Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Need and Want an ATV part 2 !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2001, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have left a couple posts now on ATV's and you guys have been extremely helpful. Like I said earlier, they are expensive so I want to get the right one. I have learned a lot already. In my search for a new ATV I have already eliminated the Rubicon based on it does not have selectable 4X4. So that one is out of my hunt. This leaves the Grizzly, Kodiak, SP500, and AC 500 auto. Based on these four, I have learned a lot in the past few days. Remember my requirements are it has to plow snow, it has to be sporty enough for trail riding and it has to have good reliability. On these remaining four this is what I think, and please respond with agreeance or disagreeance. I need to hear it all! I feel that the Kodiak will do fine for trail riding but will lack in the snow plow department. I feel that the Grizzly is the other way around. Great for plowing snow, but not so much for trail riding. I'm also curious about the fan cooled over the liquid cooled engine in this machine. I like what I have seen about the Arctic Cat so far. I believe it can do all of the plowing I want it too and it will still be asking for more. And I have heard that it is a great trail machine as well. I have also heard great things about the Polaris SP 500. Is there really a lot more maintenence on this machine over the other 3? Without riding these machines yet, I am trying to go into the dealer with a vast amount of knowledge and comments from you fine folks! Based on what I have seen, read about in brouchures and read from you guys, I believe I like the AC 500 auto and Polaris SP500 best. But that is also before I have ridden any of them. Thanks again for all of your feedback. Remember>>snow plowing, trail riding (but gettin' down and dirty) and reliability. Thank you!

Old 01-11-2001, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

eaaicf,

they are very expensive and the ac is less expensive than the sp500. personnally i think they are both excellent atvs and polaris does offer a lifetime belt warranty (i wonder why??). all i can say about yamaha is that they make some damn good outboard motors.

texascat.

Old 01-11-2001, 03:44 AM
Pro Rider

Eaaicf:
Sounds like you're on the right track, though riding each will probably be your deciding factor. I think I'd pretty much agree with what you stated, and agree with T-Cat as well. All the machines are quite pricey, so you definately want to get one you'll be happy with. And, like he said, in my area, the SP is a bit more money than the AC. In fact, about $1,200 more here in my hometown-which was one of the deciding factors for me when purchasing two 'Cats. The Polaris dealer wouldn't budge on price at all, even for two machines. Not sure what it's like in your neck of the woods, but it sounds like from what 2YellowSportsman was saying, up in the NY area, there's only a few hundred dollar difference between the two.

One thing to consider though, the IRS of the Sportsman may argueably be the smoothest riding machine. Although, the rear swing axle of the 'Cat is pretty amazing as well. Now, for the thought bit-in my own personal view, I prefer a strait axle for hard work, as opposed to an IRS rear end. Some may agree, or disagree with me on that one, about the strength issue, but for heavy working conditions, I'll take a strait axle any day over the IRS. Again, that's just my own opinion there.

Rear breaks might be of concern as well for mud riding. The 'Cat has disc breaks, as does the Polaris-I believe, though could be wrong on that. The Kodiak has disc breaks, while the Grizz has drums. The Grizz I test rode seemed to have terrible vibrations from the plastic all the way around. This was the demo model, and that may have been the problem. I did ride with a Grizz at elk camp, but he had so much stuff packed on his racks -almost as much as I carry!- and even bungeed to the fenders as well, so that wasn't a fair comparison, as it would have kept it from vibrating. You will get some vibrations though from probably every new machine out there, till it gets good and broke in anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Only other thing I can say is don't buy the first machine you come to. Make sure to give each machine on your list a fair ride, keeping an open mind, even if you think you have already made your mind up. Even if you stick with your original decision, at least you'll know what you passed up, and feel content you definately got the machine that is best for you. Also, don't let the dealers get to you! You've already got a bunch of great information from a bunch of great guys on the forum here, so you have that bit of knowledge at hand already. Dealers may try to persuade you one way or the other, putting other various brands down, or knocking certain features in the process, just to sell you their own brand. Try to find a good dealer as well, one you feel you will be happy working with, should the need arise. This may not sound like anything important, but should that warranty be needed, it's good to have the dealer on your side, not the manufacturers!

Sorry to be so long winded, hope that gives you something to think about. Best of luck in the decision, and most importantly, have fun!

Mike

Old 01-11-2001, 05:11 AM
Trailblazer

Eaaicf The sp500 has several grease zerts that need greased every so often, but other than that they require no more maintence than any other 4x4 quad. The power, ride, and ability of this machine make this small maintence factor moot. Ride as many quads as you can and then you will know you have made the best choice for yourself.

Old 01-11-2001, 03:20 PM
Trailblazer

Cowboy makes a great point... make sure you ride them all. The first one I rode was the Rubicon and I was ready to buy it. Then I rode the Prairie and thought I would be happy with that one. The AC 500 was next and I was ready to go home with it. Then I rode the SP500HO and realized how much of a difference the suspension can make. The AC 500 was my second choice, and I still feel that if I was looking for a primarily work machine it would have been my first choice. The SP500HO was definitely worth the extra money. When you ride them both, you will see what I mean. Make sure you don't just ride on a flat, smooth surface... turns out the trails in real life are anything but. Try jumping one a couple feet and see how it feels... you may not be jumping it at home, but it will tell you alot about the suspension. Try to find a dealer that carries several brands so you can make an immediate comparison. I rode the Polaris, Kawasaki, and Artic Cat at the same dealer... they also had Bombardier. I lined them all up, rode them one after another (each of them a couple times) on the exact same track... you won't have a better opportunity to compare than that. Ride them all several times before you make your decision. Then come back to the forums and find out how much you should expect to pay. Here is a website where you can actually buy Polaris ATV's (for a decent price, too.) Your dealer should be willing to match or beat the prices found here;
http://www.polarispowersports.com/atvs/polatvs.html

Old 01-11-2001, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

Eric

Sorry I missed your early post. Always glad to help out a fellow Northwest Ohio rider. As for the comparison between the two machines, I am a die hard Polaris rider so you know which direction I would lean. Both are great machines. Where do you plan on going to buy an Artic Cat? I think there is a dealer in Napoleon. As for Polaris, the Maumee dealer has the best prices around, but service is not the best. The Wauseon dealer is a little higher (not bad though), but service is a little better than Maumee (and closer to you). I think they may let you test ride one at Wauseon. Maumee does not have any room for a test ride. I have not heard anything good about the atv dealer in Defiance (you know the one), but have no first hand experience with them. I ride with some guys from Defiance that work at the GM plant there. Good guys. Check out my pictures in my website below and see if you recognize any of them. One has a newer Kodiak. Email me if you have any questions about area dealers.

Old 01-12-2001, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

I know very little about a Kodiak so I have no opinion either way. I think the Grizz is a great machine but it has a common swingarm rear suspension, and is not liquid cooled. You can ride the thing & get your impression of the suspension, but you will never know if you need liquid cooling until you ruin an engine without one. We have run our ATVs pretty hard in the past, and had engine troubles due to overheating, even with Hondas. For this reason I can't recommend anything without liquid cooling with a clear consience. For alot of people, air/oil cooling may be plenty, but once burned, twice shy, if you know what I mean.
This leaves the AC and Sportsman. Either one is a great machine. The Sp is super for trail riding, and good at work. The AC is super for work, and good at trail riding. The faster the trail, the more advantage to the Sp. The Sp rides like a 'Caddy and the Cat is built like a tank.
Keep in mind the AC will have less maintanence. This is mainly zerks to grease on the SP, but it is something to keep in mind.
Drive them both (or all, if you are still considering the Kodiak) and get the one you like best.