Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Buy this Brute Force 750 or No?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007 | 10:18 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Buy this Brute Force 750 or No?

Hi all.

I have a quick question I hope you guys can help me with. I am about to purchase a 2005 BF 750 with only 100 original miles and 25hrs for $4500. I know it's a decent deal and the bike is in literally excellent condition.

Here's my question. I am buying this exclusively because of the IRS. I am an avid hunter and other than playing with the ATV on the land outside of hunting season it primarily will be used to get to/from a treestand and drag deer out. I have heard these bikes have handling problems. I don't want to spend $$ on aftermarket tires/rims as I don't plan to race, or ride it like a mad man really. With that said, will this bike feel comfortable over ruts, rocks, creek crossings, etc to make me happy? I currently have an 06 BF650 SRA and I'm tired of getting thrown around going over the ruts, etc..

SOO, considering what I am doing, is this bike going to make me happy? (I am set on a Brute Force btw and don't want to spend much for if I can avoid it). THANKS!

Old 08-01-2007 | 11:44 PM
Trailblazer

i own a 06 brute 650i and i love it. it gots major *****! i mean it screams right outta the box! the irs isnt as sporty as the straight, and is little harder to power slide but when you want to have some fun all you have to do is crack the throttle!
the suspension rides much smoother over ruts and rocks and gets much better traction, but the springs are so stiff. unless you plan on pulling stumps i would set the springs at full soft. thats what i did and it rides much better. it floats like a boat over everything(metaphorically.) and gets better traction. some people still say they are too stiff, but these are more sport than utility quads. if thats the case you should invest in a shock/ spring set. i think mine rides fine the way it is. i got me some mudlite xtrs and some ss108 wheels and that has also made a huge diff in the way it handles.

Old 08-02-2007 | 09:13 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks a lot. The lack of answers fed my doubts. I instead went with a 2006 650 4x4i. The reviews of the 650 Brute IRS were all glowing and the handling problems I've read so much about the 05 750's were no where to be found. Your post just solidifies my decision, thanks!

Old 08-02-2007 | 11:57 PM
Trailblazer

good decision. youll love it. for what you want it for without spending too much for it i would have went with a brute or a grizz. i had a hard time deciding between the two. eventually it was final cost and winch that sold me. the 650i is the exact same bike as the 750 minus the 100cc of displacement and they both weigh the same. dunno who decided the 650 handles any different except that that 750 is a better choice for mud if someone wants the extra torque for huge mud tires. ive heard the 750 uses almost twice as much fuel as the 650 and only has about 5 more hp stock.
get rid of those crappy stock tires and wheels they make the bike ride and steer like hell and they arent puncture resistance at all. i think they actually attract nails. get a nice set of treads and youll enjoy it much better for any type of riding. you can get a nice matched set affordably. they arent just for mudding and racing they really do make a big difference.
at any rate have fun. btw, check out <span class="FTHighlightFont">http://www.brutecentral.com/</span ft> its a brute lovers paradise and you can find out anything you want to know about your new quad. enjoy
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-04-2007 | 11:37 AM
Range Rover

Buy it! I have a 650i and couldn't be happier. Just make sure to be easy on the throttle the first few times you're on it....you can't imagine the power on these things...my 650i nearly pulls my arms out of their sockets.