Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

First bike....need opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 01:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First bike....need opinions!

I am able to get a 2005 Raptor 660 SE from a family member, it will be my first bike. My family has ridden bikes all my life and I rode my parents 250R's way back in the day. In the last 10-15 years I have pretty much only ridden farm bikes and like 350's (automatics) etc.....

I really want to get this bike, I have a great deal on it........but im getting told by everyone that its WAY to much bike for me. What do you all think? I want something with power, my aunt doesn't like it because "too much power" but on the other hand, my cousin who sold it to them it was her first bike and she loved it. I am 25 and not some wimpy gal.....I want the power.

Do any of you know of girls who ride these bikes?

Old 09-19-2007, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

I say get it! My cousin had a 660 he kicked down to his wife when the 700's came out. She rides it like she stole it! No problems at all. I don't know what she weighs but is only probably about 5'6'' tall! She tears it up in the sand dunes! Just take it easy at first until you are used to it then go tear it up yourself!! Have Fun!!

Old 09-19-2007, 03:47 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, I assume you have ridden it already???? If not, ride it before you commit.

I personally never liked this machine, and I have to say that my friends who bought them never kept them very long! It is narrow and carries its weight a little high in the frame, so it comes off a little tippy. If I had one, I would have to widen it, and economically that just wouldn't be worth the $$$ or trouble.

As for the power, just don't push the button in to far! Seriously, the one place I see folks getting into trouble on these is on steep hillclimbs. They punch the throtle and wheelie it out from under themselves. My buddies wife did this at the dunes and it flipped 15 times (we all stood there and counted them!). Did lots of damage, but she (his wife) was ok.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

i agree with recon, ride it before you buy it. if you've ridden 250's im sure you'll be fine..it'll just take some getting used to

Old 09-19-2007, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the advice so far. I'm buying it from my aunt and uncle who bought it from my cousin who kept very good care of it. She had a baby so not riding much now. My aunt apparently doesn't like it at all, she has been riding many years but it just too much power for her I guess.

I definately have the option to really try it out (which im doing tonight) before I make a decision. I rode my parents 250R's way back in the day before they sold them.

I'm REALLY hoping this bike will work for me, I have the chance to get it, know where its been and make payments to my aunt and uncle.....so its really a good all around deal for me.

I'm sick of so many people underestimating me with this bike, my friends and some family are tellin me its WAY to much bike.......grrrr

Old 09-20-2007, 12:40 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I said, I find the 660 to be tippy...at least in stock form. What I do to all my quads is run rims that have a greater offset, and wider tires than stock (ITP Baja rims and ITP Holeshot XC tires for desert). This widens the quad about +3" in back and +2" in front, for a nice little increase in stability. That is the minimum I would do to the 660...or I would be 2-wheeling it through every turn!

Old 09-20-2007, 03:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I rode the bike last night! I LOVED it, I think I can do this. It will take time to get to be a better rider and really use all that power, but I love the bike.....im excited!