Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Suzuki 400 or Raptor 350 for my wife...Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki 400 or Raptor 350 for my wife...Any suggestions?

I am so with you on that... but now that I have gotten past that half century crisis... things that I did when I was younger are starting to haunt me.. and some of the memories HURT a lot. They say "PAY BACK is HELL-O " I am living proof...

And just who the heck ARE these "They" people anyway.. I'd like to give them a piece of my mind.. but unfortunately, I have given away so much of it already, that I can't seem to find enough to go around any more.... Maybe that explains why my hair is falling out too... Smart people these "they"

Old 11-17-2005, 11:19 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: motox26
Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
Now 'legs, I will have to throw in here... yes I'd still recommend that a novice go with a lower end model, and not with a big bore or Yz450F or Honda 450 etc... Especially if we are talking a younger person...
That's the problem these days, if it isn't a 450 or a big-bore it isn't cool![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Don't be is such a hurry to die is good advice...
But being crazy has kept me from going insane.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

(quoted from Waylon Jennings)

True. In my day, they started us out on 250's.

Tecate, 250r, quadracer..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 11-17-2005, 11:33 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

In all sincerity, I think it's a darned if you do, darned if you don't situation. You buy a smaller quad, you tend to give up width and suspension (which translated means worse handling). I just believe a little more power is the lesser evil. And CAN be a good thing in certain circumstances.

Old 11-17-2005, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Yeah, if the power that the machines make today were equal to the ones we had when we were young I'd agree, but these little bullets are so much faster now. Suspensions have gotten TOO GOOD. Tires are like cat claws, and people get hurt on them at an alarming rate. Maybe my perspective has changed over the years.. my hope is that everyone ease into the sport safely, and without the horror stories and war scars to show for it... Of course they won't be much fun around the camp fire with nothing to show for it, but I suspect they will be thankful when they are still able to walk without a cane when they are 50. Unless of course you LIKE pain, and shelling out real dollars for surgery and emergency room visits... Then you get to join an elite group, such as ours eh?

Old 11-17-2005, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

i'll add another .01 or .02.
I think she's better off with a KFX/Z or 400EX instead of the Raptor 350. The 400 machines are something she can grow into. The 350 is something that I think can be grown out of fairly quickly. I saw it happen in our group.

I have a KFX, and I've always had Honda blood. From what I've read, the 400EX is a little more friendly to just putting around in stock form. I had an XR400 dirt bike that I just sold. I will say that's a bulletproof motor. I also just put a 13t countershaft sprocket on my KFX to make 2nd gear more usable on the trails.

I love my KFX, but she may be more comfortable on a 400EX, as it sounds like it may be a little better suited for her - with a little smoother power delivery.

I considered the TRX400EX before buying my KFX, but there were several things that put me on the KFX:

I'm 6'3. I did feel more cramped on the Honda than the KFX. Also, even though the manufacturer specs on the web sites are almost identical, the Honda sits about 2.5" lower than the KFX/Z.

The battery on the Honda is exposed to the elements (look under the left rear fender). The Z/KFX battery is under the seat.

While you're looking at it - go ahead and try to take the seat off the Honda and put it back on. It's a real PITA. The rear plastic comes off with the seat.

The Honda has a storage tube near the rear grab rail. The cap on the end is pretty loose and I can see it coming off pretty easily and you losing whatever you have in there. That's easy enough to remedy.

I could have gotten the Honda or KFX at the same price (leftover '05), and with the above factors, I ended up on the KFX.

They're both great machines. Have her go sit on them both, and compare them. Make your decision from there.

Old 11-17-2005, 12:24 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
Yeah, if the power that the machines make today were equal to the ones we had when we were young I'd agree,?
But the 250 2-smokers, the twin 350, and the zilla 500 had as much power as what we do now for the most part. Those would actually be more dangerous because that power is so abrupt all at once. AND, there chassis and suspension were not as good as todays machines to handle that power.

Old 11-17-2005, 12:36 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

Read where the tecate 3 did like 78 mph in stock form. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Not bad for a 250cc. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-17-2005, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

The 400's aren't exactly crotch rockets, ss97. They are far from fast or excessively powerful. I would say they are merely adequate.
I would not say rockets either, but you guys are acting like we are talking about a 300ex here.

For a true beginner the Raptor350 is more than fine. It has room to grow into and it IS NOT a Warrior.

You people who think it is have obviouisly not ridden one or even compared the two side-by-side. There are so many changes it's not even the same machine. Yamaha left alone only those things that were not an issue in being out dated. It's a nice little machine and it's great for the begginer to intermediate rider who is not racing MX or ripping the dunes.

Most of the people on this forum are long past the beginner stage and have forgotten exactly what it's like to be one.

Yes a beginner can learn on a z400 and grow into it and all that good stuff. But I've been riding a long time and mine is fast enough to get me into situations where the power is too much. There are times when I've come through sections with the front end in the air and no steering at all because I hooked up and a time I didn't expect to get such good traction. As as experienced rider I can get the front tire to touch in time to steer away from a tree, but some less experience riders might not. Anything that can put you on your A$$ with a flick of the throttle is too much in my book for a beginner. And the problem is not often in the very beginning either, it's about 3-months down the road when said beginner starts to get confidence that he/she can "handle" thier machine better than they actually can.

And of course is all depends on WHERE you ride. Out in the dunes, of course a z400 is not going to be even a little scary. But in the tight woods, it's a different game all together.

Old 11-17-2005, 01:01 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

[quote]
Originally posted by: ss97
Anything that can put you on your A$$ with a flick of the throttle.
I find bringing the front end up easily to be a good thing when going over large objects. Keeps you from from high centering.

And I think you guys are exaggerating the front ends being "light". They are just more balanced.

Old 11-17-2005, 02:19 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: ss97

I would not say rockets either, but you guys are acting like we are talking about a 300ex here.
A 300ex is comparable to a Warrior, or Raptor 350 in this case.

For a true beginner the Raptor350 is more than fine. It has room to grow into and it IS NOT a Warrior...
I agree a Rap350 is good for a beginner. But it's still pretty much a Warrior. It may be a little more comfy and look flashy, but it's not much faster in a straight line and it still handles like a tank. Charactoristics of a Warrior.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Suzuki 400 or Raptor 350 for my wife...Any suggestions?