Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which of these would you buy

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which of these would you buy

My 500 is basically the same as your 500 but mine has EFI and yours is carb. EFI is rated at 36 hp and the HO is rated 34 hp. So EFI does make a differance! I also have a 500 Scrambler and my EFI engine is a lot stronger than the Scrambler 500 HO ever was. The Scrambler would run alot better with EFI. The reasson EFI isn't on the Scrambler is because of cost! it adds about $1000 to the price.
If Polaris updates the Scrambler I'm sure it will include EFI.

The oringinal post was about EFI and IRS and it's best to get them if he can.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

My biggest problem with EFI is that if the computer ***** the bed 50 miles from your house, you're *****ed. No getting around that. If a carburetor has a problem, you can take it apart and fix it on the trail. I understand that EFI has come a long way and is almost 100% reliable, but the ECU that controls it can go bad without any warning. I wouldn't mind having an ATV with EFI, there are a ton of benefits, but I also wouldn't overlook a machine for using a carb. I just don't think that EFI is that important on an ATV unless you run in very cold climates and/or extremely varying altitudes.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BradW

My biggest problem with EFI is that if the computer ***** the bed 50 miles from your house, you're *****ed. No getting around that. If a carburetor has a problem, you can take it apart and fix it on the trail. I understand that EFI has come a long way and is almost 100% reliable, but the ECU that controls it can go bad without any warning. I wouldn't mind having an ATV with EFI, there are a ton of benefits, but I also wouldn't overlook a machine for using a carb. I just don't think that EFI is that important on an ATV unless you run in very cold climates and/or extremely varying altitudes.</end quote></div>

Yes but all modern atvs use an electronic CDI ignition. That doesn't scare you does it? Maybe look for points atv!

Old 02-25-2008, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

when polaris went to the efi they designed it if the efi goes bad it reverts back to a carb style set up. it wont adjust for alt. or weather but it will get you back.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:51 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Polaris ECM set up from 2004.5 until now will not allow a ATV to run with a dead or unhealthy Battery,practically making the pull start back up useless. Now thats a change for the worst.

"If your little $35 ATV battery acts up your walking " = Brilliant.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

Polaris ECM set up from 2004.5 until now will not allow a ATV to run with a dead or unhealthy Battery,practically making the pull start back up useless. Now thats a change for the worst.

"If your little $35 ATV battery acts up your walking " = Brilliant.</end quote></div>

It is brillant! if you forget and leave something on the pull start will start the atv and let it recharge the battery! If you try to remove the battery or try to run a shorted battery the atv will not run! THis is to protect the ECM. You should mnot have your atv out if the battery is bad! Get a new one only $35.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:05 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

From what I hear, if the Battery is dead the ATV will not start or run period on the newer models. Is this not the case?

Old 02-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

From what I hear, if the Battery is dead the ATV will not start or run period on the newer models. Is this not the case?</end quote></div>

It will start and charge a good battery! If the battery is shorted it will not charge and will not run long! A shorted or missing battery will not complete the circut.