Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Best Sport ATV for a Big rider

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Sport ATV for a Big rider

You need reverse if you're a girl, a kid, or ride a big fat quad over 400 lbs. Any reasonably sized adult male should be able to move a sport quad by hand without issue.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why try and hurt your self with a flick of a **** you have reverse .well worth it .but if your big enough you can just pick the machine up and turn it around ,
I've hurt my back to many times so I like reverse .

Old 01-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: ajd187
You need reverse if you're a girl, a kid, or ride a big fat quad over 400 lbs. Any reasonably sized adult male should be able to move a sport quad by hand without issue.
That's a pretty bold and stupid statement.

I'll pay for reverse and be comfortable.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Im leaning toward more "stupid" for that comment

Old 01-02-2007, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

yeah , and incase he hasn t heard , stupid hurts ....

Old 01-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I was desert riding this past weekend and rode pretty far down a tight sand wash that started getting tighter and tighter until.....ooooopps, end of the road unless you're riding a motocycle because the bolders closed in and shut us out.

Now here is what really pisses me off...THE FREAKING REVERSE LIMITER ON MY CRAPTURD!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

I would have LOVED to back out of this mess but noooooooo, all I got was pop pop sputter sputter pop and nothing so I had to get off and turn it around anyway which wasn't easy being sandwhiched in a tight canyon with sand so deep your boots sink with every step.

Conclusion? I'd still go with reverse no questions but I'd sure like my manufacturer to make the damn thing actually useful. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 01-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by: Just4Kicks
I was desert riding this past weekend and rode pretty far down a tight sand wash that started getting tighter and tighter until.....ooooopps, end of the road unless you're riding a motocycle because the bolders closed in and shut us out.

Now here is what really pisses me off...THE FREAKING REVERSE LIMITER ON MY CRAPTURD!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

I would have LOVED to back out of this mess but noooooooo, all I got was pop pop sputter sputter pop and nothing so I had to get off and turn it around anyway which wasn't easy being sandwhiched in a tight canyon with sand so deep your boots sink with every step.

Conclusion? I'd still go with reverse no questions but I'd sure like my manufacturer to make the damn thing actually useful. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I have seen this way more times than I care to count... I always find it funny how it takes me less time to turn around my forward only trannied quad than it takes some with the backup feature. Most places I ride are groomed and mostly one way. On the rare occasion I NEED to make a 180, seems there is always a way to do it without dismounting. Reverse, good to have but not necessary in most situations.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

My 07 Yamaha Big Bear has a reverse overide of sorts. OR so the salesman said. There is button that I can push while in reverse to enable it to go quicker.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 04 Z has plenty of go fast in reverse .

Old 01-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

How many guys that have replied are 300 pounds plus? I ask as I was discussing this earlier with a buddy and I had given thought to how the weight affects the bike. Such as the clutch, suspension and motor. Most guys wouldn't pull a utility cart behind their sport quad, same principal. My train of thought was to start with big displacement cc wise, low end torque and great suspension. The high revving top end bikes would be pointless based on the weight being moved. Big guys generally don't drive compacts, they drive Sport Ute's, so they fit comfortably.

Quick Reply: Best Sport ATV for a Big rider