Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Help! Get a Traxter, Honda, other??

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2000, 12:14 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr Elusive,
Ive owned a kawi bayou 300 since 1996(two wheel drive) and never ever experienced any problems. To tell the truth I didn't take very good care of it either, often riding it hard, abusing it in Louisiana mud holes and trails,dragging & hauling deer stands miles thru the woods, trail rides thru creeks deeper than the front fenders, heck even sank the thing one time to the air bow was filled w/muddy water. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM! Oils changes and gas.....thats all.

Recently I got me a 2001 praire 300 4x4.......simply love the bike......good power....great ride. Now for engine breaking..your right, it has none, but on a recent ride in hilly land I found that going down hills all you had to do was just give it a little gas and walla.....engine breaking(but your hills may be taller I am sure)If you can get a chance try a kawi praire ......you might like them! Always flawless for me and never left me in the woods yet!
Now, the kodiak is a good looking 4x4 (w/engine breaking), power to spare, shift in/out of four wheel drive!
Honda's Rancher 4x4 is also a good one.
I've seen all three in action and can tell you this kawi praire -- best ride
rancher -- toughest over all
Kodiak -- If you want bigger tires this is your baby... so good luck...and choose what fits your needs most, after all its your money.

KaptnNemo

Old 12-14-2000, 02:09 AM
Trailblazer

Kaptn Nemo,

The two Kawasaki ATVs which I encountered that had problems were both Bayou 220s. So, I just assumed that this transmission problem would occur on all Kawasaki ATVs over time. Obviously, I was wrong, as you stated how reliable your ATV has been. Perhaps this problem only occurs on Bayou 220s? Also, don't forget that although the Kodiak has big, juicy, tires, it really excels in fun. The Kodiak in 2WD is so much fun to drive. It has a softer ride than my Rancher and it slides around on turns like crazy when you gas it. The Kodiak, even when in 4WD, is clearly not as capable as my Rancher 4x4, but the fact that it is so fun to drive and easier to turn the handlebar makes up for it. I think that whatever of the three ATVs this guy decides on, he won't regret his decision. =)

Old 12-14-2000, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

Don't discount a Sportsman until you drive one. The 01 machines have a sportier engine, easier steering, and have beefed up the only weaknesses that I know of on the machine. Until you have ridden on one, you will not believe the ride. I used to think my Xplorer had a good suspension setup. Then my brother in law got a Sportsman. It is just unbelievable what the suspension can soak up. Especially if you may ride double, it will keep your passenger (or you) from getting beat up. They also have very, very good ground clearance, and (in my opinion) the best 4wd system out there. You can run in 2wd and powerslide corners, and when you hit mud or snow, flip a switch, and you have TRUE 4wd.
Don't get me wrong, you can't go wrong with any of the machines mentioned, just don't discount the new Sportsman as being too 'utility' for trail riding.

Old 12-14-2000, 12:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

My wife liked the traxter said it was cool looking she also liked, as she put it the cool thumb thing (shifter). My dad has a traxter and has had no problems with it. I have a 2001 450es and the shifting on the traxter is a little slower and noisy but it also has a low range the honda does not have. He has ridden my machine and likes it. As he said being 55 years young he likes the step through of the traxter. Me being 35 and have a bad knee find it kinda handy to. My wife can also ride my 450 with no problems. Likes the cool thumb thingy. The 450es does have the lcd if you happen to like gadgets and things.

Old 12-14-2000, 12:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Almost forgot the 450es is alot cheaper. If the cost is not a factor and you want that machine that is going to be different get the traxter and as we say in Alabama "SAVE UP"