Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Sport vs Utility - Swapping from CR250 2 Wheels to 4

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport vs Utility - Swapping from CR250 2 Wheels to 4

Let's try applying some pros and cons here:

Sport Bikes:
PRO: Handles well
PRO: Lightweight
PRO: Fast
PRO: Jumps
CON: Doesn't handle deep water, mud, snow well
CON: Lightweight - frontend comes up a lot easier on the steep hillclimbs
CON: Can't carry any gear with you. Sucks for camping
CON: Forget towing

Overall: If driving a corvette offroad is your thing, buy a sportquad

Utility bikes:
PRO: 4x4 gets you out of messy jams in all climates
PRO: Frontend tends to stay down when climbing compared to lighter quad
PRO: You can tow with it!
PRO: Plenty of storage space for camping
PRO: Great ground clearance for going over fallen trees and rocks
CON: Heavy. Don't roll it - ever.
CON: Handling isn't great. Off cambers aren't your friend typically
CON: Limited jumping
CON: Slower than sport quads

Overall: A quad built for ALL TERRAIN - even snow, ice, mud, rain, big rocks, etc. Hence the term "All Terrain Vehicle". Don't ride it like a sport quad and you'll be fine.

'Nuff said

Old 08-15-2006, 06:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

<<<<<<<<<<<<&l t;<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<

Only on a track, with whoops and jumps. I can keep up at top speed, and even be faster sometimes.

Old 08-15-2006, 06:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by: v2rider
<<<<<<<<<<<<&l t;<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<

Only on a track, with whoops and jumps. I can keep up at top speed, and even be faster sometimes.
Either you ride a lot of extreme terrain, or the sport guys are taking it easy on you, LOL!

BeanTownJoe, coming from a CR250, you are going to want a 450 class quad if you can find the right one. That linked YFZ seems pretty cherry, a lot of trailriders buy them to have a race quad, only to sell them with low hours once they find out just how hard edged they really are. As long as trail width allows, a 450 will go anywhere your CR will go, and further than a bike in mud/snow/ etc. AS far as hill climbs and such, I have gone up hills and then had to immediately grab a rack and spot 4x4's that were following me back down the same hill. Add enough slick stuff to the mix and the 4x4's prevail, but anyone that says a 450 can't climb needs there head examined(or at least to get their fat lazy butt off the seat on occasion!)

Old 08-15-2006, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with recon in the sense unless you like to play in deep mud or snow, Id rather be on a sport quad. I ride mainly trails and they are extremely rocky and alot of them are not in the best of shape and a sport quad handles them great. Just invest into some good skid plates and you are good to go. We also play in the mud alot and as long as it doesnt get deep you wont have any problems. Utilites are great and like some others posted alot of them are for from being slow but coming off a dirt bike I think a sport quad is a better choice.

As far as the 450 you linked they make a good trail bike espicially on slightly faster trails. Like other posted a 400ex is always a good trail bike and you also got the Z400, Predator and Raptor 700r that all make good trail quads.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did not mean to stir so many hard feelings about 4x4 versus quad people are really pasionate about what machine is better. Apples and oranges are far as I am concerned but I believe the most enjoyable ride for me is going to be the sport. All I need to be able to do is go all the places my CR250 can go, I do not want to trail blase stump ridden 4 foot rocky stuff. I ride trails and power lines where there are rocks at the biggest 1 foot tall and the same for roots. I try and avoid the nasty sloppy real deep stuff cause we have all slammed the hammer hit the water and realized it is 4 feet deep and all you can see are your handle bars. I basically want my CR250 but with 4 wheels and basically that is a sport quad. I am looking forward to riding a vehicle and not falling over and wet roots.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

I recommend a Rappy 700 b/c they are more of a trail bike than the 450's, a Raptor you can put around in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear without the fear of overheating...whereas the 450's are more all out geared for speed on an MX track and they jump and race like your CR250 so I guess that's the choice you'll have to make...but you'll have to mod what ever 4wheeler you get to be as fast as your CR 250...those are fast!

Old 09-29-2006, 03:37 AM
Pro Rider

first of all wolverines are a joke and barely compare to old twostoke polaris 4x4, for a sport 4x4. but for you coming of a cr 250 which I ride also, and you 4x4 then you need either can-am renegade 800 or a hoped up two-stroke scrambler. that's my two cents. but sport quads look like fun to I think i'm going to add one to my collection some day

Old 09-29-2006, 08:39 AM
Trailblazer

Joe,
don't listen to all the hoopla and propoganda. Get a Renegade(Can-Am 4x4 sport utility with a 800cc rotax), and be done with it. you'll beat everything on the trail all year long. I've got the 800 Outlander and am very pleased with handeling and power. I use it for work around the yard(just hunting at this point), but when i get on the trail, this thing just tears A$$. I'm curious as to how the Renegade is going to do in all the same conditions. You sound as if you'd be a good candidate for testing this beast out.

Old 09-29-2006, 10:03 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Renegade (600 pounds), weighs 200-250 pounds more than a sport quad. That's a huge weight handicap that you are taking on!

If you decide you absoluely need 4wd, then the Renegade might not be a bad choice because it weighs the same as any Japanese big bore utility, but still way less than the average North Amreican utility (eg Polaris).

Old 09-29-2006, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

the Renegade would be good but they have a HUGE price tag on them, I ride a sport and my dad and a few of my friends have utilitys and I have taken theres for a ride before and I would never switch to one. I ride my dads when I am just playin around in the woods off our trails but thats about it. I personally like sport quads better faster, better suspension, yeah they are not the best for mudding but when I do come to a mud hole I usually don't have much of a problem unless it is really deep. its totally up to you of course but I would go for a sport quad

Quick Reply: Sport vs Utility - Swapping from CR250 2 Wheels to 4