Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Best ATV for ghost towns?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 10:35 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best ATV for ghost towns?

If you can, find a way to do some riding (in nasty terrain, not just around a dealers parking lot), before you make a decision. Maybe you can rent one somewhere? After you get one, do a lot of riding, before you actually load it down and head out for a nasty ride.

Like I said, in your price range, we aren't talking a huge machine anyway.........

Yes you do need a 4X4. My point was that Honda leaves off the transfer case and just uses a very low 1st gear. Achieves the same result, but saves needless weight. Honda also turns the motor sideways, so the shaft comes directly out the back of the engine, with no change in the rotating direction.

Some models have weird things, so be carefull. My buddies Polaris (big mistake) only has all wheel braking. What you going to do when you have to drop the front off a ledge but you can't brake the back wheels seperately.....stuff like that. The market is full of pitfalls, and only lots of experience and study will help you avoid them!

Old 05-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: brian10x
" don't know how much, if any, experience you have with utilities? I consider all of them to be "rollover death traps". I will only ride a utility as a LAST RESORT when a sport quad (way lighter, more stable machines), will absolutely not do the job. The machines have gotten huge, and top heavy. They fool folks, because the suspension is getting better, but when you find yourself hanging on the side of a rocky hill, what would you rather be on, a nice little Rancher or a 700+ pound tall top heavy big bore monster? And when you load those racks down with a bunch of gear, handling gets even more terrible"

I don't know much about ATVs, but I thought I wanted a utility, since I plan on packing a lot of gear, and four wheel drive was on my list. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but where I go, a 4x4 is going to be a necessity, not an option. However, on something so small, maybe it won't make a difference? 4x4s also come with 4lo range, which I need when the going gets rough.

I've been way too close to disaster in a 6500 lb Dodge, my 4500 lb Nissan, and my 1600 lb VW. I guess its all relative, but 700lbs sounds manageable. Again, I'm new here, so don't hestitate to correct me.

Brian
dont get wound up listening to this rollover death trap baloney, sure you can flip one , but i guarantee it will be more of a bad judgement call than a machine failure. of the 2 quads i have the eiger would be my choice if handling characteristics became paramount, but that being said im sure the ac will go places that would surprise you[and probably me]. you sound from the tone of your original post that your not looking for a" rock/wallcrawler", but rather a nice ,well mannered, mid sized 4 wheel drive machine. any of the recs in the following posts would suit you fine, any differences would be purely subjective....

Old 05-30-2006, 09:25 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I've been way too close to disaster in a 6500 lb Dodge, my 4500 lb Nissan, and my 1600 lb VW."

brian-If you have been in trouble in a big wide truck, think about what it will be like on a skinny quad that is only 46" wide, top heavy by design (or lack of creative design), and loaded with a bunch of weight up high on the racks????????? (I imagine in Arizona, you will have to carry lots of very heavy water, right?) Now imagine going crawling up a steep, rocky hill with that thing. And, add in some off-cambers, just for fun!

I say you are better off with a Rhino, than any utility quad!