Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What's the best rig for serious rock crawling?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best rig for serious rock crawling?

What type of ATV could run an extremely rocky trail like the Rubicon jeep trail in California, but still be a good all around ATV?
I'm thinking of buying a Honda 350 Rancher w/ manual tranny and was wondering if it could run the extreme rock crawling trails.
My trail experience is limited to jeeping; I've never owned an ATV. I'd also be curious to know how ATV's do on the 4+ Moab jeep trails.

I'll be buying the Rancher for surveying work in the desert and mountains and would rarely run into anything extreme, but would like a capable rig if I did.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Between higher ground clearence and the ability to keep all four wheels on the ground, I'd consider IRS as a must for a serious rock crawler. Beyond that, make sure it's a quad with a low range. There are many out there that will be well suited for rocks.

Jaybee

Old 01-03-2006, 11:38 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

My Rancher does surprisingly well! I constantly amaze my friends (who are on their top heavy 700+ pound monsters). One of them says that I "make it look easy". The Ranchers advantage is that it is low and light. Sure, IRS and some more ground clearance would be nice, but you pay a price for every feature that you add on.

Somewhere, I remember someone saying that they had done the entire Rubicon Trail on a 2WD Rancher. Frankly, I believe it...........

Old 01-04-2006, 12:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

I forgot to mention that in my work I often encounter narrow offcamber situations. There is one place that I need to access in the near future where a tall and wide ATV might not make it without a tumble. Plus I can envision quite a few tight tree situations where a narrow rig would be a plus.

I've read that IRS rigs are bad on sidehills so I'm not so sure a IRS would be a consideration. Is there a particular light, narrow, IRS ute that might fit the bill?

While jeeping on the Rubicon Trail I've seen what appear to be guided tourists on ATV's. I was wondering what kind of rigs they were riding. Is there an ATV version of a trials bike they may have been riding? I saw motorcycles from time to time where the riders kept slamming serious rock because they weren't set up right. None were trials bikes. Most were just trail riders who were in way over their heads.

Old 01-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Red Rider

There isn't anything in ATVing that is anywhere close to being a "trials" machine. And, even the most capable ATV's, aren't going to be capable of doing anything like a full on rock crawler. The ATV's real advantage is its short wheelbase, so it doesn't hang up as easy as you might think. Unfortunately though, that short wheelbase also makes it more likely to wheelie up the front end and rollover. If things are really off-camber, a light duty winch might be helpfull (but keep it as light as possible).

For me, I get the best results in nasty technical terrain with the smallest, lightest, simplest machine I can find, and for me that's the Rancher. Absolutely the best ridier I know, does phenomenal stunts on an old vintage Honda 300 4X4!

If you get a Rancher, you will want to go with the Warn 424 which will give you selectable 2wd/4wd.

Old 01-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Reconranger

Thanks again for the advice. I think I've settled on the Honda 350 and will definately ad the 424. I don't anticipate any serious rock crawling, I was just curious.

Old 01-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Red Rider

Even though this will be a "work" quad, still wear safety gear! People make the mistake of thinking that if they aren't going "fast", there is no need for gear. The worst utility accidents I have ever seen happened with the quad sitting perfectly still. Someobody tires to do a hill and can't make it, and gets stopped, then the bike goes over on top of them. A chest protector can save you some broken ribs or even worse..........