Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Land friendly atv

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Land friendly atv

I'd like to have an ATV that has differentials on the front and back axels. That would allow turns without digging ruts. Ideally, there would be lockouts for tough going. Is there such an animal?

Old 01-25-2007, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

As far as I know, there are only two such animals. The Polaris Sportsman 500 & 800 X2, which features a dump box/extra seat for two-up riding, and carrying cargo. They both have 'turf' mode, which is open diff's front and back, standard 2wd, and 4wd. 500EFI single, and 800EFI twin.

Check them out at:

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...s/SportsmanX2/

Hope this helps, I don't think there are any others with the open rear diff's.

-Krait

Old 01-25-2007, 10:07 PM
Trailblazer

Polaris also makes an "all Terrrain Pickup" (ATP) in a 330 and 500 HO version. (At least they still up until 2005, I don't know if they still do) The ATP has a dump truck style cargo box in the rear and a front storage box/rack. You have the option of 2WD, 4WD, or "Turf mode" that unlocks the rear differential and gives you a 20% tighter turning radius with less damage to the terrain. It was explained to me that they made it for working in places like golf courses but still has the AWD for rougher terrain. I almost bought one because it was being sold at a great price, but the biggest downfall for me was that it has a swing arm rear suspension, not the independent rear suspension of the other Polaris utility ATVs. It would make for a much rougher ride on rocky/uneven terrain.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you seem to be looking for is a machine with an "open" rear differential. This automatically leaves out all the solid axle machines, so it would have to be one of the IRS machines. It shouldn't be a big deal to engineer a diff that is open but can also be locked when desired. If there was enough demand out there, maybe somebody..........

Old 01-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

The ATP's were replaced by the X2's, no need for a quad with a dump box when you can get one with a dump box AND a convertable two-up seat all in one quad.

Its possible to make an IRS machine have open rear diff's, but I doubt it would be practical or inexpensive to do so. Especially when you have a machine with those features already built in.

But who knows, I'm not an engineer. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Oh, and the X2's all have IRS. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

-Krait