Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

My sons first quad...HELP!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 08:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My sons first quad...HELP!!!!!!

Hello all,,,I need some good advise. I went looking for quads today to get one for my son he is 14 and not really an experienced rider,, he has used his friends quad a few times. Here is the other thing,, I am looking also for something I can use to plow my driveway....should I be buying 2 quads? or is there a likelyness that I can find one to suite our needs? any adivse is appreciated.
Thank you

Old 11-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

Depending on what your son wants it may be possible to acheive both.

First off since he is 14 you aren't technically supposed to buy him a quad over 90cc. This rule is...let me put it mildly...f***ing retarded. Feel free to ignore it. Most people do. Just don't bring him when if you go to a dealer. And if you do, lie about his age.

With that said you can probably get a small 4x4 that has a mount for a plow, which will meet his need for a quad, and your need for something to plow with.

Old 11-06-2005, 10:32 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the 250's (Honda 250EX if he prefers a sport bike or Recon if a utility) is perfect for a 14 year old, even a beginner. Just make him take it real easy until he is very comfortable on the machine. Neither of these is 4wd, so they aren't going to do plowing snow.

Get yourself a 4wd that will plow snow. I prefer the Honda Rancher myself (not to big and not to small), and make riding a father/son activity. It will be the best money you ever spent!

Old 11-06-2005, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

how agout polaris' new hawkeye?

Old 11-06-2005, 11:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A few things, if you can swing it, get one for each of you and enjoy riding together. Second, I always have felt it is better to put a new, young rider on something with good handling and lighter weight. The 250 auto quads fit this description nicely. Realistically, a 4x4 may be a bit to heavy/ ill handling for a 14 y/o to be safe on. You CAN plow with a 2wd quad, I've done it out here in the snow belt of Western NY. If you have any hills, or get much more than 6" at a pop life will be rough though. A typical residential blacktop drive of 65' or so might be do able, but 4wd is preferred.

Old 11-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger
One of the 250's (Honda 250EX if he prefers a sport bike or Recon if a utility) is perfect for a 14 year old, even a beginner.

Get yourself a 4 x 4 quad and make riding a father/son activity. It will be the best money you ever spent!
Definitely! I loved riding dirtbikes with my dad as a kid and my kids love riding quads with their mom!

Plus, you do NOT want to let your son ride unsupervised - that is just bad stuff begging to happen. My oldest 2 are 15 and 14 and they do not ride alone, even after 4.5 years.

Old 11-08-2005, 12:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

i would recommend a polaris magnum or a polaris sportsman 400 just dont tell the dealer that your is like 17 or just dont bring him cuz hes not supposed 2 drive eny thing over 90cc which i believe is a bunch a crap feel free to ignor it lots a ppl do just make sure he knows how 2 opperate the bike

Old 11-08-2005, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

Just get him this , he'll love it!!!

Old 11-08-2005, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

I hope your kidding Sparky! he would kill himself on that.

I think you should get two quads. one for yourself to enjoy and plow snow. there as many options as opionions on what to get and one for your son. Find out if he wants a sport quad or utility and go from there. I wouldmt recommend anything over 300 cc in a sport quad though at that age and 400 for utility.

Old 11-08-2005, 05:39 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: nwcutie, you do NOT want to let your son ride unsupervised - that is just bad stuff begging to happen. My oldest 2 are 15 and 14 and they do not ride alone, even after 4.5 years.
I agree. Bad idea for anyone to ride alone. Accidents can happen. We came up on one guy that had been pinned under his for a while. He couldn't get it off. He tried to go up a hill and it just rolled back over on him. And I won't get into the times I've had to push my ride home or to camp after a wreck.

Quick Reply: My sons first quad...HELP!!!!!!