Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Suggestions for what to buy...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006 | 06:22 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Suggestions for what to buy...

I'm trying to decide with either a dirt bike or atv. I grew up riding the full size atv's and 3 wheelers and would like to get into a more (lets see) "eventful" bike. My husband use to race motox, so he's the one with all of the dirt bike experience. I ride snowmobiles and jet ski's, but never dirt bike or "sport" atv. Im only 5'4, 125 lbs, and i have short legs, so i am eary of a dirt bike, but I like to ride the dunes and i try to do a little freestyle with my sled. Can you tell me any suggestions or comments you would have on either one? Not sure what size of either or what would be big enough. ANY suggestions would be great! Keep in mind where i live in Colorado in the Rocky Mtns, its ALL terrain and there is everything here.

Old 12-12-2006 | 11:12 PM
Range Rover

get your self a yamaha YZ80 get one a few years old. them little dirt bikes are cheap and fun. if you dont like it get rid of it . a 80 will haul @$$ and is a good size for you . and good to start on at any age or size.

you wont take to much of a hit when you sell it if you buy a used one at a good price. any brand 80cc motocross bike is good. i just like YZ80's.

if you hate it or outgrow it just git rid of it. and get yourself a 400ex honda 4 wheeler or a bigger dirt bike.or the best bike of all time a 1986 honda ATC 250R . you cant go wrong with that last one.

i would like a KTM 125.

what do you think?sound good?

Old 12-13-2006 | 08:02 AM
Trailblazer

dune riding!! go with the atv...if you go to the dunes you might see 1 bike for every 500 atv's. also living in CO. a atv would be much better than a bike. i wouldnt want to ride a bike on ice or snow. im not against bikes, i love them but being 45 its a little nicer on a atv for me.

Old 12-13-2006 | 10:29 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

I grew up riding dirt bikes. I have short legs as well, and trouble is the dirt bikes have grown taller and taller. All the performance ones, are now probably way to tall for me.

At your size and weight, you have several choices in some really fun machines! The Yamaha Blaster (200 2-stroke) is a kick to ride, and the Honda 300EX is a solid dependable machine. (I use to bust out huge air on the little 300.) The Honda 250EX is a nice quad as well, but it isn't suspended as well as the 300.

The next step up is the 400's. Honda 400EX and Suzuki Z400. You might find these a little big and heavy for you however.

Another step up are the 450's which absolutely scream, but are at least very light (lighter than the 400's).

Old 12-13-2006 | 11:36 AM
DS2
Range Rover

I agree with being petite, the dirtbikes are tall. I agree with reconranger's suggestions. From blaster to 300EX or Raptor 350 would be a comfortable size; a 400 if you want more power...and more weight. I grew up on 2 wheels, then/now 3 and 4. I prefer a quad over a dirtbike at this point. My wife, who's your size, decided on a Grizzly 700 over the Grizzly 350-450 due to the extremely light steering. It'll handle a lot of the terrain you may be referring to where you live, but I don't see it as a freestyling duner. There's also a Yamaha Wolverine 350 & 450 which are sportier 4WD quads. And if you want more power and weight there's a Polaris Scrambler 500 Automatic/AWD. Like mentioned, for sport quads there's a Banshee(350cc 2 stroke), all the 450's, a 525cc with IRS and 700cc 4 strokes.

Old 12-13-2006 | 11:49 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for all of your suggestions. If i go with the atv, can some of you explain to me the difference in the smaller 300's vs. the 400 and 450's and then the raptors that get bigger. Is there a weight and steering/handling difference in them? Sorry to sound so naive, but I really just don't know too much on these new atv's. Any info would be great-Thanks again-

Old 12-13-2006 | 12:06 PM
Red Rider

Best thing is to go to a dealership, and sit on them all. See how the ergonomics are, things like does the distance to the bars feel right, the seat height, is the overall size of the machine intimidating, etc.

Another issue is how technical the riding will be??? Do you ride slow technical rocky trails in the mountains, or are you in the more open country where the speeds will be faster?

Seeing that you aren't a rank beginner, do you feel like you can handle the power of something like a 450??? This is a nice class of machines, because they are so light (not that much heavier than a Blaster!). The power is there if and when you want it, but if you don't, just don't push the throtle so far. My boys are about your size, and they love the 450R (when I'm willing to give it up for them to ride).

Old 12-13-2006 | 12:22 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

reconranger-Do you have a preference with Yamaha or Honda? Always had Honda and Kawa, but friends all have Yamaha. Any spec. differences, good or bad?

Old 12-13-2006 | 05:39 PM
Red Rider

I'm not a Yamaha fan, and that is based on owning two of them. Back in the day, I rode a Warrior. At the time, somebody told me to get the Honda 250R instead, but I wanted a 4-stroke (wish I had gone with the Honda!). The Warrior was absolutely the worst quad I have ever owned, not in terms of durability, but in terms of handling. What a tank!

Our other Yamaha was a Blaster, and boy was it fun! But, the swingarm cracked everywhere there was a weld! Keep in mind that this machine got jumped a lot, but the 300EX got jumped just as much, and never had a problem.

As for the other Yamahas, stay away from the Raptor 350, because it is just a warmed over Warrior. I have buddies who ride the YFZ, and it is great fun. Feels like a Blaster with more power. I think the YFZ would make a great play/track quad, but not such a good choice for long cross-country rides. I have other buddies that have the Raptor 700. It really torques! Love the power, but the ergonomics just don't fit me very well.

Personally, when I ride desert my choice is the Honda 450R (this is the absolute king of desert racing!), and on slower more technical trails I prefer the Honda 400EX. And, for REALLY technical stuff, the Rancher 4X4.

Old 12-13-2006 | 06:30 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Does anyone know a big difference of preference of the Suz. Z400 v. the 400EX Honda?

Quick Reply: Suggestions for what to buy...