Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which of these would you buy

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which of these would you buy

Between those two ATVs it may come down to which dealer has better customer service. I think the Honda 420 engine is a better engine, but everything else on the ATV is better with the Yamaha.

DV

Old 02-24-2008, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider

2008 420 4x4s have 2WD/4WD selectable TraxLok; has efi, liquid cooling, so i dont see where they are really behind here on this one, unless i am just missing it here. it has no IRS, but some people dont like IRS as opposed to SRA. the kind of terrain riding uopn and in and waht he wants to accomplish and spend will help determine this. im not going to make it honda vs yamaha b/c both have really been good and reliable but hondas have genrally been a little easier on maintenance tasks. the only machine id consider buying that did not have a 'manual', shifting tranny would be a renagade. those rotax twins put out some good power...

i say manual in quotes b/c the tranny in the 420 is 'auto' (i guess semi-auto is the correct term) meaning you still have to shift it, but without a clutch lever. not a real auto like the rincon (designed after a car auto), or cvt like most other utilities.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all of the ideas and opinions. I have a few more questions....

How important is EFI and IRS? The Honda has the EFI but Yamaha has the IRS.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a single rear axle?

Between the two(Rancher/Grizzly 450), which one is safer to operate? I have heard that Yamaha's are tippy.

thx

Old 02-24-2008, 12:00 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: highway312

Between the two(Rancher/Grizzly 450), which one is safer to operate? I have heard that Yamaha's are tippy.

thx</end quote></div>

IRS gives you much more ground clearance and soaks up the bumps better.

EFI is not as big a deal ,it just delvers the fuel.

Both bikes are are safe to ride the Honda should cost much less than the grizzly or something is over priced.

The Rancher is Honda,s budget Mid size ATV while the 450 Grizzly has every feature available on a ATV. IRS,Disks Brakes,Low range,Diff lock, 25" wheels and long suspension.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: highway312

thx</end quote></div>

If you're an old coot that just wants to putt around in the fields, the Honda or just about any atv will be fine for you. If you want to race around a little and keep up with your friends you want to get an atv a little more modern!

IRS is independant rear suspension the best for smooth ride and ground clearance. Easier to go faster over rough terrain.

EFI is fuel injection, carb is outdated! EFI is better all around drivability, fuel mileage, easy starting and more power. You can't even buy a car with a carb anymore, atvs will follow soon.

If you can spend a few more $$$ Polaris SP500 EFI is a great atv.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:42 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

No power advantage with EFI or every motocross race circuit would be using it. I ride with and rode a SP 500 EFI and if it was suppose to be faster or accurate faster in some way over the H.O carb SP500 it hides it well.

Here is a 2008 450 Motocross shoot out and the Suzuki RM450 only bike using EFI and it comes in last for power. EFI Vs the rest.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>You can't even buy a car with a carb anymore,</end quote></div>

Nascar and Dagsters still uses carbs, beside ATV EFI is a simple "throttle body" type not what you find in your modern cars.

"Throttle Body" Injection is the most simple type of EFI and the closest to carburetion in operation. Fuel is injected above the throttle blades by one or more fuel injector nozzles. Both fuel and air are carried throughout the entire intake tract.
Older late 80s Cars with throttle body injection locate the fuel injectors in the throttle body, thereby allowing an older engine to be converted from carburetor to fuel injection without significantly altering the engine design.

"Port Fuel Injection" is the most widely utilized form of injection today. Fuel is injected at each intake port, usually at the cylinder head and intake manifold. Only air travels through the intake tract until it reaches the point in which fuel is injected. This method allows a wide variety of intake system designs to be explored and utilized depending on application, thus making super- and turbo-charging extremely feasible.

"Direct Fuel Injection" is a new technology. This system utilizes injectors similar to diesel engines in which fuel is injected directly into the cylinder. Obviously cost is high due the custom cylinder head configuration and high-temp injector required. Not much is known about this system relating to performance usage be the foundation has been laid for previously untold amounts of attainable power potential.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

If you take 2 identical atvs the 1 with EFI will run better than the one without!
Yes the EFI is simple your only injecting 1 or 2 cylinders!

Racers use carb because it's cheaper and they only set them up to perform in 1 rpm range WOT!!! EFI performs better in all around use.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:50 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Professional Motocross racing teams, do nothing because its cheaper,they will rebuild the engine after every race if its needed . If the "throttle body" EFI had a power advantage they would add it themselves even if the manufactures did not offer it.

They do not run at WOT 100% on any MX Track.

Even odder is the carbed KX450 is the fastest stock MX bike. Yet Kawi uses the same 450 motor in there sport KFX450 ATV but with EFI and its not top dog in that sport Stock.

Even Polaris only has EFI on there 500 and 800 Sportsman Utility ATVs, but not on there sportier 500 Scrambler or race seroius Outlaws which have a Keihin 39 mm FCR carbs?

Old 02-24-2008, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

Professional Motocross racing teams, do nothing because its cheaper,they will rebuild the engine after every race if its needed . If the "throttle body" EFI had a power advantage they would add it themselves even if the manufactures did not offer it.

They do not run at WOT 100% on any MX Track.

Even odder is the carbed KX450 is the fastest stock MX bike. Yet Kawi uses the same 450 motor in there sport KFX450 ATV but with EFI and its not top dog in that sport Stock.

Even Polaris only has EFI on there 500 and 800 Sportsman Utility ATVs, but not on there sportier 500 Scrambler or race seroius Outlaws which have a Keihin 39 mm FCR carbs?</end quote></div>

What are you talking about?!?
I raced mx and I was WOT! out of every turn.
Drag racing WOT thru the 1/4!
Nascar WOT around the track!
a carb works ok for that but if you want better mpg and driveability you want EFI!
Scrambler is 10 yr old tech.
get a clue.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:33 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Get a clue? the 500 Fuji motor in your 500X2 or the newest Sportsman 500 EFI is the same as the Scamblers 500 since 1997 but it has a 40mm carb instead of EFI. The 525 Outlaw is the fastest and newest ATV Polaris has, yet Polaris will not put its super performance EFI from its "Utility" ATVs on it,s race ATV?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>a carb works ok for that but if you want better mpg and driveability you want EFI! </end quote></div>

Atleast you left out "More Power". this time.