Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What big Utility- Bomb, BF, KQ, SP?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006 | 09:08 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default What big Utility- Bomb, BF, KQ, SP?

Well, I've been lurking for a while, but it's time to post. I'm a fairly experienced rider, last machine was the SP700 (carb). I need a machine with mudding capability and carrying the occasional load, but most of the time I really want a sporty ride and POWER! Most of the gang I ride with have stepped up to the SP800. Most of the riding is flat trails, mud, sand with a trip to the mountains now and then. Here's where my thinking is now:
Job #1- don't get left behind by the Sportsman 800. Want great power to weight ratio.
#2- don't get towed back, so this means reliability.
#3- Handling and ride. Power's no good if you can't keep on the trail.
#4- NVH. Don't want another like the SP700 with all the vibes and rattles.

And the contenders:

BRP 800. About .07 hp/lb. I'm adding 250 lbs to the claimed dry weights to account for fluids and rider. My two concerns with this machine are will it be reliable, and how does it handle? Haven't yet encountered anyone on the trail who owns one. On the plus side it's the acknowledged power and speed king. And I guess a third concern, BRP split from Bombardier in 2003, and where will they be in a few years? Heard they're moving their plant to Mexico.

BF750 .06 hp/lb. Sound like a few mods and it will make as much power as the BRP? A known reliability with a stable manufacturer. A significant number of riders say the handling is not very good... better if you widen the wheel offset I hear.

KQ700 .057 hp/lb. Marginally better power to weight than the SP800, probably not significant. May not even be as fast given it's a single vs. the Polaris twin. Never rode a zuke, don't see many around these parts either. Does have great splash protection by the look of it.

SP800 .054 hp/lb. The default choice I guess if I can't get comfortable with any of the above. Polaris is a known quantity for me, I've had several with few complaints. But these dang things are really heavy, and you don't toss them around or slide. Lots of power, but not much sportiness IMO.

Right now the BF 750 is looking good to me. The BRP power looks attractive (from the power perspective), but I'm not feeling confident of reliability of a first year machine, and even more so from a company with a short track record like BRP. I'm worried that BRP today might be where Polaris was ten years ago. "The way out" -but not necessarily "the way back". [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for your input! If there's anything else out there I missed, pile it on!
DT

Old 02-09-2006 | 06:56 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"

It sounds like you have researched it very well and have a good idea of the pro's and con's of your choices. Other than to add that I think the BRP's have been around long enough to establish reliability (other than the first year model issue), I think you are down to considering how each quad feels under your butt and how much money you want to spend.

From where I'm sitting, it sounds like the Bomb 800 would be the best at what you are looking for. It's also the most expensive, although not much more than the Polaris 800.

Jaybee

Old 02-09-2006 | 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

BRP has a long warranty on there atv's and they have been around long enough to establish themselves. the brp 400 that the 800 is based off of is a tried and true proven quad. for all the features you want to me BRP is your only option. If you dont like your 700 your not going to like the 800 and vice versa. Also a point to consider is the brp so i have heard gets much better gas mileage per tank.

Old 02-09-2006 | 10:04 PM
Trailblazer

I own a brute and will say its a blast and more but it does need tires and wheels BADLY. I didn't believe it at first until i finally bought me some tires for it and wow even though i went up to 27's(inch more of clearance) the four wheeler is much more stable. The dunlops don't roll in every corner and the wider stance made a tremendous difference.

Throw on some tires and wheels and a CDI ethier dyna or VDI to take out the low and top end de-tune and let her rip.

The outty 800 is a nice atv and handles very well but you are also trying to keep up with polaris's in the mud and the outty just won't contend with the lowest ground clearance of all of them and not a true locker that gets worse with bigger tires.

Old 02-14-2006 | 08:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Might not be want you want but my 06 650V2 walks all over my buddies 05 sp700. And it sound alot better, I know what you mean by rattling, and banging. His was just bought and does the same thing, plus doesnt want to idle, or stay running, or even start sometimes! Mine is quiet, solid, and purrs like a kitten with no rattels or bangs and it starts every time

Old 02-14-2006 | 09:42 PM
|
Trailblazer

V2Rider, funny you should say that. I went to a dealer today with a test track and ran the Bomb, Polaris 800, plus the AC H1 and V2.

The Bomb is out of the running because the handling stank -IMO. It wanted to lift the inside rear tire on even moderate turns, rode roughly, and oversteered. The engine is fantastically powerful, but that's the only good point.

P800 is sort of the standard by which I compare others -being a long time Polaris owner. Handled much more smoothly and predictably than the BRP, but without the awe inspiring power.

The H1 is a nice all around machine, tons of clearance, but in the end still a single and lacks punch.

The V2 handled pretty close to the SP chassis, but felt a little more sporty. The V twin was nice, but it suffered by comparison to the BRP Rotax in the power department. It seemed a little low geared compared to the SP? Not sure if that was real or just my imagination; did not do any top speed runs. What kind of top end are you seeing with your V2? Loved the hot green body on this machine.

DT

Old 02-14-2006 | 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

I own a Brute,Outty,and King
I will say the brute is the worst of the three by far it has vibration and handles baddly
The King and the Outty are both great The king out handles the Outty big time The Outty likes to tricycle in the turns because its too soft The Outty motor is wide at your feet The Outty is faster than the King,and it seems to be very well built I realy like it
The King has smoother power,better handling,better ergo's,I have a early King and I have not had one problem at all Its VERY well built machine And the King cost about 2000.00 less than the Outty So I think if I had to choose one I would buy the King and buy 2000.00 of up grades for the King That could get you tires and wheels,winch,skids,power comander ,filter,gps and mount,hand guards,and soft bags All for the same price as the Outty

Old 02-14-2006 | 10:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Ductape
V2Rider, funny you should say that. I went to a dealer today with a test track and ran the Bomb, Polaris 800, plus the AC H1 and V2.

The Bomb is out of the running because the handling stank -IMO. It wanted to lift the inside rear tire on even moderate turns, rode roughly, and oversteered. The engine is fantastically powerful, but that's the only good point.

P800 is sort of the standard by which I compare others -being a long time Polaris owner. Handled much more smoothly and predictably than the BRP, but without the awe inspiring power.

The H1 is a nice all around machine, tons of clearance, but in the end still a single and lacks punch.

The V2 handled pretty close to the SP chassis, but felt a little more sporty. The V twin was nice, but it suffered by comparison to the BRP Rotax in the power department. It seemed a little low geared compared to the SP? Not sure if that was real or just my imagination; did not do any top speed runs. What kind of top end are you seeing with your V2? Loved the hot green body on this machine.

DT
Low geared, no way! It does 55mph in low! Tops out at about 70, which is wierd to only have a 15mph difference but i never use high, except when on a 15 minute straight shot. I agree about the power ratio , but you also pay for it. I do feel the V2 has more power than the sp 700, not sure about the 800. I guess I feel the V2 has plenty of low end and mid range power which is why I chose it, a perfect power range for trail riding

Old 02-18-2006 | 10:34 PM
Range Rover

I just bought an 800 outty 1 up. I don't have any ridding time on it yet so will limit comments to why I chose it over the others. It has more power and speed than I will ever need. Gas tank is low and rear. Easy access to radiator and other flewids. The rear suspension. I want a soft ride that will soak up bumps. With that I suspect it might lean a little. Disk brakes are inboard up by the the diff. Look at what else Bomb makes, all top quality as far as I know. Time will tell how good this quad is, btw, 3 year warranty.

Old 02-23-2006 | 12:13 AM
|
Trailblazer

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Well, I have surprised even myself this time. In the end, I had an irrestistable attraction to the Artic Cat V2. Great looks, superb clearance and suspension, and that wonderful v-twin sound and power. It's in the garage now.
-However-
I never could forget that adrenalin rush from the BRP 800's power plant. It's in a class by itself in utility quads. So it's in the garage too. Our family all rides, so this isn't a case of two quads, only one driver. I'll also retract most of my earlier critical remarks about the handling on turns. I got it out for a five minute run tonight on a familar trail at home, and it was an altogether different experience. The suspension soaks up bumps as good as or better than Polaris, the steering is very quick and light on the trail, and there's enough power to twitch the rear around with your thumb. This machine I'll never let an inexpert driver get on- IMO that would be inviting an accident because of the power on tap.
So now I just have to get the break in done, and then it's on to accessorizing!

I'll post some pics when I get a chance.
DT

Quick Reply: What big Utility- Bomb, BF, KQ, SP?