Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

I need some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 02:05 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need some advice...

My buddy had the Scrambler. I rode it for a couple of hours once. Handling was unremarkable and the ride was NASTY rough! Nothing about it deserved to be called "sporty", although compared to many utility class machines, it rode OK.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found that the Scrambler is shaft driven in the front, chain in the rear. The Wolverine is shaft for both...so I guess I'm getting a Wolverine!

Old 08-16-2006, 12:32 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Roody25
I found that the Scrambler is shaft driven in the front, chain in the rear. The Wolverine is shaft for both...so I guess I'm getting a Wolverine!
how can you say the can-am 400 doesnt have enough power. have you road it yet??? there are very few people out there that are happy with their wolverines for long. i cant stand these people who want a sporty looking utility. the wolverine is an interesting idea, but it just doesnt work. whats wrong with a sport quad that looks fast and light, and a utility that looks strong and capable? i personally think this whole crossover thing will fade out. atleast i hope so.

Old 08-16-2006, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah i personally would rather have either a ute or a sportie b/c the crossovers to me seem half-a**ed if you know what I mean. But I'd take the Srambler over the Wolvy b/c it's quite a bit more powerful.

Old 08-16-2006, 02:08 AM
Range Rover

ill compete against a wolverine any day.

Old 08-16-2006, 03:01 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Toyeboy
Yeah i personally would rather have either a ute or a sportie b/c the crossovers to me seem half-a**ed if you know what I mean. But I'd take the Srambler over the Wolvy b/c it's quite a bit more powerful.
thats true, but man are they ugly. actually its the lights from 1972 that are ugly.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:34 AM
Range Rover

OK, so then the Wolverine should be a no-go? I was just thinking...after about a year, I'm going to want to do performance upgrades. Do utes take well to performance upgrades?

A few more questions: ***the Can-Am/Bombardier isn't in this because of its price***

1) Which 500class ute has the most power?
2) Which 500class ute has the best aftermarket?
3) Would a 500class ute out-do the Wolverine in speed and in the rough stuff?

Thanks again, everyone. I'm sorry about all my questions, but I just want to get what will be best for me.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Roody25
OK, so then the Wolverine should be a no-go? I was just thinking...after about a year, I'm going to want to do performance upgrades. Do utes take well to performance upgrades?

A few more questions: ***the Can-Am/Bombardier isn't in this because of its price***

1) Which 500class ute has the most power?
2) Which 500class ute has the best aftermarket?
3) Would a 500class ute out-do the Wolverine in speed and in the rough stuff?

Thanks again, everyone. I'm sorry about all my questions, but I just want to get what will be best for me.
The Sportsman 500///Srambler 500 have the most power(same motor I think) and their faster than the Vinson.
For performance upgrades there's probably more for the Scrambler than either the Vinson or the Sportsman, but you can get jet kit's and clutch kits for all of them.
I'm pretty sure a Vinson/Sportsman would be faster than a Wolvy b/c the wolvy is really 421cc, uses the Kodiak 450's motor so it's not really a powerful motor.

You could out do the Wolvy in the rough stuff on both the Vinson 500 and Sportsman 500, so if you haven't already go to a dealership and sit on both of these machines or test drive if they'll let you... The sportsman 500 has IRS and true AWD whereas the Vinson doesn't have a front locker so it's 3.5 wheel drive. I had a Sportsman 400(425), aside from the power it was a solid ATV, I could mud with it and plow and do all kinds of stuff...so the sp 500 would only be better b/c it has considerably more power.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:59 PM
Range Rover

So it comes down to this: Sportsman 500 or Vinson 500. Which would you choose, and why?

Old 08-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

Since your wanting a sportier type ute, then the clear choice is the Vinson 500 over the Sportsman 500. The biggest reason being weight, The Sportsman 500 weighs around 700lbs dry and the Vinson weighs ~600lbs dry, 100lbs means a lot when you want a sporty feel. The Vinson also has a solid rear axle, which is what all the sport ATV's are, whereas the Sportsman 500 is IRS, SRA atv's handle better and are easier to powerslide. The Vinson with it being a Suzuki will definitely last 5 years...whereas the Polaris' long term reliabity isn't the best. If you really want a sporty type ute than the Vinson with the 5 speed manual tranny would be the ticket, but they also make an auto, it's just up to you whether or not you want to have to shift gears or not. I hope this helps make your descision!

Quick Reply: I need some advice...