Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008 | 06:30 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default What to buy?

Hi, I currently own a 2001 honda 350 4x4. Never have a problem with it, deffiantly one of the most reliable bikes. But I would like to upgrade sometime soon, and im not exactly sure what is the best to go with anymore. Im starting to hear different things about the new hondas, verses what used to be said " stick with honda most reliable" back with the old 300. I know everones got there own opinions but whats suppose to be better for trail use, fairly aggressive driving style to. Im looking for something up to 600 i dont want to get a huge bike, they usually dont fit through some of the trails. thanks.

Old 03-30-2008 | 08:51 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Default What to buy?

You're in luck, there are lots of good bikes out there.

Yes, if you ask on any particular forum you'll get lots of brand-loyal responses. The truth of the matter is that all the major brands are turning out very high quality and reliable machines these days. While Honda's are still very reliable, so are all the others - it's now a moot point.

Decide what you want - Engine size, 2wd or 4wd, SRA or IRS, fuel injection, front locker, guages etc. Then don't forget the all important budget. Figure out which features are important to you and go shopping. These days most 'utilities' are actually sport utilities. Many have 6" to 7"+ of travel and up to a foot of ground clearence. BTW, once you get to the 400 class and above all the ATV's are physically the same size so fitting on the trails is not an issue. The only bigger bikes are the two-ups and a few odd ones out like the AC Thundercat that is a little longer that average.

Read some of the mags for shootout winners in the same class of bike, while not 100% accurate, they usually can separate the best from the worst in any one class. Beyond that, sit on or ride as many as you can. For me, some bikes just don't fit me right - that's enough to help me with my buying decisions.

Jaybee

Old 03-30-2008 | 10:40 PM
Trailblazer
Default What to buy?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jaybeecon55

You're in luck, there are lots of good bikes out there.

Yes, if you ask on any particular forum you'll get lots of brand-loyal responses. The truth of the matter is that all the major brands are turning out very high quality and reliable machines these days. While Honda's are still very reliable, so are all the others - it's now a moot point.

Decide what you want - Engine size, 2wd or 4wd, SRA or IRS, fuel injection, front locker, guages etc. Then don't forget the all important budget. Figure out which features are important to you and go shopping. These days most 'utilities' are actually sport utilities. Many have 6" to 7"+ of travel and up to a foot of ground clearence. BTW, once you get to the 400 class and above all the ATV's are physically the same size so fitting on the trails is not an issue. The only bigger bikes are the two-ups and a few odd ones out like the AC Thundercat that is a little longer that average.

Jaybee</end quote></div>

Old 03-30-2008 | 11:34 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Default What to buy?

I sold a super reliable 2000 450ES Foreman for a 2001 SP500 and I,m sure the Foreman will be more maintenance free in the long run then the Sportsman, but the power and most of all ,ride quality of the Sportsman was so much better over the Foreman that even more reliability was not my most important concern any longer.

Old 03-30-2008 | 11:52 PM
Trailblazer
Default What to buy?

i would look at getting a honda rincon. They are one of the smaller lighter utilities but still have alot of good features. They only weight 600lbs dry vs a 700+ sportsman.