Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Engine displacement for logging roads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 11:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine displacement for logging roads?

G'day all,

I'm looking for an atv to get me up logging roads to trailheads for climbing and hiking. I live in Vancouver and would use the vehicle in the coast mountains, below 8000 feet. Usually I have to walk these roads, it would be much more fun (and quicker) to climb them on a quad. They're generally too steep, rutted or loose for my car and often have waterbars. I weigh 150 pounds and with backpack so total weight would be around 200 pounds.

I'm trying to find out what kind of displacement I need to be able to climb these long logging road hills. I don't want a big powerhouse, since I can't afford that, just a machine the will get me partway up the mountain.

Usually the distance is between 5 and 20 km. I don't need to cover that in 10 minutes (can't afford a big new qad anyway), so essentially, if the quad can make it without overheating, it's good enough for me. Did I mention I was poor? I'd like to keep it under 2 grand (I know, I know).

I'd love to be able to get a canadian tire quad as it would fit my budget, but I'm expecting that 90cc won't cut it, plus it's a very small quad. So how much displacement should I get?

I'd love to have some knowledgeable input on this.

Thanks!
Benoit

Old 11-25-2005, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 250 class machine would do it. Not the fastest of course, and you may have to rejet for the altitude but it could get you there. Lot faster than walking. For two grand, you should be able to find a three year old or older Ozark, Recon or similar.

By far the best choice would be one of the new big bore EFI quads, but you're looking at around $7K.

Jaybee

Old 11-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

I would look at a 350-400cc 4x4 quad like a Rancher, Big Bear, Wolverine, or Eiger ect.

Old 11-26-2005, 01:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider

If youre serious about staying under 2 grand...that rules out a 4x4. Even totally trashed 4bys go for that.

I agree with the 250cc being enough, but there isnt anything new for that 2 grand. Personally, i would only look at the name brands, like honda suzi yami or kawi, stay away form the imports, unless youre handy with a wrench and have alot of patience.(youll be waiting on parts alot).

The recon, bayou and ozark would be the top machines in the 250cc class, and you should be able to still find something worth owning for the 2 grand.

Old 11-26-2005, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider

i have been riding a '95 Suzuki quadrunner 250 4x4 for the last six or eight years and it has put a lot of miles in the mountains. i use mine both for the difficult trails and to get to the trailhead for hikes. a lot of our trails here are open to quads to a certain point then you gotta hike.
the little suzuki is a good machine in the mountains. a little underpowered, but with three ranges (high, low, and superlow), 4x4 and 2x4 switch and front diff lock it can get you pretty much anywhere most other machines can except through the deep snow. you should be able to find a used one for around your price range.
these will carry a load and are reliable (important in the mountains).

montyh

Old 11-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think I'll be on the lookout for a 250cc machine. The quadrunner 250 and Ozark sound interesting. 4x4 would definitely be an asset although I think I could live without it if I found a 2wd machine in good shape.

Thanks guys!

Benoit

Old 11-26-2005, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

Keep in mind that the Quadrunner and Ozark are two very different types of 250 class utes. The quad runner is more old-school and is set up more towards the work side of utility. It's a good, reliable bike - very much a smaller version of the old Suzuki King Quad. Fairly limited suspension travel and doesn't have the best brake design, but it will get you up and down the mountain. I believe that they made the Quadrunner in both a 2wd and 4wd version. I sold my bigger '94 King Quad back in '02 for $2,000 so you should be able to find one in your price range.

The Ozark is a newer style ('02 was the first year) and is a sportier style 250. It still has plenty of power and can work, but it does not have a low range and is 2wd only. It's a top of the line entry level sport-ute, on par with the Honda Recon. Nice disc brakes up front.

Jaybee

Old 11-27-2005, 10:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the additional information Jaybee. I think a more utility-oriented machine is what I am looking for. a low-range on the gearbox is something I can see being useful for creeping over deep waterbars and rocks on steeper hills. As for the sportiness, I don't really need that aspect, I ride downhill mountain bike and get all the speed and air I need from that!

While I'm thinking of it, what would you say is the climbing ability/traction of a 2wd quad as compared with that of a 4wd truck?

thanks again.

Benoit

Old 11-29-2005, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer

for a small atv the recon is what i would recommend

Old 11-30-2005, 08:46 AM
Pro Rider

Offroad comparing a 2wd quad vs a 4wd truck is no contest. The quad will get there much faster and with much more control than a full sized truck will. I can't even begin to count the number of times we have passed by full-sized vehicles lumbering along on logging trails.

Now, once you get into a trail that is so rough that the smaller tire size of the quad is a factor, then some 4x4 trucks could go places that the quad cannot but for the most part, the lighter weight and smaller size of the quad will get you going on the trails better than any truck.

Jaybee

Quick Reply: Engine displacement for logging roads?