Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which big bore utility?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which big bore utility?

Hello all, I’m a first time poster and in need of some help. I have decided to get a big bore utility quad and I was hoping to get some opinions and insight. This quad would mostly be for play with some work in its future, these are the bikes I’m looking at:

Polaris Sportsman 700
Yamaha Grizzly
Suzuki King Quad
Kawasaki Brute Force 750

The features I’m looking for is Reliability-Reliability-Reliability, Fast / Fun,
Good Performance and Gas Mileage. Any firsthand knowledge and reviews would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Anyone?

Old 03-08-2006, 12:26 AM
Range Rover

You missed the biggest of the big bores, the Outty 800. It's pricy but what a ride.

Old 03-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, the KQ is going to be the most sporty of the three. The Polaris is going to be the better work/mud machine however, least sporty. It will be the most comfortable ride of any quad, but it's the biggest, heaviest quad made. The BF750 is going to be the fastest of the three, however, not the best sporty ride, best working machine, or best mudding. Therefore, if working, mudding and casual riding trails is your thing go for the sp700. If you want something that is kind of a good all around but not particularly the best in any category the KQ700 is your ride. If you want to straight line drag race the BF750 is it. I have to wonder why your looking at the suzuki's top machine, kawasaki's top machine, however, only the 700 in the sportsman. Why not look at the sp800? Also, the OL 800 is an excellent choice. I put it in the category with the KQ700 as being a sporty machine, but it will outrun anything on the trails, if that's your thing. It's also not the best in the work/mud category. Tell us how much work vs play and define play. The I can be more specific.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

Choosing the right utility quad is a difficult decision. For some (like me when I started) – we really don’t have the experience with ATV’s to fully know what we might end up useing it for – we just want to get into riding one. For others there is a more defined use and expectation. Some want to trail ride with friends or join clubs and make new friends, some want to use it as family recreation or some want it for hunting. And some owners are into more technical or competitive riding in mud or up mountains where a specific use helps dictate specific features or functionality. Unfortunetly many first time buyers do not look at the full lineup of different manufacturers before they buy and later find themselves regretting not doing that.

For the most part all of the major ATV brands are pretty close in areas of dependability and reliability, ease of maintenance, parts availability, performance, top speed etc etc. Some brands stand out slightly more then others but there is no cast in stone rule that says a Honda will out last a Kawasaki – truth is, more has to do with how you drive and care for the machine. I’ve seen plenty of trashed out Honda’s over the years. My brother has one that has been a POS lemon since day one. My cousin has a 98 Arctic Cat that looks and runs like new. Arctic Cats are not fast and some say always in the back of the pack - but they pass the broke down, stuck in the mud and tipped over quads on the trail.

Most important to the “right” machine is what you intend to use the machine for.

If you are like me then you want to have the best all around most useful machine that you never regret purchasing…ever.

A perfect ATV! I wish they made one - but they don’t!

Way to many variables! Your decision should be based on the full spectrum of what you intend to use it for - that deserves the most pre-purchase thought and attention.

There are so MANY uses - trail riding, hauling, mudding, swamping, mountain riding, transportation, recreation, riding together with friends, carrying a passenger, carrying loads of dirt, towing trailers, rock crawling.. I know one guy who’s specific and only use if his ATV is to ride it in Parades! His needs are way different as are the needs and options for all of these uses. But unless your really really lucky – you likely get to choose only one machine to meet all of your needs no matter how diverse they might be.

For us – I knew after the first ATV went over backwards with the wife and I on it – that we really needed a two rider ATV. Polaris, Bombardier and Arctic Cat make those. But since starting to deer hunt (which I NEVER thought I would do) my eyes have turned to a Arctic Cat TBX for its multi-function rack options and that rear box to carry my deer stand on. Not having any chance at getting that - I have taken full advantage of the MRP options using my Artic Cat TRV. A look at my PICs here will expose the over indulgence in accessories for my TRV with both hunting and ice fishing and other equipment attached there to. Again – who’d of thought! When I bought my first ATV I never imagined my using one for ice fishing or hunting - Never. Now look at it. 1st Runner up for the Beverly Hillbilly’s truck.

The point is – its all about Options and Flexibility and Specifications.

Not all ATV’s score high in all of these areas. I think Polaris has likely the 2nd best score in the O F S (Options and Flexibility and Specifications) area as they do have a few box choices, accessories and bag options and their specifications are pretty good – But first place has to go to Arctic Cat as their catalog of Speed Rack (MRP) options are 2nd to none and the flexibility to re-provision the machine for whatever mission is required is unmatched by any manufacturer. The Arctic Cats own the specifications area also with the best ground clearance, IRS and ruggedness over any other brand. In the 400 and 500 class of machines the Artic Cat is the value choice for two rider quads. Go out and price them. If your into arm pulling raw power the new 700 is outrageous in performance.

Ok – so I’m a little biased about the Arctic Cats. After previously owning 3 Polaris and 1 Honda I will claim a little expertise and beg a little leeway... I did put a lot of work into considering the O.F.S. of each brand BEFORE I bought the AC's.

Whatever quad you choose – just be sure to give it a LOT of thought and try to see how flexible each brand is going be and how satisfied you are going to be with your decision – when something you never dreamed of doing – turns out to be the true passion in your ATV riding.

Good luck!

Old 03-10-2006, 03:36 AM
Pro Rider

I realy like the King its a realy good quad not the fastest but VERY good at all catagories If you get a chance take one for a ride I know its hard to look for on your first ride of a machine but try to feel how smooth everything is on the King no engine or drivetrain vibrations like the brute,polaris,and yamaha

Old 03-10-2006, 05:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks everyone for your responses. So far my only riding experiences have been on my girlfriends 400 Eiger, I like the bike but it just seems to slow (I’m 6’4 230lbs). Basically I’m looking for a bike to ride 70% old beat up jeep trails, 20% off trail, and I guess the other 10% will be experimental mudding. I guess I’m looking for the all around bike that will be able to fulfill my needs as I become a more experienced rider. I hope this gives you all an idea of where I’m at. Please help me choose a quad. By the way I was looking at the Outlander but I heard there are first year problems as well as reports of an easily bending frame. Thanks again---keep um coming.

Old 03-10-2006, 09:11 AM
Pro Rider

KQ is the best machine for what you plan to do. Good price and has most all the bells and whistles.

Old 03-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ppope
KQ is the best machine for what you plan to do. Good price and has most all the bells and whistles.
And I thought somebody called prejudice,and the president of polaris only club LOL

Old 03-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

Only time i reccommend polaris is when someone wants a primarily mud or work machine. KQ is good all around machine. Not the best in anything, but is very capable of it all and the best priced for it. It's a good sport/trail/mud/work machine. It has IRS, EFI, and a diff lock. Not the biggest bore, not the best mudder, not the best working, not the fastest, however, it's very capable and priced well.

Quick Reply: Which big bore utility?