfortably and without problems.... and then.... if i want.... i could gut it and go juzt as fast as a sport. thats wat big bores are for [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-27-2005, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

>>>>I got a King Quad because I felt it was the sportiest quad you could get with 4x4 and alot of power (Scamblers need not apply). I love it and it serves my needs but if a 4x4 450R or YFZ ever came out I would be the first in line to trade it in. I even thought about making one before I bought the KQ but quickley reentered the real world.
Where I ride 4x4 is required and not even because of mud--I hate the stuff, too much work to clean, too hard on componets. I need 4x4 for monster downed trees, boulders (not rocks, boulders), and $hit your pants hill climbs and decents (need the 4x4 so have front wheel engine braking).<<<<

There's not much going for a 4x4 sport quad for the things you say you'd want to use one for. Using a YFZ frame and chain driven setup simply woundn't work for pulling big boulders and downed trees and definitely not plowing, it would bend the frame and after adding 4wd it would be to heavy to be much of an actual sport quad. So this is probably why no manufacture like Yamaha has made a true sport 4x4 it's simply to complicated and not that practical for either use by the time their done changing everything, I'd rather have one(ute) or the other(sport).

Old 10-27-2005, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

Nope, to me a sport would be about useless. Mine Ute is used to haul a trailer loaded with wood or dirt, pull trees, if the tree is too big to pull and all 4 wheels are spinning I have to go cut it down some more, plowing mainlt snow. I also like the more cushy ride of a ute. Rode a friends hopped up pred once. Was ok but way too choppy when hitting bumps. Also hitting 3rd & looking at the tree tops was rather un-nerving.

Old 10-27-2005, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Toyeboy<br
There's not much going for a 4x4 sport quad for the things you say you'd want to use one for. Using a YFZ frame and chain driven setup simply woundn't work for pulling big boulders and downed trees and definitely not plowing, it would bend the frame and after adding 4wd it would be to heavy to be much of an actual sport quad. So this is probably why no manufacture like Yamaha has made a true sport 4x4 it's simply to complicated and not that practical for either use by the time their done changing everything, I'd rather have one(ute) or the other(sport).

Who is pulling them? I want to ride over them. It does not have to be complicated, for the YFZ keep the rear as is, alter the front as neccessary for a diff, and add some new front knuckles. To drive it use hydraulics. Don't say they can't do that, Yamaha has already developed the technology to create a two wheel drive dirt bike. The front wheel is hydraulicly driven off a traditional bike style engine that drives a rear wheel via chain and sprocket. The design there is done, they just need to design a hydraulic front diff and then assemble all the pieces.

I do not want them to turn a YFZ or 450R into a ute! I want them to turn it into a 450R or YFZ with 4x4, thats it. No racks, storage, hitches, winches, tow ratings, autos, hi/lo, digital displays, nothing. Just front diff, a means to turn it, and some axles.

Old 10-27-2005, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

Look folks, here it is on a WR450, hell it probably fits the YFZ engine already!

How it works Pics of the system on a WR450F

Quick Reply: Are you a utility rider who doesn't really like utes ???