Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

First time buyer considerations

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time buyer considerations

I'd just stay away from Polaris. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-20-2006, 04:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Why stay away from Polaris? I have no preference at this point one way or another.

Steve,
Huntsville, ONTARIO

Old 06-20-2006, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

Some people swear by they. I just read (but dont always belive) and hear to much trouble with them. Then when I go to the dealer who sells Honda, polaris, yamaha, Suzukie I look in the shop and what do I see. 3 to 1 polaris in for repear. I ask the mechenic's and they seem to say the same thing. But my life long friend has a Sp 700 and no problems so far, execpt I have to pull him out of the mud alot. We figure he's so much heavier he high centers and gets stuck. I myself dont like there AWD system. I would rather press a button and know I'm locked in 4-WD. I'm also sure I'm going to get hammered by polaris owners for talking out of turn.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-20-2006, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

I have a polaris sportsman and 2 yamaha grizzly's. The Polaris will by far out perform the grizzly in the mud, water, rocks, hills, basically anything requiring 4x4. The grizzly is much smaller, lighter, nimble, and easier to handle on the trails. The grizzly is alot easier to get unstuck than the polaris that's for sure, but if you're having to pull a stuck sportsman out with a kodiak, then there's no way you went through the same hole and made it.

Now as far as reliability, the sportsman 500 is one of if not the most reliable atv ever made. I have a buddy with a 1998 sp500 that has almost 15k miles and still running. The suspension is in need of work, as well the carb, but it runs. Polaris in general makes a darn reliable atv. Just as reliable as the others. My two grizzly's both use oil, and have the gas boiling issue. Yamaha has had both these issues since the 660 was introduced in 02 and now 4 years later it remains unresolved. So, don't tell me how reliable yamaha is!

Old 06-21-2006, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

OUCH! I knew I'd get Hammered for that. And yes I made it thru the mud hole and had to pull the polaris out. I've got a few picture, I'll post them soon.

Old 06-21-2006, 07:09 PM
Trailblazer

rider skill and weight matters when youre comparing mud holes

unless it was you on all 5 atv's, you cant say "well mine is better because x"

Old 06-21-2006, 09:17 PM
Range Rover

given the work situations you describe would lean me toward a "working design", machine. there are a number that have what is essentially a pickup style bed[generally a tilting unit], bombardiers traxter xt, polaris [think it was the x-2 model,not sure] and arctic cats tbx series[400 and 500 displacements], i connected on a 05 400 noncurrent about 6 mo ago and am very happy with it[although it was a price driven purchase]. its utility is great but also lends to other activities as hunting and the occasional ice fishing trip. any of the mentioned machines would serve you well[the polaris is/was pricey, around 8k, the bombs[now john deere] kinda hard to find and not cheap[although i was looking at a 04 noncurrent that went for 4200, a super deal] which leaves the cats, most common in the style and if you internet shop[patiently], you should connect on 1 for reasonable dollars[mine was 4500 otd, brand new, non-current], good hunting........

Old 06-30-2006, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

Buy what the rental companies do ranchers or eigers. stay away from polairs and AC. becauce you can not resell them also polairs down hill braking is bad.l

Old 06-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Range Rover

I would either get a honda Rancher, Rubicon, or go with a Polaris Sportsman 500 or 600. we have a 600 twin, on the farm, and it pulls wagons full of seed, and anything else we could ever need to pull without gettin a tractor out. both are very relaible and will do every task you said you wanted in a quad. Oh the polaris has the best seats on their quad in my opinion

Old 06-30-2006, 04:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would get an AC. But i am bias, and the AC has the speedrack system, 2" reciever, manual difflock, shift on the fly 4x4.......... You get the picture. Oh yeah, and the RELIABILTY. You should know this if you owned cats already[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: First time buyer considerations