Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

NEWBIE question about buying new ATV

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 07:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWBIE question about buying new ATV

I am new to ATV's. I live in Southern Utah, and am about to purchase one. I have decided on the Sportsman 500 EFI (or maybe the 500 EFI touring). My question is this: Can 2 people ride on the 500 efi? First, let me state the obvious. I know this model is technically only designed for one person, and I guess they warn not to let 2 people ride on it because the ATV will be off balance? However, a few of my other friends have told me they let their girlfriend/wife/whoever ride on it with them and they feel its safe, and its ok. I do have a girlfriend which is why I want the ability to ride 2 people. Is it worth spending the extra $$$ for the 500 EFI touring ??? Do all you people on this forum ever allow another person to ride on your ATV with you, and if you do, do you feel safe/unsafe doing so? Is it a responsible/irresponsible thing to do? Let me make something clear too. I am not a dare devil, I do not take risks, no stunts, no show-offs. I only want the ATV for casual trail-riding. I would occasionally go exploring, but only with myself on the ATV. Anyone's input and opinion is welcome. I will spend the extra money on the TOURING model if neccessary. (I weigh 175 lbs, my GF weighs about 140.)

Old 01-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I needed to ride 2-up, I would get a side-by-side....with a roll cage!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

Yes riding 2 people on a 1 person atv is very irresponsible. Get a 2 seater if you want to ride 2. Besides a touring will blow away a 1 person atv on the trails in Utah!

Old 01-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

NOT SURE OF THE NAME OF THE QUAD POLARIS MAKES BUT THEY MAKE A QUAD THAT CAN RIDE 2UP. 2X I THINK NOT SURE BUT IF IT WERE ME I WOULD GO WITH THE 2X BECAUSE NOT ONLY IS IT SAFER FOR YOU AND YOUR RIDER THEY ARE LEGAL TO RIDE 2UP ON.AND THE SUSPENSION IS DESIGNED FOR THIS TYPE OF RIDING. THE PROBLEM WITH RIDING 2UP ON A SPORTSMAN IS ONCE YOU START GOING UP A STEEP HILL WITH 2 RIDERS IT CAN FLIP OVER BACKWARD AND TRUST ME YOU DONT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN AS 700LBS. IS ALLOT OF WEIGHT TO GET OFF OF YOU OR YOUR RIDER AND THIS IS ONLY IF YOU ARE NOT SERIOUSLY INJURIED FIRST!!!!

Old 01-22-2008, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

My first year of riding with my wife was 2up on a 700 sportsman. I did not feel in danger at all but helmets kept banging. After a year the next spring informed her that she needed her own machine. I personaly just did not care for 2 up riding, but I like to play a bit. Same with on my sled. I know others prefer 2up just a matter of taste I guess.

1 thing I do have to admit though... Sure felt nice rubbing together. ;D

Old 01-22-2008, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If she is going to be riding with you a lot, then go ahead and get a real 2-up machine. Yes, You *can* ride double on a regular ATV, but it's cramped (bowing to upnort's rubbing theory of course [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ) and the passenger doesn't have anywhere to brace her legs. The balance is off since some of the weight is behind the rear axle. This means that many hills are best taken with you driving and her walking - bet she'll love that. My brother has a 2-up Artic Cat even though he rides single most of the time. He's very happy with it as a single rider and it is really nice when we have one extra to ride along.

You can get 2-ups from Polaris, Artic Cat and Can-Am.

Jaybee

Old 01-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

Don't listen to the do gooders on here that think they kissing someones hind end for posting that riding double is dangerous, irresponsible, uncomfortable.....whatever. If I were you I would spend the extra money to get at least the 700 and that way riding double would be no problem at all in the power department and you could tear it up by yourself if you want to.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: zorro700

Don't listen to the do gooders on here that think they kissing someones hind end for posting that riding double is dangerous, irresponsible, uncomfortable.....whatever. If I were you I would spend the extra money to get at least the 700 and that way riding double would be no problem at all in the power department and you could tear it up by yourself if you want to.</end quote></div>

Yeah listen to this guy! Who needs helmets! who needs rules! ride where you want, when you want, heck with everyone, tear it up!
or be responsible and do the right thing with out having to be told what to do! besides most places are not allowing 2 up on a single passenger atv!

Old 01-23-2008, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

you cant ride two up leagley but tso people can defenitle fit i ride
2 up on my lt230 all the time i have even had three people on my
friends 250ex

Old 01-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am really glad so many of you responded because I think that has helped me to buy the 500 EFI, not the touring or the X2. (Don't worry, I will not follow the reasoning of the silly poster who said to just buy a 700 and do whatever I want). I reached this conclusion because MOST of the time, it will be just me riding it. She will only go along for a ride occassionally, and I will NOT be going up any hills with her or anyone on the back. I will admit I am not experienced since I've only driven an ATV once in my life, but there are PLENTY of places I can go in So. Utah where the land is flat. So I could just cruise along at a low speed on some basically flat terrain. Im not going to tell my girlfriend this because she would think it sounds mean, but I can't justify spending the extra $$$ just to make her ride a little more comfortable, and since she doesn't really have a strong interest in ATV's anyways. She's not hard-core into outdoors ot any type of sports anyways, so she would'nt enjoy me taking her for rides that went up or down steep hills. When I get married, I will just buy an ATV for my wife (only if she wants one.) Thanks for everyone's input! Really helped me make a reasonable decision.

Quick Reply: NEWBIE question about buying new ATV