Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

2001 Yamaha Kodiak 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2000, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

Well, the ATV came two days ago (Friday night). I have been riding it all day yesterday and today. It's basically an amazing ATV. It has such a smooth ride and it has a lot of power. Also, as I was told, I do not regret the automatic transmission one bit! It comfortably seats two people and it is a blast to drive in 2WD mode. It fishtails in 2WD and it's fun to gas it hard and make the back wheels spin and sort of spin the quad in one direction before it suddenly takes off. I am told this is called 'peeling out'. The 2000lbs Warn winch is awesome! The only use we have for it is for lifting the plow up and down but it's awesome!!! (Of course, I don't drive with the plow mounted). I do have a few problems with the ATV, though: First, the ATV does not have a lot of traction in general. In 2WD, the rear tires slip a lot. When going up this one steep hill about 15 feet high, it will go up in 2WD, but it slips a lot. My friend's Kawasaki Bayou 220 2WD quad does that little hill fine. Of course, when I put the Kodiak in 4WD it gets up there in not much of a problem. Also, the 4WD isn't so great either. When the quad is in 4WD, it doesn't fish tail on the turns anymore and it doesn't peel out, but the traction still isn't great. When I was testing it on some super steep, high hills my 2001 Honda FourTrax Rancher 4x4 did a better job. Putting the Kodiak in 4x4 Lo gear is just stupid. It is just slow and it slips. The only way I can get up those hills is if I put the quad in 4x4 Hi and floor it up; basically, speed is what gets it up there. On the Honda, I can get up it in 1st without any problems. Other than that, I have no complaints about this quad. The traction control is not the best, but I would assume it's fine for most people. Driving over all the tough stuff, such as patches of rocks is a pleasure. It tackles stuff like that with ease. Overally, I am very happy with this ATV and I do not regret chosing this over the Kawasaki Prairie 400 4x4, and Honda ForeTrax Foreman S.

Old 11-06-2000, 10:24 PM
Trailblazer

Uhh, maybe I wasn't clear. I was sort of expecting some comments/suggestions on this topic. =) You guys had over 30 posts when deciding on what ATV I should buy. Now I have it and you guys have nothing to say. =(

Old 11-07-2000, 12:23 AM
Range Rover

Mr. Elussive,

I was one of those individuals recommending the Kodiak when you firs asked for advice. I'm sorry to hear you're not completely happy with it. But perhaps if you put things in perspective, you'll have a better appreciation of what you have.

First, hill climbing with a nearly 600 pound 4x4 in 2-wheel drive mode can't be directly compared to hill climbing with a 400 pound 2-wheel drive machine. The extra 200 pounds makes a BIG difference. The weight distribution is also very different. The Kodiak carries much more of its weight up front than does the little 220 Bayou due to radiator and the front differential, drive shafts, and CV-joints.

The bottom-line is, you can't expect your 600 pound 4x4 to have the nimble handling of a 400 pound 2WD.

Second, it is the nature of 4WD quads to "rail" around corners. They do this because of driven traction at all four wheels. Most usually when a magazine like Dirt Wheels tests a 4x4, the specifically comment on how well it does "rail" around corners, whether or not it "pushes" in the corners (i.e., continues in a straight line even with the front wheels turned), and how difficult it is to break the rear end loose.

Again the bottom-line is, your Kodiak is handling just the way it supposed to, and more importantly, just the way it was DESIGNED to. It is not a sport quad, and it will not handle like a sport quad. It is a heavy-weight 4x4 and, while it may make pretensions of low to medium speed "sport like" handling, it basically handles like the small off-road truck that it is.

Third, you repeatedly mention that the Kodiak lacks traction, and that it "slips" a lot. I don't know what kind of OEM tires the Kodiak is equipped with, but most manufacturers equip their offerings with a general purpose tire designed to provide moderately good traction, AND a smooth ride. When I replaced the OEM Goodyear Tracker MPs on my Bayou 400 with Goodyear Mudrunners, my traction increased dramatically under all conditions, and the ride quality got a little rougher especially at slow speeds.

The bottom-line is, a more aggressive aftermarket specialty tire will increase your traction.

Fourth, trail riding in low-range is not something one typically does if the machine is not carrying a great deal of cargo, pulling a heavily loaded trailer, negotiating really rough ground, or any combination thereof. Low-range is designed for working under conditions where speed is NOT a concern but torque is.

The bottom-line is, in low-range your Kodiak is performing exactly as it was designed to.

Riding an "industrial strength" heavy-weight 4x4 requires a very different technique from riding a sport bike, or even a small light-weight 4x4. Despite the larger engine, speed is not what the heavy-weight 4x4 excels at. Cargo carrying, hauling, and traversing the kind of difficult terrain that would leave your friend's Bayou 220 hopelessly stuck is where the heavy-weight 4x4 shines.

A paradigm shift is in order. You need to have a different set of expectations and adopt a different riding style. Relax, slow down, take it easy, enjoy the ride, and let the machine do the work.

Army Man

Old 11-07-2000, 10:26 AM
Trailblazer

Armyman,

I don't regret choosing this quad for even a second. I love it. It is a lot of fun and it is a very capable quad. But, I also have a Honda FourTrax Rancher 4x4 (2001 model) so I do have a basis of comparison. My Honda weighs 530lbs dry, and my Kodiak weighs 544lbs dry, so there is not much of a weight difference there. About the slipping in 2WD, I can perfectly understand and I was thinking the same thing. The Bayou has a lot of weight in the back and it's only a 2WD quad, so rear wheel traction is extremely important. On the Kodiak, as you know, you can switch from 2WD to 4WD so maximum rear wheel traction is not so crucial. But even in 4WD, the Kodiak does not get as much traction as my Honda Rancher does. I know that the Rancher has a pretty advanced 4WD system. The Rancher is always in 4x4 and it's not so easy to turn the handlebars. But when the Kodiak is in 4WD, it is even harder to turn the handlebar and there is a lot of resistance when turning. For climbing really steep hills, I can put the Honda in gear one and it will drive up fine. For the Kodiak, if I put it in LO gear in 4WD, it won't get up there, it will just slide. In 4HI in 4WD it also slides, unless I gas the quad at least half-way, where it's really the speed that's getting the quad up there. I don't mind that at all, but I just expected better from Yamaha. =(

Old 11-07-2000, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

My friends new Kodiak looked like it came out of the box with wore out tires compared to mine with 1600 miles on them.The Kodiak tires are just not agressive enough treads.Wait a few mouths and change the tires to a good all purpose tire.

Old 11-07-2000, 06:08 PM
Trailblazer

Tim1,

I was thinking about changing the tires, but they are so smooth! Even driving on pavement is extremely soft. Rolling down my driveway in neutral (My driveway is long) onto the street to get to the Camp Alpine trails is really soft and comfortable. It's like sitting in a car! Also, I found out how to get up the one steep hill without slipping or having to go into 4WD. Just gas it lightly and go up slowly. =)

Old 11-07-2000, 06:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

whenever you climb hills how are you positioned on the four-wheeler???? try sitting back further and climbing the hill slower!! as long as you do not tweak the throttle you will have plenty of time to reposition just in case it rares up!!! why did you go with the automatic transmission????

Old 11-07-2000, 07:55 PM
Trailblazer

insanerider,

When climbing up the steep hills, I lean forward. It is obvious that sitting farther back on the quad will give me better traction for the rear tires, but that would cause me to pull back on the handlebars more and I don't want to flip over backwards. And as for the transmission, I went for the quad, not the transmission. At first, I did not like the fact that there are no gears, but now that I actually have the quad, I do not regret it one bit. Although it is not as much fun to shift gears, there are advantages. When riding on the trails, I don't have to upshift or downshift for more or less power, I just adjust my speed accordingly. Also, when driving up steep hills, it's fun as hell to pop it into 4WD and gas it really hard and fly up those steep hills. Of course I do have to lean forward, otherwise the quad will flip over backwards since I would be pulling back on the handlebar really hard. Basically, you might think that having no gears would not make it a lot of fun, but that's not true. Think of it as a wave-runner (bare with me here); the more you gas it, the faster it goes. No gears involved, and it's still a lot of fun to drive, especially since it fishtails like crazy when you gas it hard on the turns! =)

Old 11-08-2000, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

Your right about the stock tires...they suck, but are pretty durable. I put Escavators on mine and it hooks up much better on hills and mud. It still fishtails but not as much as the Dunlops, which was almost too much. Low range is for towing only in my opinion. The HIGH range on the Kodiak is unlike any other quad, especially Polaris, that I've ridden. It still has very low torque in high and is better for hills cause you can get more speed. I wouldn't recommend oversize tires as I did on the front and it made my steering column start to pop. They reqreased and tightened it under warranty and it's fine now but was caused by over sized tires. I'm back to original size and is sooomuch better and faster.

2000 KODIAK 4x4/BEIGE
ESCAVATORS
2000 WARN WINCH
ALUM REAR SKID PLATE
KOPLIN GUN BOOT AND MOUNT (DEER SEASON ONLY).

Old 11-08-2000, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

I may be wrong but some one told me that you must have the same inch tires front and back on a 4wd or it makes a wheel speed differance that is not good for the tranny that puts power to the front and back.Your tranny has two shafts going to the front and back axles that turn at the same speed, if the tires are not the same size this cause the smaller diameter wheels to turn faster than the larger wheels which causes the two shaft to turn at different speeds.

Quick Reply: 2001 Yamaha Kodiak 4x4