Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Eiger 400 vs. Outty 400 Please help! - Update!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 06:31 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eiger 400 vs. Outty 400 Please help!

CARider,

I owe you a big thank you. I had called so many people (every dealer within 200 miles) that all gave me a quote within $75 of each other that I didn't expect to find anything much different.

After your message I decided to call every dealer within 300 miles and guess what. I now have a deposit on two red outty 400s for guess how much. You called it, man! $6000 OTD each.

Another plus is that I was already headed 2/3 of the distance this weekend so now I just have to go that extra 1/3 to pick them up so it isn't even really like I am going 300 miles out of my way.

So Thank You!

The Eiger sounds like a really great bike and quite a value. I am sure I would have been quite happy with it. But with the water cooling, IRS, auto, and warranty; the outty is worth getting at this price.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Old 12-07-2005, 12:17 AM
Trailblazer
Default Eiger 400 vs. Outty 400 Please help! - Update!

Picked up our 2 06 Outty 400 on monday and got them out for a little ride this afternoon. Overall I am very pleased and impressed with the machines.

The handling far exceeded my expectations. While not as good as my last machine (400ex) it was far better than I expected a big fat utility (even a sport ute) to be.

The power seemed quite good although I was taking it very easy as they are still in break-in. With a little body english even 2/3 throttle could break the tires loose to induce a slide. Can't wait till break in is over to really play.

The ride is better than anything else I have ever ridden. That independent rear really seems to work.

Got the Visco-lock to operate a little. Cool stuff. I took a very steep hill with a lot of loose gravel at a low speed that would spell didaster for a sport bike. Crawled right up with no drama aside from a little difference in steering weight. Amazing how this machine could turn a "high pucker" event for a sport bike into child's play. Don't get me wrong, I still love the sport bikes.

Not so crazy about the single lever braking but it will just take some getting used to. The brakes work VERY well.

The auto trans is also going to take a little more familiarization. Sometimes the power didn't get to the wheels as quick as I would have liked. As I learn to allow for that it won't be a problem. I have ridden autos from other makers before. This just seems to be par for the course for autos. But they sure have their pluses too!

The engine braking was another feature that I will have to get used to. When going down some steep hills I loved it. When cruising on level ground I don't like it as much. It really kicks in if you let off too much.

No real complaints, just some things to get used to.

I have ridden a number of Util machines in the past. I won't name any names to avoid hurting any feelings but the Outlander is the absolute best that I have ridden and I have no regrets in buying it. It satisfies everything I wanted in buying a util and more of my sport quad side than I thought possible.

Old 12-07-2005, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best of luck with them. Now the big challenge is finding time to ride.

Jaybee

Old 12-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Range Rover

If you're happy, that's all that counts! Have fun with them. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-07-2005, 02:15 PM
Trailblazer

Amen to that Jaybeecon.

But luckily I do have a couple of things going for me.
1. Wife is anxious to ride hers as well
2. I can ride 10 minutes from here

Old 12-11-2005, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

CARider,

I owe you a big thank you. I had called so many people (every dealer within 200 miles) that all gave me a quote within $75 of each other that I didn't expect to find anything much different.

After your message I decided to call every dealer within 300 miles and guess what. I now have a deposit on two red outty 400s for guess how much. You called it, man! $6000 OTD each.
>>>>>>>>

You are welcome...I live in No. Calif and found a dealer in So. Calif selling for MSRP OTD, so I simply worked dealers in No. Calif and eventually found a couple that would match it or come within $100....I was willing to drive 7 hrs to save $1200.....the "freight and set up" that most smaller dealers charge is simply additional mark up and generally they won't match the other prices unless you have a long history of doing business with them. I'm glad I can be of help, only wish I had discovered these forums befor I made my first ATV purchase (a 250 bearcrapper, don't laugh).

Old 12-16-2005, 11:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just came from the zuki dealer and I was looking at the eiger. He told me dont even bother. If he could he would not even have those in his shop other than to fix. He said to wait for 07 if I still wanted on as they are to be redesigned and better. I have been using one off and on all year and would just as soon wrap it around a tree. It does not have any low end power for getting through mud and water or hauling me and a just shy of limit load. I have used a outty twice and liked it alot. better than the eiger.

Old 12-16-2005, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sad to say CJ, either you or your dealer contain much BS.

Jaybee

Old 12-17-2005, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

Suzuki is twice the company bombardier ATV will ever be. Get the Eiger.

Old 12-20-2005, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

Suzuki is twice the company bombardier ATV will ever be>>>>>

Well, since he already got the Outlanders I'm curious how you can validate your claims here?

TWICE the company? Bombardier ATV is part of BRP, which also make Skidoo and Sea Doo....what does Suzuki have that compares to these two?

Suzuki makes fine bikes, awful cars and looks like pretty decent ATV's....

If you want one of the best watercraft, you buy a Seadoo
If you want one of the best snowmobiles you buy a Skidoo
If you want one of the best ATV's you buy an Outlander

The closest Suzuki even comes is the KQ but the Outlander 800 blows it away, they don't even make snowmobiles or watercraft do they?

BTW, BRP is also one of the worldwide leaders in boat motors.

Again, how is Suzuki twice the company?

Quick Reply: Eiger 400 vs. Outty 400 Please help! - Update!