Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which Would You Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007 | 10:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which Would You Buy?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MK19

Get out and kick some tires and get some seat time and take what

you hear about other bikes on this site with a grain of salt.</end quote></div>

well said

Old 07-11-2007 | 12:37 AM
Trailblazer

polaris fan's.......represent. get a sportsman....polaris is fun and reliable nuf sed.

Old 07-20-2007 | 03:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Posts like this are always the same. You just have to try out your options and decide for yourself, but since you asked for opinions, here is mine.
I'm a big fan of Honda utilities, I know all kinds of people who have them, and have had no problems. I still have a 89' 300 Honda that I ride from time to time. Haven't had a problem from it since it was new in 89'. A lot of people seem to be happy with Yamaha utilities, but I have no first hand experience other than riding them. I know a guy that used to rent Bombadier (Can-Am) and Artic Cat. He seemed to have a lot of problems, but I know the people renting them had to be ruff on them. My girlfriends dad has a 400 Artic Cat and it will climb and go like a billy goat. He has had a few small electrical problems (nothing major), but the dealership took care of them. I don't like how the brake lever will lock all 4 wheels, but I could see it bieng a benifit in some cases I guess.

Old 07-20-2007 | 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

...the Polaris SP800 based on my uses and In My humble opinion is the best looking machine out there. <div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>

BEAST looking machine? You were just kidding no?

Old 07-21-2007 | 12:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

I like the Artic Cat 650 There not too expensice and you can get 2 different computer chips in them. My uncle has both. I have a 400ex and He stays right with me and his top speed Is rediculous probably about 90 if you let it. the chip alows a much more powerful take off and takes away the govrn.

Old 07-21-2007 | 01:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

here is my peace....my 800 outlander bombardier max is the bomb it took me to the snow at 10 thousand feet with my big horn tires .....it handle like a dream, and took me to the trail in marysvalle in utah....who knows where else it is going to take me next ....it is a awesome atv....but every one has diff. needs and wants...good luck...happy trails....

Old 07-21-2007 | 07:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I enjoy my 2006 Polaris Sportsman 450 Browning Edition (got a heck of a deal on it!) for Deer Hunting and Ice Fishing... I pulled my 9 point buck (200lbs) over 2 miles last year through some tough stuff in northern MN last year without a problem and I pull my fish house (800lbs) with ease... The Sportman are simply great utility ATV's that ride like a cadillac over the rough stuff!

Other favorites:
Can-Am, overpriced on their hunting packages, but nice.
2007 Suzuki 450 EFI King Quad... my brother picked one up two weeks ago (2007 Camo) and got a great deal on it! I was very impressed when I took it for a test drive... still think the Polaris is a lot smoother of a ride, but it handled really well and for the price for an EFI model it's got to be the best in the 400 class. Trying to talk my wife into getting one, but I think she's going to go with a Polaris Trail Boss for Utility and Trail Riding.

Old 07-27-2007 | 01:29 AM
Range Rover

I just went through this with my dad who is 73 years old. I have a 2005 King Quad, so I was partial to Suzuki. He asked me what he should get ( he had an older Polaris 500 Sportsman).

I told him to go ride them all and see what he feels most comfortable with.

He wanted fuel injection, so that limited him to what makes and size to get.

He tried the Can-AM 500, Yamaha Grizzly 700 with PS, and a Polaris 500 and 700, and a Suzuki King Quad.

When the dust settled, he chose the Suzuki. He said to him, it was the smoothest riding and easiest steering machine, equal to the Can Am. He did like the Can Am, but they were the same price as the King Quad 700, so it was a no brainer as to what to buy.

He took all of these machines and drove over a curb at 10 MPH at a 45 degree angle to check the bump steer. Even the new Yamaha with power steering jerked the handle bars no worse than the Suzuki.

Old 07-27-2007 | 11:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

i can only coment on what we own. 06 500 sportsman and 06 can am outlander. mine being the 500, 400 belongs to the wife. both of these machines have been good to us. i have had other people ride them and as far as comfort the polaris is a smoother ride. the seat is wider on the polaris, softer on the can am. i really like the rear suspension on the can am. the power of the 400 rotax is amazing. the polaris has nice interior storage for smaller stuff that won't get wet. stock tires are better on the polaris imo. they are still fairly new, so no major or minor problems yet. the can am does come standard with a 3 yr. warranty. i like my polaris but if i were to buy another one for myself someday it might be another can-am. i have hauled and towed some big stuff with the polaris and am very happy with it. i also like the 4wd on the can am. yes they say you have to stop to engage, but i feel if your going to get into rough stuff think ahead and engage it before you need it. this is my .02 for whatever its worth!

Old 07-28-2007 | 11:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Honeyduck96

...the Polaris SP800 based on my uses and In My humble opinion is the best looking machine out there. <div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>

BEAST looking machine? You were just kidding no?</end quote></div>

oops I meant best