Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Suzuki 400 or Raptor 350 for my wife...Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 04:29 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suzuki 400 or Raptor 350 for my wife...Any suggestions?

400ex's have a better reputation for durability and requires less maintenance. Doesn't sound like she'll be racing so I don't see why the extra 2hp of the Z would matter in the real world? But it does have slightly more power. Either would be good though.

There is a reason the Yamaha has a 6-speed. The 2-valve engine has a limited rpm range compared to the 400's. Guess its OK, but I wouldn't buy one.

Old 11-15-2005, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm, I know the raptor 350 is based on the old warrior. I alos know that it has proven to be a great machine for me... and one I prefer over my Raptor 660 for trail riding. I don't find it to have many bad habits. The machine is absolutely bulletproof. You ar enot going to have any maintenence problems with it, and I like to ride, not fix it. The reverse is a little hard to get used to, but it is usable.

I bought my wife a RancherAT 450... and she loves it... in two wheel drive mode. Put it in 4x4 and it is hard to steer for her. It is a much better fit for her compared to my Rubicon though.

Old 11-15-2005, 09:50 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

At her size and weight, she is going to be better off on something like a 300EX! It is maybe the best trail bike of all time. Wish I still had mine. The 250EX is a nice machine as well, but the 300 has real sport bike suspension and a plusher ride than the 250.

Old 11-15-2005, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

First off:

The Raptor350 is nothing at all like the old Warrior and ANY sense. We had a Warrior and my wife hated it, the thing handled like a tank by comparison.

I bought her a Raptor350 and she loves it. She's flying on the thing now, but I would not trust her to ride as hard on my machine. The z400 engine is ok for a beginner with a lot of other riding experience like dirtbikes or go-carts or anything. But it has IMO too much of a bite in the mid-range for the true beginner. You can get yourself into trouble pretty quickly when those things hook up.

The Raptor350 is quick enough and takes well to mods, and handles great. Sure it's air-cooled but I believe the 400ex still is too. The Raptor is also a bit smaller than the z400 and easier to handle for a smaller person.

My advice is to check out the Raptor350 as it is, and DO NOT think it's a Warrior with new plastic because it's not. The engine is the same but that's really all besides some similar frame geometry on the A-pillars. They moved the engine and tilted it forward for better balance, they moved the foot-pegs and seat height to a nice location and the whole angle of the machine is totally different. Ergonomically the quad is excellent, even compared to anything out there. It has nice fat YFZ-style foot-pegs that are a great addition for a beginner or expert to stand on. Unless she's ready to take on Stephanie Parton I don't think she needs anything more.

Old 11-15-2005, 04:37 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.

The 400's aren't exactly crotch rockets, ss97. They are far from fast or excessively powerful. I would say they are merely adequate.

I'm always amused that just because we're talking about a woman, the displacement is automatically decreased on the recommendations like they have inferior capabilities. If it was a 25 year old male, would you really push the 350?

Old 11-15-2005, 05:27 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: ss97
First off:

The Raptor350 is nothing at all like the old Warrior and ANY sense. We had a Warrior and my wife hated it, the thing handled like a tank by comparison.

I bought her a Raptor350 and she loves it. She's flying on the thing now, but I would not trust her to ride as hard on my machine. .

The Rappy 350 is nothing but an updated Warrior. There is not enough improvements on the Rappy to make anyone a "better" rider.

Same engine + Same chassis = relatively same quad. The chassis and the engine are simply outdated.

Old 11-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!

Originally posted by: Raptorlegs

I'm always amused that just because we're talking about a woman, the displacement is automatically decreased on the recommendations like they have inferior capabilities. If it was a 25 year old male, would you really push the 350?
No, they wouldn't even push a 400cc! It would have to be a 450, or a Big Bore then.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 11-16-2005, 07:46 AM
Pro Rider

My 2 cents, my wife is also kinda small, 5 foot 2 and just over a 100 lbs, she rode the 400 and the Raptor 350, we ended up with the Raptor 350. She is not an agressive rider and it goes everywhere she wants to go. If your wife rode them both and liked the 400 better, go for the 400. I also would second the recomendation to check out the 400ex honda.

Old 11-17-2005, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Now 'legs, I will have to throw in here... yes I'd still recommend that a novice go with a lower end model, and not with a big bore or Yz450F or Honda 450 etc... Especially if we are talking a younger person...

Why, well maybe that buckets of experience tells me it is prudent. I do not mean it to be a divot to some guy's manlihood... just statistically speaking, novice riders (Gender neutral) tend to get in over their heads quickly in the beginning... Don't be is such a hurry to die is good advice...

Old 11-17-2005, 11:05 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
Now 'legs, I will have to throw in here... yes I'd still recommend that a novice go with a lower end model, and not with a big bore or Yz450F or Honda 450 etc... Especially if we are talking a younger person...
That's the problem these days, if it isn't a 450 or a big-bore it isn't cool![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Don't be is such a hurry to die is good advice...
But being crazy has kept me from going insane.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

(quoted from Waylon Jennings)

Quick Reply: Suzuki 400 or Raptor 350 for my wife...Any suggestions?