Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

first atv for 14 yr old, Rancher, Eiger, Foreman, Prarie, ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006 | 04:25 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default first atv for 14 yr old, Rancher, Eiger, Foreman, Prarie, ??

I'd like to stick to Honda or Suzuki because I prefer that dealer in town. But there is also a yahama/kawasaki dealer, we walked in there for about 20 minutes and nobody noticed us so that turned me off.

He'll be mostly putting around and trail riding on some dirt tracks, not much climbing or working. He really wants 4x4 & ES (probably for the cool factor) becasue he thinks he'll be doing a lot of mudding, not much mud around here or snow either. I will ride it too but not much, I'm less than 200 lbs and he is 140 & will be tall in two years (probably 6') but still thin. SO I think a 350 is plenty of power. He is used to a manual shift dirtbike but prefers the ES on the foremans of his buddies. But I could convince him to get the manual shift for reliability reasons. I think he'd like the auto on the Eiger if he got to test ride it ( I never have tested it either).

Main purchase factors will be Pricing & reliability.

pricing from the local Honda dealer is as follows: ( I believe all these prices are firm & OTD +$17)

2006 Rancher 4x4 ES, $4399
2006 Eiger 4x4 Auto $4699
2006 Eiger 4x2 auto $3999
2005 Foreman 4x2 manual $3999

Higher end models for consideration if we decide to splurge

2006 Vinson 4x4 Auto Camo $5699 (just because it's camo)
2006 Foreman 4x4 ES $5299

For the money, I would love to get that 05 Foreman 4x2 but they will sell out of the remaining 05's quickly at that price. So that's probably not an option. Next on my preference list is the 4x2 Eiger for the value, seems like $700 is a lot for 4x4 when you won't really use it much. Just have to convince him of that. His choice now is the 4x4 Rancher ES, I think I would rather have the 4x4 Eiger Auto, but that's getting close to the 4x4 Foreman ES which is a 500. I still need to research more about the Eiger Auto, not sure what type of transmission that is.

Thanks for any info you can provide. I will also consider other brands.

Old 05-09-2006 | 02:56 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Doesn't sound like you absolutely have to have 4X4, right???? These machines seem heavy for a 140 pound kid. Don't put him on a machine that is going to be a death trap, in a rollover. Even as a strong 200 pound adult, if I rolled my Rancher it could be a very serious thing!

You left out a superb machine that is more apropriate for his weight class, and that is the Honda Recon. It is very sporty, and a kick to ride! (Even I can have a blast on one.) Sounds like all he wants to do is some light trail riding and play riding, so why saddle him with a huge heavy (maybe dangerously heavy for him!) machine??? It's 130 pounds lighter than a Rancher.

And, if you don't need the racks or fenders then an even better choice is the Honda 250EX, which is just a Recon in sport plastic, but a hefty 50 pounds lighter (safer!) and even more weight apropriate for him (and 180 pounds lighter than a Rancher). It is more sporty than the Recon and a little wider so it is more stable (again safer!). The little EX will do anything the Recon will do, and better. And, certainly more fun to ride than ANY of the quads on your list! .

Did I mention that both the Recon and EX are shaft drive, if he likes to wallow in minor mud.

If I was a 140 pound kid, I would be ripping around on a little 320 pound Blaster!

Old 05-09-2006 | 08:55 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

The only problem is, he'll gain another 30 pounds in 1 or 2 years. He'll probably be 6' tall and 170 lbs in 2 years if he doesn't slow down soon.

I am interested in a safe atv also, I hadn't considered asking about stability. I used to have a blaster and I wouldn't consider those the safest, I rolled mine and flipped it more than once, they are just too jumpy and fast. I think the weight sometimes helps keep the things on the ground. I've even considered the wolverine 4x2 but he wants a utility, probably because they are popular right now. We're just going to have to keep lookking around.

Old 05-09-2006 | 10:31 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

He will never grow to be any taller or heavier, if he dies in a quad crash underneath a huge lard a$$ utility!

Old 05-09-2006 | 10:55 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

The way he rides, he is much less likely to roll a heavy quad than one of those light weight screamers. We don't climb or jump hills or drive crazy, pretty much flat trails & open fields and a little mud and water. The lighter ones might hurt less on top of you, but they are easier to roll, flip, crash, etc. IMO, and that is more dangerous around trees & rocks. .

We will deal w/ safety and probably have him take a class after we buy it.

Old 05-09-2006 | 12:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

You probably won't be able to enroll him in a class if he is going to bring a full size quad to ride for it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I would look into that though... I also think a 250EX or Z250 might be a better option for him than a larger, heavier utility. Are you going to have your own machine and ride with him? If you don't, I would "splurge" on a pair of cheaper quads, maybe even go used for dad so he can get something bigger? Don't go with a Vinson or Foreman, those are pretty big quads that require quite a bit to muscle around in tough terrain for a 14 y/o.

Old 05-09-2006 | 12:31 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Good points, but we do ride my inlaws rubicon and he loves it, but mostly on dirt trails and gravel roads. He also loves the 4x2 foremans on the dirt trails.

Anyway, I'll keep looking, probably at the 400 and smaller class.

Old 05-11-2006 | 07:27 AM
Trailblazer

area123,

What dealer are you looking at? I am looking for a rancher also. A 2006 rancher 4x4 with es is $4399 that seems to be a good price are sure thats not the 2wd price? I am in Tulsa I would not mind giving that dealer a shout if you dont mind.

As for the rancher I own a 2000 model with es. I weigh 250lbs 6ft and I get around well up any hills i want. I even ride 2 per bike and we never have problems with power.

The ES system is a great system. One can find gears much quicker than with foot shift. With a foot shifter my top of the the feet got sore after a while from up shifting.

As for stabilty Honda have a lower center of gravity. A freind of mine were at the dealership yeaterday talking about how some of the artic cats and other brands of ute's seem more tippy when he drove them.

Old 05-11-2006 | 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

I have an '05 eiger, manual 4X4 and think that it is the bomb. I did the same think that you are donig just over a year ago. I am 6' and about 170lbs and it has plebty of get up. I do everything on this bike, my dad rides it to do work around his house and I will even ride 2 up on it. My wife like to ride it and she is 5'1" and about 105lbs, it is a little big for here but she does not get out f 3rd. I dont use the 4X4 much just because it is a very capable atv, it is just nice to have. When I wheel pretty hard is the only time that I need it.
For what your talking about the 4X2 should be fine but I would get the manual, thats just me though.

Old 05-11-2006 | 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

He will never grow to be any taller or heavier, if he dies in a quad crash underneath a huge lard a$$ utility!
>>>>>>>>>>

This is nonsense.

Quick Reply: first atv for 14 yr old, Rancher, Eiger, Foreman, Prarie, ??