Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Brute, Grizz, Sportsman, or King- Cant Decide between the 4

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brute, Grizz, Sportsman, or King- Cant Decide between the 4

That's good to hear [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Ugh..there is something w/ this thread, the only one that gives me 5 email notifications...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 04-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Trailblazer

next month there having a shoot off between the outlander 800, kingquad 750, and the Grizzly 700

I cant wait to get that issue

Old 04-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider

First of all, don't listen to ANY of the shootouts in ANY (may the biggest sponser win) magazine . The best thing to do is (if you can) find each quad and ride it. Next would be to come on here and talk to us that actually have them. Keep in mind that you have to weed through all the posts about quad's that people don't know what they're talking about. Yes any of those would be a good choice and some of the best advice is to ignore top speed. The grizz seems like it has some nice features (power steering, efi, locker) but just so you know the Polaris does have the best rated 4wd system. It's like saying don't fish lake Erie for walleye because they don't stock it......no crap it is already loaded with reproducing walleye. No, the polaris doesn't have a locker because it is already a true ALL wheel drive. I've only rode one grizz and it was an older (like 2000 or something) 660. I personally didn't like it at all, that big single vibrated too much and I though it was very tippy. I'm sure the new ones are better and you'll like it just fine but, like Rick I'm just letting you know the "facts".

Old 04-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Range Rover

Zorro, I have to call you out on your "facts". Since I am the guy who has written the last 3 big bore shootouts as well as the upcoming finale article for QUAD Magazine, I assure you the winner we pick is the WINNER.

I can't speak for the other magazines, by myself and QUAD Magazine call it like we see it. We don't play favorites to advertisers.

On a side note, the 2000 Grizzly 660 you are giving advice on pails in comparison to the Grizzly 700 EPS. They are two completely different machines.

I don't mean to rub anyone the wrong way, but we do research to see how our readers like our stories. We pay attention to forums as well to see what type of problems people are having with their machines. We also have a website and forums(a sick new one will be unveiled soon) for our readers to give suggestions. So stop on over and say hi!

Preisman64, you're gonna love the next issue with the Outty 800 going against the King Quad 750 and the Grizzly 700. I wrote that article the way I wished all shootouts were written. When we unveil the winner, there will be plenty of "facts" to support it............along with some other really cool information that I believed our readers would want to know about the participants.

Zorro does give some great advice though. Go ride as many of the machines as you can. That's truly the only way you'll ever know for sure. Although.....I'm sort of biased.....and I'll say my opinion is 100% correct!!!!!

Old 04-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: lancems007

Zorro, I have to call you out on your "facts". Since I am the guy who has written the last 3 big bore shootouts as well as the upcoming finale article for QUAD Magazine, I assure you the winner we pick is the WINNER.

Well from what I see magazine shootouts (haven't read your mag because the few times I do pick up quad magazines I just have to laugh) so "probably" including yours is a waste of money for me. Not to mention I got tired of the 125 pages of advertisements and maybe 15 pages of worth while material. Usually the first test they do with the UTILITIES is a race ( which isn't so bad.....BUT THEN RATE THEM FOR IT)!!!!!?? I don't see many comparisons in the 450 mx shootout of which one plows more snow. In fact I don't ever see anything like that for the Utes. Now you try to say what is the "best" 4x4? For who? You? The farmer in up state NY? The redneck in Mudtown AL? The hunter in AZ? The fishing guide in Alaska? Yes, I do know about testing vehicles, I was a test rider for HD at the Ford proving ground in Yucca AZ.

I can't speak for the other magazines, by myself and QUAD Magazine call it like we see it. We don't play favorites to advertisers.

On a side note, the 2000 Grizzly 660 you are giving advice on pails in comparison to the Grizzly 700 EPS. They are two completely different machines.

Didn't I say that in my post? But thanks for letting everybody know twice that the 08's are better than the bikes that are 8 years old.

I don't mean to rub anyone the wrong way, but we do research to see how our readers like our stories. We pay attention to forums as well to see what type of problems people are having with their machines. We also have a website and forums(a sick new one will be unveiled soon) for our readers to give suggestions. So stop on over and say hi!

Preisman64, you're gonna love the next issue with the Outty 800 going against the King Quad 750 and the Grizzly 700. I wrote that article the way I wished all shootouts were written. When we unveil the winner, there will be plenty of "facts" to support it............along with some other really cool information that I believed our readers would want to know about the participants.

Zorro does give some great advice though. Go ride as many of the machines as you can. That's truly the only way you'll ever know for sure. Although.....I'm sort of biased.....and I'll say my opinion is 100% correct!!!!!</end quote></div>

So anyways, what facts did you straighten me out on? The fact that polaris is already ALL wheel drive therefore doesn't need a diff lock, the fact that the older grizz's were known for being tippy? The fact that the polaris isn't the same as a limited slip on a car where the one side has to spin in order for the other side to dig?

Old 04-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Range Rover

Actually is was the advice about not listening to <u>any</u> shootout or advice in <u>any</u> magazine. I think that's bad advice for a guy looking for the machines we covered in our shootout. I'll never pick a winner based on ad revenues. It may or may not work that way at other mags. But....both that I've worked for have allowed us to tell the story honestly.

I'm glad you mentioned the comment about who the best machine we picked pertains to. I too think it's stupid to do top speed tests with 4x4's. For 90% of the people that use them, they could care less. I had all of those people in mind that you mentioned when writing the article and I hope it comes across. It sounds like that's what you are looking in an article too, right?

You mentioned you didn't see the issues and still dismissed our mag as probably being a waste of money. I'd argue that it is not.....so give it a shot sometime. You might like what you see! We work very hard for our readers to give them a 100% honest opinion.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I am not a big beliver in what magazines have to say about shootouts between two products that being atv's, vehicles, or whatever it may be but quad magazine is top knoch. I have been a subscriber to Quad since day one and I have to say it is a the best atv magazine hand down. They have allot of usefull info to read about. They go to allot of diff locations to ride and test quads, you will find good places to take trips with the family that are atv friendly.

Just keep up the good articals/know hows and you will have a subscriber for life!

As to the topic on hand the Sportsman all the way!!!!!!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

I still say "you" can't pick a "winner" for a utility quad. With all the different applications people can use utes, I just don't think anybody can say "this is the best one" no way.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

Just a thought here but how about a tilting table test. Rig up a table that tilts sideways and back and forth and see how many degrees you can tip each ute before she flops over. Then do it foward and backward. That would be a neat comparison. Certain not the one goes 72 and another goes 74 so it gets 5 points overall and the other gets 4 points. How dumb!

Old 04-04-2008, 01:24 PM
Range Rover

I'm not sure if you are being serious or sarcastic about the tilting table test Zorro?

I'd argue that I can certainly pick a best overall machine. In fact, we'll do it and even explain how we picked a best overall. Without letting the cat out of the bag, I will tell you that the final winners were not chosen simply by me alone. You'll have to wait a few weeks to see for yourself.

I can find something I like and dislike about every machine. Remember, we are picking a best "overall" considering all riding situations. I believe we owe it to our readers to give them an accurate evaluation, because alot of guys don't have the capability to test ride all of them. So....we sort of have to tell them what we feel.

So.....if we run it like a science experiment and expose each machine to the same test riders and the same riding conditions, we can certainly pick a best overall machine.

Quick Reply: Brute, Grizz, Sportsman, or King- Cant Decide between the 4