Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Set up fee???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2000, 05:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anybody know of any dealers in arizona that don't charge "set-up" fees?

Old 11-21-2000, 08:53 PM
Range Rover

Before you purchase an Atv go to Atvpricing.com and purchase the dealer invoice for the atv you plan to buying for $10.00. This invoice will give you dealer cost, assembly cost and ready to sell cost, not to mention list price. Many dealer charge additional fees for freight and setup over and above the selling price of the machine. In my opinion it seems high but a dealer can't stay in buisness long if he don't make some profit. Do some research and shop around. Good luck!!

Old 11-22-2000, 11:51 AM
Range Rover

You did the same thing I did. I called each dealer and asked what the "out the door pricing was". That is the final price. You go to the guy that is the cheapest. Most of them will make you show some proof of the lowest price you can get.

Old 11-22-2000, 03:03 PM
Trailblazer

Hi,

I don't know if anyone said this or not, because I don't feel like reading all the posts, but you have to consider this: the dealer does not have any ATVs in stock, except for the ones in the show room. When the ATV is shipped to the dealer, it is not towed on a trailer or anything. It comes in a cardboard box just like when buying a big-screen TV. Inside that box is the ATV itself, and most of it is setup already. The dealer has to attach the racks that come with it, some plastic body covering, and other minor things like that. Plus, he has to check and make sure everything is okay and fill up the tank with oil and fill it up with half a tank of gas. There's the $250 setup fee for ya.

Old 11-26-2000, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider

I was at a local yamaha dealer in the fall and while i was there a 50 foot semi pulled up and "rolled " 3 blasters off the truck. Not one of them was in any create. To top it off the dealers mechainc got one the machine started them and drove them around back. I still bet the dealer still had the nerve to charge the prep charge.

Old 11-26-2000, 02:34 PM
Trailblazer

Hi,

They must have been 2000 models that have been sitting around or something. My Kodiak also was delivered by a semi, but mine was in a cardboard box. I saw the box and he opened up the top and it was basically put together except for the racks, some extra body plastic, the shift lever, and some other parts. Then again, my 2001 Kodiak was brand-spankin-new straight from the factory. The dealer did not give us a prep charge, but he did charge us for installation of the 2000lbs winch and mounting kit for the plow.

Old 11-27-2000, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

It may be an unfair generalization, but I've found the crummiest, back lot, sideline types of dealers are the one's who want the fee. The really big guys don't bother and in fact usually offer a discount off list. I once visited a local dealer that wanted a set-up fee for a Recon 4X4 (so much for product knowledge). I went elsewhere.

Old 11-29-2000, 12:25 PM
Trailblazer

I just picked up my brand new 2001 300EX on the 22nd. I watched them take it out of the cardboard box. I bought mine from out of state, since I only live 10 minutes from NY state. I did not pay sales tax or a setup fee My out the door price was $4699. Just thought I would put my two cents in.