Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

New riders considering purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007 | 11:20 PM
|
Range Rover
Default New riders considering purchase

We recently rode ATV's for the first time and discovered the fun we've been missing. We are now considering the purchase of our own quads. We are looking more toward sport quads for trail and dune riding. My concern is the size differences between riders. I'm 6'5" she is 5'0". I don't mind learning a manual shifter (been looking at used Honda 300ex or 400 ex, but she would rather not mess with a clutch. The reach and ease of operation of the controls, such as the brake levers, is also important for her. The main thing is we are looking for something that will fit a smaller adult rider, yet be able to keep up with a larger machine. To keep within budget we are looking at used name brands. We've also heard about chinese and taiwanese quads like Jetmoto and Kymco, but we are concerned about the quality and reliability.

Anyway, we would appreciate any input or first hand experience you may have. Thank you!

Old 06-21-2007 | 02:07 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Maybe a Honda 250EX for her. It has an autoclutch. Newer models do have a "sportclutch" left hand lever, that you can use or not...as you like. Nice little sweet handling machine! Dead solid reliable....

The 300EX is to small for you. The 400 is a dead solid reliable machine as well. Nice handling! Be sure it isn't to small for you as well.

Old 06-22-2007 | 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

if she did want to end up learning a clutch then go for the blaster nice little zippy bike considerign her size and with you i agree with reconranger 400ex i also agree with him about the 250ex my suggestion about the blaster is only for if she wanted to learn the clutchand have a speedy bike good luck

Old 06-22-2007 | 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

also byer beware on the chinese bikes my lil sister has one from jetmoto and its a piece of crap

front bumper came off by picking it up
motor mounts keep disappearing
suspension is as hard as a rock
and a lot of other misc. things

Old 06-22-2007 | 09:59 PM
|
Range Rover

Thank you for the input reconranger and mdebuck! The Hondas are kind of what I'm leaning toward. How does Kymco rate in the mix? I figured that the chinese quads were too much of a case of "you get what you pay for"

BTW when did Honda add reverse to the 400ex? My concern is that, with a mix of trail riding, reverse may come in handy. Also are there any tips for riding trails with a manual clutch? My friends all have automatics, so they aren't much help. I won't complain, though. They did let me ride their Grizzly 660!

Old 06-22-2007 | 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

my girlfriend has a 2005 400ex and she says its complicated to put into reverse i think 2005 is the 1st year but i'm not positive if not 2005 then probably 2004 good luck

Old 06-23-2007 | 04:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

In trail riding 2 Wheel or 4 Wheel drive. Is the extra $1000 to $1500 worth it or can I get around just fine with a 2 wheel drive???

Old 06-23-2007 | 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

u should be just fine with a 2 x 4 most of us have 2 wheel drive anyways and unless your going to be riding in thick mucky mud or slippery rocks ur not going to need a 4 x 4

Old 06-24-2007 | 09:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks mdebuck,I know there is other things to consider but I just wanted the feelings on 2 vs 4 wheel drive....

Old 06-26-2007 | 07:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Rkangel,
You're in the same boat I was in. I'm 6'5" and the wife is 5'4". We mainly ride fields and trails. I went with the z400 for myself. It was a personal choice as I was torn between the z and the 400ex. The z just seemed to fit me better. The wife wasn't interested in a sports model and wanted a utility. We looked at the rancher and she thought it was a little too big for her. We looked at the recon with the electric shift and she loves it. It's a fun little quad to tool around on. Don't know if it would be very effective in the dunes as you talked about riding in. Anyway, those are the two quads I went with and I couldn't be happier.

Quick Reply: New riders considering purchase