Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Tell how you got your best Out The Door Price (OTD) from dealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tell how you got your best Out The Door Price (OTD) from dealer

This past week I went out and bought a Cycle Trader for the Southern California area. I started to look for my daughter's new quad. At first it was a little overwhelming on how many dealers list Ad's in the magazine. I was looking for the best OTD price that I could get for a 2006 or 2007 TRX250EX. The dealer I usually buy my bikes from always has the best OTD prices anywhere. Their 2006 TRX250EX was $3699 OTD which was fine with me. Their 2007 TRX250EX was $3999 OTD. So I started analyzing all of the dealers Ad's. I found one dealer that would beat any Competitors Advertised Price by a hundred dollars. I almost bought the quad from them for $3599 but they did not have a 2006 in black, although they had it in a 2007. So I said let me take a day to look around at other dealers pricing.

On Sunday I came across another Ad which I missed on Saturday. This Ad said they would beat any Competitors Advertised Price by $200 dollars. I called them, and once again they did not have a 2006 in black which would have been $3499 OTD, they said we have a 2007 in black. At that time I said "thank you for your time I need to think about it". Didn't take me long to call back. I called back and said " I have an Ad for $3999 OTD and asked if they would do the 2007 in black for $3799 OTD as per their advertisement stating "we will beat any Competitors Ad Price by $200". They said they would call me back. Five minutes later they called back and said they had to honor the Ad and they would sell me the 2007 for $3799. So if your looking for a new quad, don't just call. Look at all the Ads you can, you might just get a better deal than you expected.

Here is how the quad price breaks down on the Invoice if anyone is interested.

Unit Price : 3467.36
Vehicle Tax : 251.38 With my local Tax rate
Sales Tax : 3.26 Tax With my local Tax rate
Doc Fees : 45.00
License Fees : 25.00
Tire Fee : 7.00
Freight : 0.00
Handling : 0.00
Dealer Prep 0.00
Total 3799 OTD

I did try to give 3 local dealers my business but they all wanted from $500 to $1200 more for the quad. I traveled 150 miles round trip to get my daughters new quad. I love this quad and it made my daughters year.

I hope others have good stories for those who are looking to purchase a new quad.

SB.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did try to give 3 local dealers my business but they all wanted from $500 to $1200 more for the quad. I traveled 150 miles round trip to get my daughters new quad. I love this quad and it made my daughters year.
>>>>>>>>>>

I had to travel from No. Calif to So. Calif for my Outlander 800. Whittier Fun Center quoted me 8399 OTD (below MSRP) nobody up here would come close, I was quoted same OTD price for a 650 up here. Even after making the 900 mile round trip I still saved a LOT of money. Pays to be patient and to shop around.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Shopping around is gonna be a must. And patience. If they see you hell bent on the model they have, they know not to drop much. Had one dealer tell me an otd price, but still wanted to ad tax. Kept saying they had to add freight and assembly too. Guess they don't know what otd means, and they were azzes anyway.

Gave the dealer I purchased from the otd price I'd pay. Called me back and asked which color I wanted. They still added freight and prep charges, but all totalled to my number. That's all I was asking, so I don't care how they got it.

Of course, on the way home, I had to stop by the azz dealer and show them my new quad. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-21-2006, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

I got a price of $5700 on a small dealer in pittsburgh regular Kodiak 450....then called the bigger dealer where I grew up and they said they could beat it......went to a sales man and walked him to the quad I wanted and said if you can get that $6699 sticker down close to $5000 I would buy it today.....he talked to his boss and out popped a $5400 figure...none of these figures were $$$OTD$$$ but all totaled to $6700 $$$OTD$$$....on the special edition .....I am sure they still made cash on the deal...but I am happy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-21-2006, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

I just went to ritchiepowersports.com where the advertised price IS the OTD price. Two days and 300 miles later, I had a brand new '06 Honda Rubicon for $5977 - no tax.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:18 AM
DS2
Range Rover

I bought an '06 Banshee SE for $5350 after tax. My friend is a manager at a dealership. He installed the FMF's, Elka's, skid plates and ITP T9's/HD's for free.

Old 10-02-2006, 04:28 AM
SJ
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: raidermike67
>>>>>>>>>>

I had to travel from No. Calif to So. Calif for my Outlander 800. Whittier Fun Center quoted me 8399 OTD (below MSRP) nobody up here would come close, I was quoted same OTD price for a 650 up here. Even after making the 900 mile round trip I still saved a LOT of money. Pays to be patient and to shop around.
I know exactly how you feel. When I bought my Raptor 700R last September the lowest I could get for around here was 1k over MSRP not including the extended warranty. I went to all the local dealers around Sac. A salesman at PCP Yamaha even told me that where I was going to get it from that they only sold units that had been dropped off the truck. Another salesman at Capitol Yamaha told me go for it because he could not sale his units that low and make money plus he wasn't expecting to receive very many 700R's for the year. So I drove to Marina Del Rey near the LA Airport to pick mine up. I saved so much money in driving down there for the purchase I spent what I saved in skid plates. I ended up spending $7299.00 OTD for my quad only. The Yamaha Extended Service Plan was a lot cheaper there too $465.00 and good till 2010. Here is the link to where I found mine
Great Deals, Instant Quote

Old 10-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

SJ,

That is the same dealer I bought my first Motorcycles from. I went to my local supercenter dealer to purchase a 2004 DRZ250, 2004 TTR90, and a 2004 CRF150 the price they quoted me out the door was close to 15,000 dollars. I gave OTD Cycle Sport a call and they quoted me MSRP on the DRZ and the CRF and I paid 200 over invoice on the TTR. I saved about $6,000 all together and the drive time for me was only about 50 minutes one way.

I picked up my TTR in Marina Del Rey and the Suzuki and Honda at the LA store.

It definitely pays to invest a little time and call around. For most people, you will still save a good deal of money even if you have to travel a little. It can definitely be worth the drive time knowing that you can not only save money, but get a good enough deal to not only buy extra "toys" / "parts", like you did, but to still come out of the deal with money in your pocket.

Good job.

SB

Old 10-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

I went to all the local dealers around Sac. A salesman at PCP Yamaha even told me that where I was going to get it from that they only sold units that had been dropped off the truck. >>>>>>>>

Tough to get good pricing in Sac, I generally have to travel outside the area. East Bay Motorsports is competitive but very busy and it takes a while.

PCP will NOT negotiate pricing, they charge full MSRP+tax/freight/setup. I think they are mainly a bike shop and are supported by their service department for the most part. They said there was about 4-6 hours labor in assembling each quad.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

raidermike67,

I agree that it takes time and sometimes travel time to find the shop that is willing to work with you.

In my area, we do have a "Supercenter", however, they have lots of showroom space, but limited warehouse space, therefore, they are limited in what they can sell and they do not deal.

When I made my purchase in LA, they had a large selection and dealt with me due to the fact that they had many of the bikes that I wanted to purchase in stock, unlike my local center that carries 1 and sometimes 2 of the same bike. Now when I made my recent purchase for my daughters quad, the dealer has 5 warehouses and therefore can make a deal.

Our time spent at the dealer was approximately 3 1/2 hours. Most of this time was spent walking the store, shopping, yupp, I spent some of that money I saved and bought new clothes for the kids, etc..., we went to lunch and the quad was still being put together. They probably spent about 3 hours from crate till the time I could check it out.

I know that OTD Cycle Sports now has stores in Northern California, hopefully they work and deal like their counterpart down here.

I have not dealt with Whitter Fun Center but the Ad they place in the Cycle Trader shows that they are also a dealer looking to put their customer in their rides for a good price.

SB.

Quick Reply: Tell how you got your best Out The Door Price (OTD) from dealer