Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

A NEW GUY HERE SENDING UP A S.O.S

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 11:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A NEW GUY HERE SENDING UP A S.O.S

I my name is Tony i have a street bike background but i'm currently trying to sell my 07 gixxer 750 so i can get a quad!!!!!!!

I will be doing mostly open dirt area playing dragging and probably a little bit of wooded trails/ muddy riding. So about 50/50 on play riding racing friends and trail riding-bashing.

I have in my sights the
Yamaha -raptor-700 and raptor 450
Honda trx 450
Suzuki R450

whats the benifit of a electric start VS a kick start.
whats the benifit of the rator 700 besides a higher top end.
Whats the top end of the listed ATV's.

Can they all go through at least a tire height amount of water/mud

Old 12-31-2007, 12:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

For what your trying to do I would get the Rappy or a Z400.
Any one of the 450 are pure race quads. I don't think they would be a good fit for the way you ride. You make power by winding the **** out of them. Just like any race engine. They are very peaky.

The Rappy has a bunch of torque. The 450's have a bunch of HP. Sort of compairing a 69 Camero with a 302 to a 69 Camero with a 427 big block in it. With the 302 you are always shifing it to keep it in the power band. With the BB you just gas it and blow the tires off.

The benifit of an electric start is you hit a button and go.
In a word, torque.
75 or so.

That will depend. If it's sticky thick mud...........mmmmmm.......maybe not. If it's just dirty water, sure.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

the Z400 does it still run about 60-70? the guys i see out in the dirt are running 450's some have utility quads that they doctored on and they all run pretty fast i don't want the NEW slow machine. If the electric start goes out is there no way to start it. can you pop the clutch on these things

Old 12-31-2007, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

raptor 700, the 450's like to be on a track more than the 700.
Electric start is nice so no kicking if you have ever had a dirt bike or an atv with a kick start. One flood out is more than enough to sit there and kick out to make you want an electric start.

The 700 doesnt need to be revved out as much to make power.

Yhea they all will handle the tire height of mud and water without too much trouble.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

ok it sounds like i should go big then maybe the HONDA 700 or the Raptor Thanks guys

Old 12-31-2007, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

yhea you can pop the clutch on them to start them without too much trouble. Even the semi-automatics if you can drag one you can start it.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:00 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

The Raptor 700 has massive bottom end torque, but falls a little flat on the top end. The 450's are all rev, and make their power way up high in the RPM range (there is a replacement for displacement!). The 400's are slower, but they have superb all-around handling. You have a mixed bag of riding, so you don't want to specialize in any one thing!

For example, I ride my 450R strictly in the open desert, because it doesn't lug down and doesn't like to go slow in the technical stuff. On woods trail, I ride the 400EX because it has lots of bottom end and the engine will lug down throught the slow semi-thecnical stuff. If it is super technical, I will ride the Rancher.

But, if I could only own one machine that had to do everything, it would be the 400EX because it is the best all-around machine.

Trending Topics

Old 12-31-2007, 01:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

So if i get a 450 the honda the yammi or suzuki i mean most places i ride will be pretty open even the trails are open enough for me to get up a little in the meat of the band.

the 700 falls flat up top but will it be up front once it goes flat?????

i know for sure it will be 450 or 700

i like the looks of the quadracer 450 but how does it compare to the yammi and honda

Old 12-31-2007, 05:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I have experienced, in a drag or whatever the 450's and raptors are ballpark the same. A lot will depend on what has been done to them as to who wins. Coming from a gixxer I think you may appreciate the high revving nature of the 450 class. Not many of us have the $$ or garage space like RR to have multiple machines; you can make do with a 450 in just about any situation. All I do is track and fast trail riding with an impromptu drag thrown in from time to time, and the YFZ suits that just fine. Of course, you could maybe look into the Polaris and/or KTM 525's as well...

As for the 700, it is not a lock it would be up front before topping out stock vs stock. All these quads really wake up with a pipe/filter/efi controller.

The QRacer is a slick machine that can be really woken up for $40.00. All the 450's are comparable so you may want to research a bit for features/dealers/pricing, whatever.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:55 PM
Trailblazer

For what you are doing you would want a Raptor 700 definitely. The 450's will make a bit more power but you really have to ride em and shift em a lot. The 700 will be a LOT less shifting and funner machine to ride unless you are racing on a track or the dunes. With the Raptor you can be low in the RPM range and still have torque available.

If you can help it, don't even mess with a kick start unless you have a quad for racing.

Quick Reply: A NEW GUY HERE SENDING UP A S.O.S