Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Old Off-Road Racer looking for a sport quad

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007 | 09:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Old Off-Road Racer looking for a sport quad

seems like one hell of a good deel, theres only one probblem honda was the first to build the 450 class i have the first year built it's a2004 so theres no way he's been racen 450s for seven years . he sounds like hes full of b.s. ask to see recipts for all internol build parts .

Old 07-03-2007 | 09:46 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

This is strictly a track quad, and isn't going to be a desert cross country machine at all. Ok for the dunes though.

Never been "raced" but it it was a "practice" quad, you know that is really the same thing. He raced the 450R, and left the Yamaha home on race day...what's that telling us about which is the better machine??? If it has the stock swingarm, they will crack...even on a "practice" quad.

I would worry seriously about reliability, unless all you are looking for is a track/play quad where you will never be to far from your truck and your tool box. This thing has had to much done to it to be counted on for a 100 mile cross country ride in the Arizona desert...I just would never trust it! Never ride alone, so somebody can tow you home....

Old 07-04-2007 | 03:43 AM
|
Trailblazer

He raced a 250R back in the day. It sounds like this 450 was supposed to be a dune rider. Nor sure yet why he is getting rid of it.

Here are some pics he sent today. (big ones be ready)

450-1 (Pics fixed now!)
450-2

This is strictly a track quad My thoughts entirely! It sems to me like he is taking a pretty good hit at $6000. Am I wrong?

Never ride alone, so somebody can tow you home....

This rasies another question. My wife most likely will never go with me except maybe a dune weekend. But I doubt we would ever get one for her.

Most of my friends, all of them being in my age group, have no interest in quads. So how does one find a riding partner(s)? I realize riding in the summer needs to be done early morn before it gets too hot. It would be plain stupid to be running when it's in the triple digits!! Are there areas close by the valley to desert ride anymore? I see on some other sites there are "group rides" they put together and they go for a weekend. All over the state of AZ. But most of these groups ride UTVs & side by sides. I think I would get bored pretty quickly.

So where do you guys ride, besides at the track, and the dunes?

PS: Just wanted to say Thanks to all of You for putting up with my questions. It really helps me out.

Old 07-04-2007 | 09:28 AM
Red Rider

Do a post in the "Where to Ride" section, and see who is out there in your area. I do this now and then and we put together a group ride, usually in the local mountains (So. Calif.). Have met lots of nice folks that way....

For reliability, I would look for something with a stock engine. Sure, it can have the basic mods like an exhauste, etc., but I wouldn't get anything that had any motor work. Don't end up dead out in the desert!

Can't you get a brand new Z400 for $6,000??? Sure it will have less power, but in terms of reliability.....

Old 07-04-2007 | 11:46 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

Can't you get a brand new Z400 for $6,000??? Sure it will have less power, but in terms of reliability.....</end quote></div>

Thats a good recommendation right there. Plenty of power and plush suspension. All of the 450's have harsh suspension and an older guy is gonna be laid up for a day or so after a long hard ride the day before. I hate to be negative but if you get something you don't enjoy riding your atving experience could be ruined. Maintenance is gonna go up considerably with a high strung 450 as well. Just remember that what one pays for aftermarket parts on quads and motorcycles may yield upon sale little to nothing more than what a stock counterpart would......it sucks but it's true.

Old 07-04-2007 | 12:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

i couldent dissagee more on your suspension comment most of my freinds ride z400 "2doz" and 99 percent prefer 450 power and sus over the z . as fare as maint, the z's motor is the same concept as the 450, dont for get honda owns stock in suzuki and often uses suzu as a guinea pig (keeping hondas name clean)mant is about the same on both bikes.besides even though the 450s sus isnt absulutly perfect, it is all fully adjustable ya cant say that for a z. not to mention i'v seen more than two z400 trannys crap the bed in the last year alone and have heard alot of complaints from others about the same, i will give the z this much e-start and reverse some times make my 04 450r a lil jealous

Old 07-04-2007 | 01:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

p.s. i dont know where you guys live but you can get a brand new bone stock z400 or 450r under $5500.00 cash around here

Old 07-04-2007 | 01:30 PM
|
Trailblazer

I'm in Phoenix. I was hoping I could get a used stock ride in decent shape for around $3500 to $4000. I just started looking so we'll see..

The one I posted above caught my eye just beause all of the goodies that comes with it. I need to 'beat down' the racer in me to keep from buying it.

From talking with all of you and others on other forums, I am leaning to more of a stock 450. Get my skills back by finding a riding buddy and riding in the desert around the state of AZ. Maybe make a few trips to the dunes.

Then see if there are enough riders in the 30+/40+ bracket to warrant setting it up to race.

I would'nt mind buying a bike that has some mods done to it as long as the reliablity is still there. I now about the time and effort it takes to keep a race vehicle running.

Old 07-04-2007 | 04:01 PM
Red Rider

By "race", what kind of racing do you mean? You seem to have some desert racing experience, but we talking that, MX, or what???

Old 07-04-2007 | 04:26 PM
|
Trailblazer

I don't think my body can take desert racing on a quad. I know how a stock mini pickup or full size pickup beats you up. and I did that 10 years ago.

Desert Trail riding I can do, and plan to. Racing would be something I would work into, if at all.

So it would be MX, TT, or flat track if I feel up to it. Again it would be for fun in a local series, not national.

The more I think about it I should probably stay with a relatively stock quad untill I see how I do on the darn thing.

Maybe like this set of '07 TRX 450s for $9000 Here's the script:

The one quad with the PRM six pack rack and nerf bars has about 10 hrs riding time on it, it belongs to the wife. The other quad has about 25 hrs riding time on it, with many upgrades.It has ESR intake system, Full Rossier exhaust system, Dyno jet kit, pro armor handle bars, and nerf bars. Both quad well maintained, with fluid changes after every ride, K&N oil filters. MOVING MUST SELL

And I might have found a buddy to join me in the purchase [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] )

This seems like a pretty good deal seeing as how new '07 go for Around $6800 to $7000 around here.

Quick Reply: Old Off-Road Racer looking for a sport quad