Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Buying our first ATVs (30yo in SoCal)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006 | 07:56 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Buying our first ATVs (30yo in SoCal)

Hey dudes.

My name is Montalvo and I'm looking at purchasing our first ATVs this month. Other than the weekend rentals we've contracted on vacation trips, we're not experienced riders by any standard. I've never ridden a motorcycle neither so I have no experience on any bike whatsoever.

I rode quite a bit from the time I was 13 to 16 but never owned my own bike. I just recently decided to leave the custom car/truck scene and get more out of my weekends than just detailing a car/truck.

After researching quite a few bikes, I'm having difficulty deciding which bike would be most appropriate for me. I understand I'm not getting any younger, but I'm very adventurous and daring. I'd like to get a bike with which I can do some light jumping and can run up competition hill in Glamis (that only real memory I have of a challenging hill). Although I may not be up for such a challenge my first time out, I know that I'll be out there pushing my experience level to the limit (while riding safe of course).

I'm 5'8 and weigh 185 (I mention this because I've read quite a few posts where this is a consideration). Heh, this is starting to sound like a classifieds ad for a 'date'.

Anyway, what do you dudes suggest?

Also, should I look to buy new or used? If used, what should I look out for?

What about maintenance? Should it be taken to a dealer, like a car?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-16-2006 | 08:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

I would look to the 400cc class sport quads. Sounds like you will be doing quite a bit of duning, and these should provide you with enough power, stability, and handling to start out and then grow on. My pick would be the Suzuki z400. Being an adult, the big bores may also interest you, and could certainly be an option. Additional considerations would include your intended use of the quad, how much maintenance you wish to do/are comfortable with, what other kinds of quads will you be riding with, how long you wish to keep the atv before "upgrading," how much you are willing to spend right now, etc. Keep in mind that no matter what you get, the upgrade bug will eventually strike. That little bug has cost me plenty over the years, lol.

Old 05-16-2006 | 09:00 PM
|
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Scooter86
I would look to the 400cc class sport quads. Sounds like you will be doing quite a bit of duning, and these should provide you with enough power, stability, and handling to start out and then grow on. My pick would be the Suzuki z400. Being an adult, the big bores may also interest you, and could certainly be an option. Additional considerations would include your intended use of the quad, how much maintenance you wish to do/are comfortable with, what other kinds of quads will you be riding with, how long you wish to keep the atv before "upgrading," how much you are willing to spend right now, etc. Keep in mind that no matter what you get, the upgrade bug will eventually strike. That little bug has cost me plenty over the years, lol.
Thanks for you response.

I would say that all riding will be 90% primarily sand/dunes.

I'm not very technical when it comes to maintenance so if it's not very expensive and maintenance is low, I'd probably take it somewhere for service.

I won't be riding with others. It will just be my wife and I. If I do go riding with others, it won't be hardcore.

I would like to keep the bike for a long time. As I get older I doubt I will be doing as much wild riding- jumping, etc.

Knowing what that they start at $2,500 to $7,500, I'm not really concerned about the cost. I'm more concerning about matching a bike to my experience, riding intentions, and quality of the bike.

Thanks again.

Old 05-16-2006 | 11:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Buy yourself a KFX700, the power is there but it is also a auto, and thats very easy to use!! its the perfect dune cruising machine! if you want somthign a little more sporty, go with the Z-400.

Fred

Old 05-16-2006 | 11:31 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

The Z400 is probably the best all-around quad there is. Handles great in all kinds of situations........well suited to So. Calif. riding conditions. In stock form it is kind of mild, but when you are ready for more power, just a few simple mods will give you a lot more power.

Maintenance is simple and easy. The only thing I have the dealer do is valve adjustments (I don't have the patience).

The 400EX is another excellent quad, but not as powerfull as the Z, so not as good for the dunes, but an excellent trail ride.

Maybe a new Raptor 700, but not the old Raptor 650 (it is narrow and tippy).

The 450's are performance machines. They are geared tall, and have to be ridden fast, so they are a handfull on a tight trail. Get one in a couple of years when you have more experience.

Don't let some salesman talk you into a huge, heavy, rollover death trap utility, or any kind of Polaris! Don't get any of the huge, heavy "sport" machines like the KFX700 or the DS650. No Yamaha Warriors or Raptor 350's either.

There is lots of great riding other than just dunes: Desert cross country, mountain trails, etc., so don't just limit yourself to the dunes. While it's 110 degrees at Glamis (and all the duners are sitting home), I'm out riding in cool mountain breezes!

Old 05-17-2006 | 12:02 AM
|
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: reconranger
The Z400 is probably the best all-around quad there is. Handles great in all kinds of situations........well suited to So. Calif. riding conditions. In stock form it is kind of mild, but when you are ready for more power, just a few simple mods will give you a lot more power.

Maintenance is simple and easy. The only thing I have the dealer do is valve adjustments (I don't have the patience).

The 400EX is another excellent quad, but not as powerfull as the Z, so not as good for the dunes, but an excellent trail ride.

Maybe a new Raptor 700, but not the old Raptor 650 (it is narrow and tippy).

The 450's are performance machines. They are geared tall, and have to be ridden fast, so they are a handfull on a tight trail. Get one in a couple of years when you have more experience.

Don't let some salesman talk you into a huge, heavy, rollover death trap utility, or any kind of Polaris! Don't get any of the huge, heavy "sport" machines like the KFX700 or the DS650. No Yamaha Warriors or Raptor 350's either.

There is lots of great riding other than just dunes: Desert cross country, mountain trails, etc., so don't just limit yourself to the dunes. While it's 110 degrees at Glamis (and all the duners are sitting home), I'm out riding in cool mountain breezes!
Thanks for the advice! My coworker has two Hondas for sale a 2002 and a 2003. He says they're SporTraxx 400ex. IS this the one you're refering to? He said he climbed up and down competition hill no problem. Your thoughts? How much do you think they're both worth?

Thanks. I sincerely appreciate your help.

Old 05-17-2006 | 12:26 AM
Trailblazer

Yea the sportraxx 400ex is usually called a TRX400EX or simply a 400ex. They are pretty much all the same besides restyling in 05/06 and the addition of reverse.

Chances are you can get them CHEAP. And they are VERY simple to maintain. Its air cooled so all you really have to do is adjust the valves every other blue moon and change the oil.

They are very solid, reliable quads. Not slow by any means but they won't keep up with a z400 stock or a 660-700 raptor.

Be the PERFECT 1st quad IMO.

Old 05-17-2006 | 12:42 AM
|
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: AR15guy
Yea the sportraxx 400ex is usually called a TRX400EX or simply a 400ex. They are pretty much all the same besides restyling in 05/06 and the addition of reverse.

Chances are you can get them CHEAP. And they are VERY simple to maintain. Its air cooled so all you really have to do is adjust the valves every other blue moon and change the oil.

They are very solid, reliable quads. Not slow by any means but they won't keep up with a z400 stock or a 660-700 raptor.

Be the PERFECT 1st quad IMO.
But enough to challenge me for a couple of years right?

$5000 sound fair for both?

Old 05-17-2006 | 02:28 AM
Trailblazer

400ex's have plenty of power to keep you happy for a good long while. 5000$ for both sounds about right. Not bad prices at all.

If you would get bored with the 400ex there are so many upgrades you can buy for them. They have been around since 1999 and were one of the top quads for a long time so the aftermarket is there.

I have no experience on the dunes since we just rides tight trails and tracks. So I can't tell you how a 400ex would do in sand. With the right tires I don't see why you would have a problem.

Old 05-17-2006 | 10:32 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

The EX is a great quad. The older ones don't have reverse......no big deal to me.

I like the EX for trail riding. It has an engine that can be lugged down, so I like it for slow tigh trail riding, in the mountains. The Z likes to rev, so I pick it for faster, more open trails. And, the 450R, for flying in the wide open desert............

Quick Reply: Buying our first ATVs (30yo in SoCal)