Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Clueless Dad, need help with purchasing kids atv

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 03:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clueless Dad, need help with purchasing kids atv

ok, I have retired the seldom used gocart and am venturing towards an atv or dirtbike for my two sons, one is almost 10 one is 8 (keep in mind the youngest one is also the tallest). anyways, Ive looked at tons and tons and tons of kids quads and kids dirtbikes on the internet, been to one of the few local dealers in our rural area and STILL have no idea what I need to get them. I looked at the 50cc, the 70, and 90's but it is REALLY hard to tell sizewise how big (physicaly) the machines are. The 50's sometimes look like toys they are so small, yet other times they look as big as some of the 90's and vice versa...some of the 90's look as small as the 50's PLEASE HELP!!!!! How do I tell the difference if looking online, (keep in mind im completely ilitirate when it comes to atv's and dirtbikes) what specs to I look for. Wont be doing extreme trailriding, basic backyard and small trails behind my dads house that we ride his 4wheeler on.... Not looking for anything fancy but dont want one of the REALLY small ones either. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Old 11-29-2005, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

ok 10 is.. 5th grade right? I dont know size wise because i was a larger kid but when I was in second grade and my brother was in maybe 5th or so we started our adventure of off roading with a PW-80, its by yamaha. 80cc 2stroke with a 3 speed and auto clutch. its kick start and has a seperate oil resovuar. I think it was a great choice. I liked starting off on a dirtbike because it was just like riding a bicycle. at first i wanted the 50 because i was afriad the pw-80 would be too big (i couldnt flat foot when i straddled it). After only a week or two i had no problem with the size and was on to enjoying it for a number of years. Was always reliable and easy maitnence. I belive yamaha will still be making them this year and they have continued although they push their ttr90 line a lot more. the pw-80 had a restrictor in it that greatly reduced power and was great for learning. after we had gotten more experienced that came out and, I can remember at the time, it felt like a whole new bike. I rode in an open field for the first few years as I learned the basic riding skills.

if your at the dealer say you want your kids to take a test-ride. I know my brother and I both rode the 50 and 80 before we decided to get the 80. maybe that helps a bit, i dont know if its the best but i enjoyed it when i had it

Old 11-29-2005, 04:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dealer is way overpriced, and looking around it seems ONLINE is the way to go. And it doesnt even have to been top of the line name brands, Im good with off brands (reliable of course) I just dont want to get stuck with something too small or too big either one and at the same time something they wont get bored with and wont kill themselves on....my oldest one is the daredevil type, my youngest one is the playstation/ gamer, who occasionaly honors us with his presence outside, looking to get him outside more........

Old 11-29-2005, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

I did a PW80 until around 8th grade when I moved up to the RT-100 which was a 5 speed manual clutch. I think dirtbikes is a better way to start. if you ride dirtbikes young you can ride either later. harder to go from 4 wheelers to dirtbikes i think then dirtbikes to 4 wheelers.

Old 11-29-2005, 05:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

chays33, you are right, it can be very hard to determine size over the internet. Some manufacturers are using the same basic chassis between there 50 and 90's, and just throw smaller tire/wheels on the smaller quad. Many offer "microminis" which are 50's, and way to small for 8 and 10 y/o boys. You really are probably looking at a 90 of some sort, but how big are your boys height/weight? BTW, the Taiwanese minis are probably best suited for any daredevils. The Chinese quads are GENERALLY lower quality build, while the big four Japanese offerings are basically 80's technology and design. Honda has just upgraded there TRX90 for '06, but it is also one of the most expensive 90's out. That quad and the Polaris 90 are both on the larger side. Try and look up seat height, width, and wheelbase on those two, and use that as a guide. Also, it might help if you could bring one of them along to size them up at a dealership.

Old 11-29-2005, 07:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

what are some recommended seat height, width and wheelbase I should look for, for 8-10 yr old again the youngest is the tallest son.

Old 11-29-2005, 08:35 PM
Trailblazer

I reccomend Polaris's Sportsman 90. My 9 year old brother loves it. He's 4'8' and 60 lbs, but the neat thing is, it hauls ME around with incredible ease.

Polaris Sportsman 90

OneWolf

Old 11-29-2005, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

i would take your sons to the local dealer and find a quad that you have seen online and see if the size is right-then buy it online-thats probably the easiest and most reliable way to figure it out
also, some of the not-so-known brands arent very reliable and when they do break, its difficult to find parts for them
good luck, 450kodman

Old 11-29-2005, 09:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok, dont everyone laugh at me when they see some of the below models, but by chance has anyone ever heard of any of these models?
KAMAKAZI 70, 90 $700/600
SunL SLA-90 90cc ATV
ATV-H020 90CC 4 Stroke ATV
Sand Warrior 70cc 4 Stroke ATV Fully Automatic Clutch
Explorer A017 70cc 4 Stroke ATV
Dirt Bike - DB400 ???

or
SunL SLD70-XT Dirt Bike SunL SLD70-XT Dirt Bike
Challenger BM-Y 70cc Dirt Bike
Mustang-17 70CC 4-Stroke Dirt Bike with CVT Transmission
Explorer-H 110cc Dirt Bike with Hydraulic Suspensions

hate to spend a TON of money on something they may or may not take a liking to. Has anyone ever heard of any of these........seems like their were a ton of other models listing on various ebay auctions....
the advice on this forum is great, thanks to everyone trying to help me out!!!

Old 11-30-2005, 09:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

This one caught my eye last night while doing some further looking around, anyone have any Yea's or Neh's on this model? too much for 8-10 year old?

New 2005 Falcon 110 Baby 107CC ATV Young Adult 4 Wheeler Quad

Quick Reply: Clueless Dad, need help with purchasing kids atv