Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Need Some Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 11:54 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Advice

Originally posted by: MotoF150
If ur NOT planning on crossing rivers and creeks, NOT submerging the engine in water the Kingquad 700, 450, or the Yamaha Kodiak will work great. if ur planning on rough and abusive riding and running thru deep water go with the Prarire 360. Other choices I would suggest is the Yamaha Big Bear, the Suzuki Eiger or Vinson Manual, The Eiger and Vinson manual both have high and low range and a front slip diff that works as good as a front locker. Plus all the Honda's are gear drive, thay may be slower but they will go anywhere. Most ATV's use a engine belt drive, its a cheap fan belt on pressed steel pulleys that connect the engine crank to the transmission, these belts will slip and smoke when they get wet or when you use ur atv in a stall of bulldozer condition, they get wet and slip when you ride across creeks, stall when you hill climb and ride over logs and rocks, bulldoze when you plow snow. Some ATV's don't use belts, they are a solid gear drive, with a clutch simular to whats on a motorcycle. Most ATV salesmen will lie and tell you the engine side case that covers the belt drive is waterproof, but fail to tell you it has a vent hose that allows water in, some will tell you the belt has an automatic belt tensioner that keeps the belt tight so it never slips. I have been riding with many makes and models of atvs for years and I have seen the problems with the belt drives, I call them "belt smokers". Most ATV's are made with belt drive cause its cheaper to make, they hold the price down and more profit plus they make money selling new belts. Buy a gear drive ATV!
WOW talk about the misinformed advising people. All quads have a air box intake after water reaches that point the engine sucks water instead of air and the ride is over. A 360 has some special ability to defy physic when crossing water?
You do not adjust belt tension on a belt drive the primary and Secondary are fix at there distance, My god how many sleds have you ever seen where I guys says "Hang on I have to tighten my belt" LOL.
A limited slip front end can work as good as lockers? NOT! Where do you think the vent hose of a belt drive goes too? its intake is the same hight as the air box intake. Belts are not put one because there cheap why does Yamaha use a 5 speed on there little 250 Beartracker but use a belt on there top of the line 700 Grizzly? It,s just that shifting is not everyones thing when trail riding ,I had a 450ES I know how shifting sucks,why do $10,000 sleds use nothing else.
Slipping belts? The only time I see this is if the ATV has no low range at all or the person does not know when its time to use it. Plowing snow and rock crawling is as good a time as any to use low.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider
Default Need Some Advice

Most ATV's are made with belt drive cause its cheaper to make, they hold the price down and more profit plus they make money selling new belts. Buy a gear drive ATV!
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;

They've used the same transmissions and belts in snowmobiles for years. I had an old Yamaha sled that the transmission belt lasted longer then the track did. CVT's get a bad rap by some people IMO even major auto makers are starting to use them.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider
Default Need Some Advice

You know, it is also conceivable that a Honda CVT could get water in it. If it's tanked and all the water isn't completely drained from the crankcase, it could happen. I wonder if it would survive as well as a belt transmission then?

Old 11-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Trailblazer
Default Need Some Advice

i got to ride today a polaris 500efi and all i have to say is WOW!!! very powerful, very smooth. heck, the dealer even looked me in the eye when we talked. i didnt even mind the single brake lever. very nice machine. he even told me that any brand might have boot problems. now i need to ride a ac 400 or 500, kq 450, and the kodiak 450. so far i really like the polaris.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Trailblazer
Default Need Some Advice

Check out ATV Reviews for what owners think of their new ATVs. Go to the review section and pick the manufacturer. The Ford versus Chevy thing is kept to a minimum.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:38 PM
Trailblazer
Default Need Some Advice

If I were you I would make sure it has IRS. You won't get hung up as easily than if you had a straight axle. Also I too just bought my first quad last year for plowing snow (primary reason) and to do work around my campground. As time went on I wish I had more power, IRS, and a 2 up option (IMO) because you'll want to tackle bigger better things. Also if your driving on grass alot look at something with "turf" mode or something similar ( won't have to repair your grass after every turn you make). Have fun testing all those quads and good luck finding one that suites your needs.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:47 AM
Pro Rider
Default Need Some Advice

The Suzuki limited slip front diff works just as good as a locker, with an advantage that you can still steer it it when both front wheels are spinning. I understand many of you guys never operated ur belt drive atv in extreme conditions. I understand if you have no faith in ur belt drive atv can perform under extreme conditions. I also understand many of you guys are afraid to even try to ride it thru seat deep water and mud, to climb vertical hill climbs. I have seen all makes and brands of belt drives run in these extreme conditions and they always fall short they DO NOT perform in these conditions as good as a gear drive. There are many belt drives that will out-perform my gear drive on a long, smooth, level dirt road, but when it comes time to get serious thru deep water and mud, thru narrow trails climbing over downed trees, up vertical hill climbs, ur belt drive won't keep up. I said this before if ur not going to abuse or run an atv thru these extreme conditions then a belt drive atv will work, but if ur a serious, fearless, tough rider, buy a gear drive.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:09 AM
Trailblazer
Default Need Some Advice

IMO the p360 did well in water because the intake and cvt snorkle are located fairly high on the quad. And belt tension is adjustable on kawasaki cvts, I dont know about other brands.Belt deflection is adjusted by adding or removing shims in the driven pully and adjustment makes a big difference.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:55 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Default Need Some Advice

Originally posted by: MotoF150
The Suzuki limited slip front diff works just as good as a locker, with an advantage that you can still steer it it when both front wheels are spinning. I understand many of you guys never operated ur belt drive atv in extreme conditions. I understand if you have no faith in ur belt drive atv can perform under extreme conditions. I also understand many of you guys are afraid to even try to ride it thru seat deep water and mud, to climb vertical hill climbs. I have seen all makes and brands of belt drives run in these extreme conditions and they always fall short they DO NOT perform in these conditions as good as a gear drive. There are many belt drives that will out-perform my gear drive on a long, smooth, level dirt road, but when it comes time to get serious thru deep water and mud, thru narrow trails climbing over downed trees, up vertical hill climbs, ur belt drive won't keep up. I said this before if ur not going to abuse or run an atv thru these extreme conditions then a belt drive atv will work, but if ur a serious, fearless, tough rider, buy a gear drive.
I live in Northern Ontario Canada the trails are as a tuff as they get and as I type this they are buried under 12" of snow. Go to a extreme mud run contest all the bad boys are belt dive because besides Honda the bigest badest Utility ATVs are all belt drives.. Even Suzuki only uses belt one there largest Utility(700 King Quad),whys that ? because gear drive worked so good on there cheaper smaller Eigers that they dare not put it on there much more expensive and powerful flag ship.LOL

Yes you can adjust deflection but thats as common as adjusting valves. Mostly you just change the $50 belt every 1000 miles,might take 25 Min. though.

Try this with your Eiger!

Kawasaki Brute force Belt Drive, not much slipping going on.

Another odd thing If Belt Drive is so cheap why does the Eiger and Vinson cost MORE in the belt drive version vs the gear model?

Belt vs Gear Eigers

Old 11-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Trailblazer
Default Need Some Advice

i got to ride the ac 400 today. the dealer didnt seem too energetic or liked to talk. it seemed as it rode rough and stiff, wasnt as nice as the polaris. you could hear the gears "clunk" when going from 2wd to 4wd and back. when i opened up the throttle, it seemed to veer and wabble at high speed. i wasnt too impressed with ac. i still need to ride the kq 450 and the grizzly 450. the ac dealer told me that the polaris 4wd was magnetic powered. is he right? how dependable is the 4wd set-up on the polaris?

Quick Reply: Need Some Advice