Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

some one please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008 | 05:57 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default some one please help

hello, i might buy a 99 400ex it was took care of,its got the big bore kit,runs great, are these atvs a good ride or junk thanks one more thing i am a big guy 6ft and about 250 not all fatlol i work out 90%beer in the gut what about the 98 polaris sportsman 400cc 4+4 i have a chance to get one of those too what one is a better atv what one is worth more for trade in or just to sell? i dont know what to get i love sport and the mud please help//////i dont know much about either one but if you where to choose what one will be fun and not brake down till i get a new one???99 400ex or 98 sportsman 400 4+4 whats worth more when its time to sell

Old 03-17-2008 | 10:56 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

The 400EX is dead solid reliable....until you bore it out to 440!!!

The Sportsman is a weird design. My buddy has one, and it does ok out on the trail, but I sure don't like the ergonomics, and with everything Polaris, I question the quality.

Old 03-17-2008 | 11:03 AM
|
Trailblazer

what about the polaris?good atv or not

Old 03-17-2008 | 11:14 AM
Red Rider

See my other post. I edited it, and you may not have seen the edit....

Polsris just seems to come out with these weird designs...I mean front shaft drive and rear chain drive (with no bash plate!)....what's up with that???

Old 03-17-2008 | 11:24 AM
|
Trailblazer

so i take it i should just get 400ex till i trade for something new

Old 03-17-2008 | 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

it all depends on how much mud you ride in.at about a foot deep make sure someone is there to pull you out.the scammbler is a hybrid quad part sport part ute.it has a sport body either a 400 or 500 motor and 4x4.go to the polaris forum and ask about the scrammy.reconranger gets upset when someone suggest a polaris and their (weird designs) they where the first with an auto trans,i.r.s.,irs on a sport quad just to name a few.i guess they're good designs now that Honda is starting to copy them

Old 03-17-2008 | 12:45 PM
Red Rider

My buddy has one, so I am not totally just talking off the top of my head here! What I notice, is that in technical terrain his rear has to slip before his front end will kick in. This doesn't cut it when you have the thing stuck between some rocks, and the rear has to spin wildly before the front end will even do anything. That said....he seems to like his quad just fine!!!!

I have over they years had to tow more than a few Polaris machines home, and that is where my bad Polaris vibes come from, plus I think their designs are quirky (like some guys who build sleds were sitting around one day, and after a rew beers decided they could make some money selling quads...to unsuspecting folks)!

Old 03-17-2008 | 12:53 PM
|
Trailblazer

lol i dont know what one to get, i just want a ok atv for now,so i take it the polaris is going to suck in the mud

Old 03-17-2008 | 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

the rear wheels have to slip 1/5 of a turn before the front wheel kick in. polaris rules the mud there's a video on the polaris forums on a thread called polaris awd demonstration on pg 2 i think it's a real world video. you can see how much the rear wheels slip before the front kick in

Old 03-17-2008 | 01:46 PM
|
Trailblazer

sounds good are they pretty fast or are the 400cc dogs