Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Atv Tracks

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 02:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atv Tracks

I tested the Can-Am Apache track kit last fall on top of a glacier in Canada. They also had a competive track kit there for us to test. The Apache kit will fit other brands of ATVs, too.

The competive track kit required so much upper body strength to turn that it was actually very unpleasant to drive. It really sucked. I hated it.

Whereas, the Can-Am Apache track kit turned very well and it was actually quite pleasurable and fun to drive. It went through snow like crazy!

Can-Am, having a long history of building ski-doo snowmobiles, was in a very unique position to design a first-class track kit. The reason their tracks turn better is because they use a very large diameter drive wheel up front. This causes the front of the front track to slope upwards at an angle. So instead of the track plowing head-on into snow, its actually "climbing" into the snow or "cutting" into the snow. This makes the front feel lighter and more manueverable.

The Apache kit is for snow only. Frankly, I don't see a use for a track kit in mud unless you had a business where you were using the track equipped ATV every day in the bogs. For the average guy, a wheeled ATV will go through almost all the mud you can handle. Whereas snow is a different story. I could see using a track kit for snow.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Can-Am Apache track kit to you. It works very well. The other track kit manufacturers never seem to want to provide us with their kit to test. So this is what they get -- we recommend the tracks (their competition's) that we know work.