Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Obsessed about my weight

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008 | 05:02 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Obsessed about my weight

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RickCJ7

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sandec

lighter is better unless someone knows something I'm missing.

a Ranger is lighter than a F 350? which is better!?!

I don't really think that's the same comparison. It's more like comparing an f350 to an f350 that weighs less. I really don't see much of any features the 700 lb+ quads have that the 600 pounders don't. More plastic on the racks? Steel wheels instead of alloy? An automatic 4x4 or diff lock instead of manual ones? An engine with the same amount of power that is built heavier to save the manufactures $? I really don't see it just looking at the specs. They all pull about the same, same power to weight ratio, about the same ground clearance, independent suspension, lockers, reliablity, ect, ect.

Then there's also the saying, "there's two types of people that ride quads, those that have rolled and those that will."

I've never rolled and don't plan on it! Not everyone rolls there atv?!?

I think this is a sums up to the whole underlying discussion. I've put 400 hrs on my quad in a year and it's been rolled 3 times, once by me, twice by friends by a beginner, intermediate (myself), and an experience rider. Where I live and the type of riding I do, 4x4 and as light as possible is the best combination and is a huge advantage. Heavier quads won't cut it and neither will 2x4 sport quads. For some people a sport quad will take them everywhere they want to go and more. For some people they will never need anything but a big heavy 4x4 where lighter serves no advantage. Right now the manufacturers just aren't making a quad that works well for me.

http://www.barefootmotors.com/ . With very little specs and no price it has me at least intrigued for now. Until then hopefully I'll find something that keeps me happy.</end quote></div>

It's a Polaris with the engine removed and electric motors and batteries, I've heard around 20K</end quote></div>

20 k for an electric quad, well forget that idea.