Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Fluffy "Mature" couple need help picking a two-up ATV

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 07:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluffy "Mature" couple need help picking a two-up ATV

We are a "mature" couple, not exactly svelte, but not huge either and we are looking for a good general purpose ATV that will carry both of us. We just purchased a small toy hauler that will only hold 1 ATV so we want one that will be multi-functional. We would like this ATV for fishing trips that could carry both of us when we want to run up the river to that remote "super" fishing spot but would also be good for my husband during hunting season. I know the Polaris has their "two-up" units but I have heard they aren't that good mechanically. Is that true? If the Polaris IS actually a good unit, which model? Money isn't too much of a concern, but I do like a good deal so would like to get the best machine for the best price. Can anyone shed any light on it, or does anyone know of any other makes and models that would accomplish all these things for us? I know if I show up at a dealership with no information I probably won't get the whole skinny and they will probably ALL tell me theirs is the best. So if anyone could give me a little information on what to look for and ask for, and maybe even suggest their personal favorites, I would really appreciate it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 08-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fluffy

Most of the two-ups are top of the line models for each manufacturer. I know that Polaris, Artic Cat and Can-Am all have several sizes of two-up. I think that Can-Am has the largest selection from 400cc to 800cc.

Then, there are the side-by-sides.

Pick up some of the latest ATV mags, Lots of basic info there.

Jaybee

Old 08-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default Fluffy

I have never ridden a 2up myself but we have a couple cats in our club and some other friends of ours have the older bomb with the step through. They each like theirs. There was a 2up review a while back in one of the atv mags but can not remember which. The true test is how it feels when you are on it, how the seat feels, the backrest, how tippy is it, how much bounce, does it have enough power to climb a decent hill with 2 "fluffy mature" people on it.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Range Rover
Default Fluffy

Ride all three, then decide. I spent many hours researching before picking my 2up. The dealer is a factor also. Each manufacturer has pluses and minuses.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default Fluffy "Mature

A couple of my friends have 2-up quads, and I would rather hike than ride one of them! They are way heavy, and their extra length makes them extra clumsy in tight turns. The weight of the extra rider is usually up high, which raises the center of gravity.

If I were you, I would look at the side-by-sides like the Rhino, etc. They at least have a roll cage, so you won't crush yourselves when you roll it, and believe me at some point you will roll it!

Old 08-14-2007, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider
Default Fluffy

In Wisconsin can't ride a side by side on the trails pretty much only on private property.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Fluffy "Mature

u might want to check out a kawa side by side it will fit in a toy box heck look at a lift kit more agressive tires and all accys. they work great for larger people and they will take u bout anywhere the reg quads will mike

Old 08-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Default Fluffy

I would go with a I.R.S. suspension for sure, as for Polaris not very good mechanically I don't think that is a true statement, I have over 1300 miles on my 2006 Sportsman 450, And my wife and I both love them!!!....

I had my two ATV down to Arctic cat and Polaris .....I got the better deal at Polaris.....Plus I like the front Storage!!!........Shop around and see what you like......I bought two instead of one two-up......More fun for the other half!!!!!........Then there is no fighting on who is going to drive this time!!!...LOL..LOL...Caper........................ .

Old 08-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Fluffy

I hope I'm doing this correctly...I just wanted to thank everyone who responded to my question. It all really helped. At least now we have some information to help us procede. Thanks again all.....

Old 08-21-2007, 06:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Fluffy

Thanks so much for the information. You have all been great. At least now we have some information to procede with. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Fluffy "Mature" couple need help picking a two-up ATV