Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Help desiding between 2 Utilities- Foreman / BF

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008 | 03:37 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Help desiding between 2 Utilities- Foreman / BF

I'm finally going to be buying my first ATV. I have been borrowing for a while so I'm not totally new just never owned one myself. I'll try and give as much info as possible to help in the decision making.

I will be using it for camping, hunting, fishing, and just exploring on old logging/mining roads. There would be some mud rock and creek crossings (nothing extreme). It will pull a trailer full of gear in and out of some of the camp sites from time to time. Elevation would be 0-4500ft.

I have spent a lot of time on a Honda Foreman 4X4 ES (450cc) and it fits my needs great but now I see its been changed to a 500cc in the last couple years.

I'm choosing between a new Foreman ES (I don't care about the power steering), and a Brute Force 650 (Don't care about having IRS). These are the only 2 dealers for a few hour drive and I want to stay local. Also I want an auto tranny. The size/weight fits perfect into my S-10. I don't care about top speed, the fastest I have ever gone is about 45-50 usually I'm going under 30mph.

I was going to just get a new Foreman but I see the specs of the BF and I see things I like about both and they are basically the same MSRP.

Foreman Positive - I have road on one and like it. I like the ES shifting
BF Positive - Bigger engine, Locking front differential.

I'm wondering on the BF with only 2 forward gears how is it with engine breaking coming down steep hills? Also how smooth is the low end torque applied? There might be some times when I'm slowly working threw a rock pile with a trailer and loaded racks for camping/hunting and I don't want to be bouncing all over. Also how dramatically will the bigger engine hurt fuel millage?

The one big thing I'm wondering is what is the better company to deal with for contracts? I will be putting at least $1,000 down on signing if that makes a difference.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance

Old 04-02-2008 | 09:47 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"

The BF is a CVT machine meaning that it's fully automatic. Engine braking is very good on the BF, no problems going down hills. For the same price the BF is the better bike - more features with the dif lock, more power with the V-twin, better brakes and suspension. The Honda will get slightly better fuel milage. Either one will fit your needs. Both are good, reliable machines that have been around for several years. Other than a choice of how good the dealers are, I'd go with the one that fits you best.

Jaybee

Old 04-02-2008 | 09:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Both of these bikes are great machines. I have driven both of them, but I have not owned either one. The Foreman is more of a work horse than the Brute Force, but when you want to have fun the Brute Force is slightly more sportier. I would sit on them and see if you can take the BF for a small test run. I would get the one that is the most comfortable to you, because you will be happy with either one.

Old 04-03-2008 | 02:36 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the responses. Before I make a decision I'm going to call the BF dealer and see if I can take a quick ride even if its just around the lot to get the feel of it. I'm leaning toward the BF I just hate to drop the money on something thats not going to make me happy and having never ridden one makes me a little nervous. I'm thinking I might try and play the 2 dealers off each other and see if I can get one to drop price a little more then the other. Well, I'm going to be giving it about a month or so before I sign any papers. I'm going threw a move and a job change right now so its going to have to wait just a little bit longer. Thanks again.

Old 04-04-2008 | 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

For the same price I'd be on the BF in a heartbeat.