Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Tired of riding wifes honda 250, need my own.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 03:01 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tired of riding wifes honda 250, need my own.

What should I get?
We got her a 250 so that we can get more experience. I still need more experience, but feel its time to get into a bigger quad. You guys have any ideas?
I am still considered a novice rider. No jumping just trails and easy riding.

Thanks,

Old 06-06-2007, 04:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Victor,

Try a 300 or 350/360. My girlfriend hadn't rode in years and hopped on my old 300 with no problems at all. You have any friends with a bigger bike you can ride for a day? 300 may not be much of a difference than the 250. But you are your best judge to know what bike you'll feel comfortable on.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:47 AM
Range Rover

Having no experience with quads I bought a Honda Rancher TRX420FM which I've been very happy with. My decision to buy this model was based purely on researching the Internet and reading various reviews on the 2007 model Rancher which has several upgrades over the 2006 model. Though it still has less than 20 hours on it, my use has included winching and hauling wood on our property as well as riding 2-up with my wife on mountain trails and ocean beaches. I've made it through deep soft sand in the dunes with the stock tires by shifting into 4wd when I felt it starting to bog down, and pulled right through. Though it's not intended to carry a passenger it's easy to do on this machine, especially with the Moose Utility Division Pro Padded Bottom Bag on the back. When riding single on logging roads this thing scrambles around and corners with remarkable agility.

Not having experience on different models I can't give you any comparisons, but I can tell you that an adult novice can handle the Rancher 420 just fine, and I get the feeling that even as my skills develop I am not going to outgrown this machine anytime soon.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We talking sport quad here or utility????

As for sports, the 400's (Honda 400EX or Suzuki Z400) are great all-around machines. Solid, reliable, good suspension, and great handling. I like the EX for very tight trails, and the Z for faster more open trails and wide open country. Guess I would throw the Raptor 700 in here as well, although it has some quirks (to narrow and a little top heavy, and I don't like the ergonimics one bit), that I personally just don't like.

The 450's are a step up. The ultimate in ultralight high performance! They all like to be ridden reved out though, so they aren't the hot setup for a tight technical trail.

If maybe you are thinking utility, I have a new 4X4 Honda Rancher 420 (fuel injected/water cooled) that has turned out to be an absolute peach!

Old 06-06-2007, 11:49 PM
Range Rover

Victor says he is looking for a bigger quad for trail riding which a novice rider can handle, so in that context the Rancher 420 is worth consideration.

Victor, the Honda Rancher 420 may be more than you need for just trail riding, but it's all-around versatility might serve you well if there's a chance you might want to do anything more with it.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: vmutt

What should I get?

We got her a 250 so that we can get more experience. I still need more experience, but feel its time to get into a bigger quad. You guys have any ideas?

I am still considered a novice rider. No jumping just trails and easy riding.

Thanks,</end quote></div>

DON'T buy and Arctic Cat - you might like it and go places that others can't (no fun riding alone). That would be a big step for a novice... lol...

Old 06-11-2007, 12:45 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks,

I have been thinking of going with either Suzuki, or Honda 450. I did ride a Suzuki 450 once and the ride felt real good. The stance on it is just right. I just wanted to hear some input from experienced riders. Correct me if im wrong but are the utility quads more heavier? If so then that would be out of the question, seeing that I load and unload the quads on my own. On a small trailer mind you. Buuuuuutttttt, I do have to get a bigger trailer to accomodate MY quad.
Thanks again.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:53 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Suzuki 450 is wide and slung low...not exactly the hot setup for a tight trail. A geared down 450R would be a better choice for the trail, but if your trails are tight and slower, skip the 450s and get a 400.

The 450 sport quads are in the 350 pound range.

The 400 sport quads are in the 400 pound range.

The utilities are in the 600-800 pound range.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

vmutt, are you talking 450 sports or utes? If your wife will be sticking with the 250, and you are riding together all the time, don't go with a racer 450. Those can be ridden slow, but you would get acceptable performance and a better ride from something with a little less "edge."

Old 06-14-2007, 01:31 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah,
Wife is keeping her quad. It works great that way cause I keep the 250 on 1st gear and my oldest can ride that. Plus her on the 250 will keep her at camp with the kids while I can go out and ride with the big boys. Anyway, I have considering the Honda 450. Hopefully I can score a deal on something soon.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Tired of riding wifes honda 250, need my own.