Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Have KFX700, want to downsize

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have KFX700, want to downsize

Bikes are a different animal all together. Riding the same terrain on a bike and a quad is almost like night and day.

I don't MX and never plan to but I do jump. I'll admit I have more fun on the 400ex. Riding a bike is much harder. If your on a dirt bike you will fall no matter what your experience level. You will have some wipeouts.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Wow guys thanks for all the suggestions!

I have given this some thought and I may go with a 400EX or the Suzukasaki 400. However I'm concerned about yjr latter's reliablity issues both past and present. I ride all the time and would hate to miss out due to a recall or breakdown.

I will lose some power but the gain in handling should be enough to offset that.

The other option is a 450. I sat on a YFZ at the dealer yesterday and the seat felt like a board. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] But after hitting a double on my KFX it is apparent that I need to get something a little bit lighter before I hurt myself.

Old 05-22-2006, 01:20 AM
RPM
Pro Rider

Take a look at the Polaris OUTLAW. Decent power, Independant rear suspenssion. Great trail quad.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

They just had a shootout between the outlaw and the z in a magazine. I'll have to check to see which one it is. But they gave the edge to the z I believe. Although, for strictly trails I think the nod went to the outlaw because of the added clearance in the rear.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:12 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: RPM
Take a look at the Polaris OUTLAW. Decent power, Independant rear suspenssion. Great trail quad.
He wants a quad that will be good on the track too.

Old 05-25-2006, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

400 versus 700

Don't worry about any relability issues with the z400. The early frame problems were worked out in 2005, and for the most part very few issues have come up.

I know a TON of people with z400s and KFX400s and I would say 99% of them have had no major problems, and many of them race and beat the living heck out of their machines.

I beat the heck out of mine, it gets ridden a lot, but I maintain everything to a high level. I've not really had any problems beyond normal wear and tear.

My Father rides a KFX700 and we race all the time, both machines are virtually stock and they are pretty close in speed. In a drag, we are generally close off the line, I have to slip the clutch to keep the front end down, but he has to keep the front end down with a gentle thumb. Both machines will walk right from under you if you are not careful. I will tell you also that we are both big guys, I'm around 300 and my Father clicks in around 250, and neither machine seems to notice the weight very much against lighter riders, so the power is there.

Once out of the gate at the same time, we are even until I shift from 2nd-to-3rd, the torque of the 700 will pull about a half-length to a full length almost every time. However, if allowed to hit 5th gear, i will start to reel him back in and eventually I will pass him slowly. But I'm sure his top speed is limited to the gearing, with the proper gearing the thing would probably hit 80.

On the track if he's in front, I can shoot out of a corner faster and close some gap, but I generally cannot pass him unless he makes a mistake and leaves me a line open. If I'm in front he is generally in the same postition. Unless I make a mistake he can't catch me either. This tells me that they are close enough on a track to where it comes down to the rider.

In the woods, again, it's all rider. The difference is that I can hop back and forth between lines a lot quicker. The heavier machine can't change lines as quick at higher speeds. The more I push my 400 the better is handles in the woods, the suspension is amazing for stock and soaks up everything I throw at it. The 700 requires more bull-like riding and less finess.

Jumping the 700 can be done, my Father clears everything I do but he finds his suspension limits a lot quicker. I can soak up a lot more on the landing and not hit bottom.

With that said, I can say for me the 400 is far and away the best choice I could have made last April when I bought it. Of course the Raptor 700 was not out yet, otherwise it would have been a much tougher choice. Of course the Raptor 700 on my local dealer's floor right now has a $7395 sticker hanging on it....I paid $5199 for my KFX........... I don't think you can beat a z400 in the "bang-for-the-buck" catagory.

Old 05-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Trailblazer

Buddy of mine has a 03 400ex. Only obvious mod is full exhaust. We aren't sure what else is done to it but it puts 3-4 quad lengths on my buddies kfx400 EVERYTIME.

My 400ex cannot keep up with it but still you can make a 400ex outrun a kfx400 for pretty cheap. That 400ex is only 2 quad lengths behind my buddies raptor 660.

Old 05-25-2006, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

The bombardier ds 650 is a nice quad but not for the mx track so i would have to go with the raptor 700 due to you being a bigger guyand the 450's feel like there is nothing to them. I dont know about you but i want to feel like im actually riding something like the raptor 700. And it also has the new technology to go along with it and can be made into what you need it to do.

Old 05-26-2006, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer

I have seen 1 450 Honda so far. Some younger kid was riding it. It was QUICK. Wheelied like crazy and was extremely loud.

I thought it was a 400ex till I saw him kick-starting it.

Old 05-29-2006, 03:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

I think I am going to go with the 400EX or 450R. I'm really impressed by the reliablity of our CRF, and XRs that friends have. It just seems that those Honda motors never quit!

I also read the DW article on it where they said that the 450R was the most comfortable and had good trail manners. I want something I can toss around and jump well too. I would imagine that any of the 450s will do the job well.

Quick Reply: Have KFX700, want to downsize