Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Big guy atv

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big guy atv

Hello to all. Great site you all have here. I just joined.

I have never owned an atv before. I have ridden a suzuki z400 and it had plenty of power for me but the thing was very uncomfortable to ride. I am 6'4" and about 280lbs. I just want something to ride around the woods and follow my son on his dirt bike. He is way faster than me on my dirt bike and if I try to keep up I will only hurt myself.

I am thinking about an Honda Foreman 450. I like the idea of 2 or 4 wheel drive. My question is does it have enough suspension for me on the trails? We ride at Wayne Nation Forrest in Ohio. Wide open trails, nothing to hard. I have sat on it and it seems to have enough cockpit room. The Rancher is to little. Is there any other of this type of ATV you can recommend for my use. Racing is not an issue. I think I could also use the ATV to plow snow around the house as well.

Thanks

Russ

Old 09-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Big guy atv

Are you wanting to keep up with your son? Depending on what size his bike is, the Foreman isnt going to have a chance. The Foreman is geared kinda low for better low-end torque and are great for work but has no top end speed. You might want to look at the Suzuki Vinson 500 or the Polaris Sportsman 500? They're 4x4, Faster and also can be used for work. Also, I think the Sportsman might have IRS? Someone correct me if im wrong. But both have good suspension systems and can handle anything you throw at them.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Big guy atv

Kawi400

No I don't want to keep up with my son on his bike. I can't keep up with him on my bike,I am OLD and SLOW!!! Does anyone know anything about the Yamy 660, Grizzly I think it is called??

Thanks for the information..

Russ

Old 09-12-2006, 04:22 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Default Big guy atv

A grizz would be a good one too, they ride nice and are comfy. I suggest an Arctic Cat, they are the biggest out there, and have IRS for a plush ride, and 10 inches of suspension travel with 5 adjustment levels. So you can choose a firm or soft ride.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default Big guy atv

if you are 6'4" look at the Arctic Cat I have sat on them at the dealer and they are awsome I think they are the most comfortable utility I have sat on and they have very soft suspension (it seems never rode one) and they are big

Old 09-13-2006, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default Big guy atv

Since you didn't quote a price figure, I'd also recommend the new Grizzly 700 with fuel injection and power steering. I know you aren't looking for speed but this is one of the most state of the art quads out there at this time. The suspension is plush, it handles well, and it is super smooth. Cold starts on a winter morning won't be a problem either. It is pricey, though. You may also want to consider a Suzuki King Quad if you're more budget-minded. It is also a 700cc with fuel injection, handles well and rides nice.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:17 AM
Trailblazer
Default Big guy atv

Kawi brute force 650 sra. I looked at all the quads listed in the other replies and chose the BF 650 because of the price mainly. The BF can be found in most areas cheaper than a vinson, foreman, polaris or arctic cat(500cc and up). Check em all out and you'll know the right one when you see it.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:16 AM
Pro Rider
Default Big guy atv

Do you need 4wd? If not take a look a the KFX700 or DS650. Both of them have plenty of power and have ergos designed for bigger guys.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Big guy atv

Thanks to all so far for the information.

I am going to buy used. The new rides are so much $$$. I don't ride enough to make it worth while. I know this will limit my selection. I would like to have a 2/4 wheel drive. I think I could make some use of it in the winter by plowing snow around my house. I think the 4 wheel drive would be important for that. I think it could be more fun on the trail with just 2 wheel drive to play on. Does this sound correct or is my thinking off here. Like I mentioned in the first post I have ridden a z400 and it had plenty of power, I just wanted something with a bigger cockpit and something I might be able to make use of outside the trail(snowplowing). I think this is why I want the utility ATV. Let me know if you folks think I am way off base.

Thanks again for all of the information so far.

Russ

Old 09-13-2006, 03:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Big guy atv

How about the Kodiak? Is this to much like the Honda Foreman or would this be good on the trails?

Russ