Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

honda and can am. help me choose. plz plz plz plz.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honda and can am. help me choose. plz plz plz plz.

i am looking at two atvs right now the can am ds250 and the honda trx250ex. i don't know which one to choose. i have heard that the ds250 has a throttle limiter that lets it only go 45. but i have heard that if u remove that it will go about 55 or something. i have read that the trx250ex can go about 54-55. is this true? i figure the ds250 will go faster since it has a bigger engine and a bigger bore. but the ds250 whiegs a lot more than the honda trx250ex because of the cvt. but the extra power makes up for it right? just give your opinions on my opinions. plz i really need good help. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Get the Honda. Bought the ds for the wife, and have never been impressed with it's speed or suspension.

Much more aftermarket stuff out there for the Honda as well.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First lesson you need to learn is that faster doesn't mean a thing, if you don't have the chassis and suspension to handle it. Neither of these machines are really full on sport quads, so just get over the which is faster thing!

Instead, take a look at the new Yamaha Raptor 250 or the Honda 300EX....these are real sport quads!

Old 09-10-2007, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

get the faster one.always go for the speed.sorry I dont know which one is faster though.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: QWODER

get the faster one.always go for the speed.sorry I dont know which one is faster though.</end quote></div>

OK, that's good advice if you are using the machine as a commuter vehicle. If you actually plan on riding for fun, top speed is important, but should no be a deciding factor. One machine may be geared for much more acceleration with less top speed which would be much more desirable if you ride in lots of tight trails. If you ride primarily on dunes or in open fields, top speed will count for more. Ask yourself how you're going to use the machine, and then decide. My quad only does about 50-55, but I ride mostly tight trails and have only gotten it up to full speed a couple of times. If anything, I'd ask for less top speed and more acceleration. Just my $0.02